Search results

1. P

Bookshelf speakers that sound good in a...

Advents...BIG babys! The Smaller Advent is a great way to go. A true bookshelf speaker with a nice bottom end and good imaging. Just remember they are 4 Ohm speakers!
  2. P

Micro Acoustics FRM-3

FRM-3's Those little speakers are better than you might think! I had used a set of AR-18's through high school and had to sell my system. Later, going to college I needed a new system...in 1982 Circuit City had a small store in Knoxville so I went there. Having owned the AR's with a...
  3. P

Vinyl only spin list

On "rotation" this month: The Who Sell Out-The Who, MCA Pressing Crime of the Century-Supertramp MFSL 1970's pressing Imperial Bedroom-Elvis Costello MFSL Captain Beefheart-Trout Mask Replica (a really oddball clear-red colored...
  4. P

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Here at the cabin I'm still enjoying a newly acquired MFSL pressing of "Imperial Bedroom" by Elvis Costello. An excellent pressing, more distinct, energetic, dynamic than the original. The original pressing sounded "crowded" at times (i.e. the end of "A Man Out of Time) and sounds "all there"...
  5. P

m-97xe with a m-95 stylus

Back in the wonderful '70's I had a motley collection of Shure styli I chose from to use on OPT's (other peoples turntables) which were more often-than-not BSR's with Shure carts. The stylus may have been in it for seven or eight rocking' years. It could be an insult to refuse to play your album...
  6. P

Which entry level turntable?

I think it is a fine little budget table. It reminds me of my old BIC. I have a Marantz in my bedroom but I had bought two tables on Ebay that were damaged in shipping (I didn't pay for either but still have them...) I knew I wanted a full-auto deck for the living room but $300 was pushing it. I...
  7. P

Scratches on new vinyl?

I have been disappointed in most new vinyl bought UNTIL I began washing the records before playing. It is a step that should be done better in production but is not. I use a Spin-Clean but am a budget guy. If you cannot afford it careful pan washing in a padded pan (you can make one with some...
  8. P

The Marantz that came home...after 25 years.

My best friend had been watching me acquire a collection of semi-working vintage turntables. He said one day, out-of-the-blue,"I think I have something of yours...maybe". That was all he said and I took little note of it. Last week he shows up at the door with my ancient Marantz 6300. It was...
  9. P

Improvements in audio quality.

I found a pair of HPM-100's this week. My neighbor had never shown me this stuff. I offered him $160.00 and he said OK. They are 97%. Model A's. I had never heard these. I have always liked AR/EPI/Polk etc, and these things remind me why. I am leaving them on my system with my Polk monitor 70's...
  10. P

Do you think audiophiles have super hearing?

I too have spent a lot of time mixing, mostly 8-track home studio stuff but the occasional 16 or better (I start getting a headache with more tracks...) and you do have to take every single sound into consideration. The musician wants a certain sound, the listener will want a cohesive sound so...
  11. P

Is it time to say goodbye to vinyl?

go to an Ihop or Waffle House. A 1000 calorie breakfast is a great start...
  12. P

isn't the Mcmuffin retired?
  13. P

...of course, my mistype... I saw that I had typed," vinyl beats the sound of CD's and evidently left the rest off! Just on some mastering jobs, as you were saying. As far as the no/lossless question, I see your point but with digital everything is "sampled" like frames of a film. Much faster...
  14. P

archive to DBX or Dolby S There are archival options that "cut it", IMHO. The best DBX is impressive. At double tape speed, great but Dolby S is excellent if you can find a good deck. CD killed the cassette tape star-Dolby S!!
  15. P

Oh, Ebay.CA has an AR-XA for sale NEW-IN BOX !!! get yours today!!! Seriously, It had been hiding in storage. It looks...new, packed in original carton, stickers-in-place....dream on. It'll go fo 750.00!!
  16. P

As Catman said many wise things, I'll agree there and add that a full analog path is the only truly lossless wat to record. And there are analog reproduction and recording devices that are 100% lossless. Vinyl has so many disadvatages in the dust, wear and damage department but there is no doubt...
  17. P

Greatest AMERICAN Band?

Captain Beefheart, Drumbo, Zoot horn rollo and the rest of the Magic Band 1968-1973. The album Clear Spot also featured a great mix and mastering job...
  18. P

Shure history question

Oh, as to the cartridge itself, at $55.00 from Amazon I don't think there is anything better for the price. It is a good cartridge at a great price. It gets sweeter as the hours pass until broken-in. If I could only have one sub $75.00 cart this would be it...for now. I don't mean to step on...
  19. P

Shure history question

I destroyed my M97xE stylus Saturday. I'm getting too old for this. I've never damaged a stylus by stepping on it. Or any other way. It was just starting to break-in which is important on these, it seems. I ordered a replacement but I wish I could clean my stylus without three pairs of glasses...
  20. P

Shure M91e stylus advice needed

You can get a new Shure M-92E for about $25.00, or an Audio-Technica AT92E. Entry-level elliptical, generally w/a .4 x .7 mil. stylus. Spend 55 dollars and you can get the Shure M97Xe. It has a finer shank and better stylus giving a cleaner soundstage and less distortion though those cheapish...
  21. P

Surround sound vs stereo speakers

three are better than two which is... :banana:Why limit ourselves? A decent, low-power receiver from the '70's, a set of good speakers, a decent turntable with the best cart you can afford OR a SACD player (I'm gonna catch it for this...) and you can have secondary systems everywhere. Lots of...
  22. P

Turntable to complement McIntosh system

Turntable for the people Well, I live in the boondocks and have bought a number of Ebay's finest and it is a crapshoot. How well a turntable ships without being prepared properly is important. If you want a turntable, not a hobby, and want to spend less than $400.00 and you don't have a friend...
  23. P

so why do we still have tape decks?? what's your reason?

All of my old four-tracks and masters are on cassette - ALSO I have a NOS Sony deck with Dolby S that finally makes Dolby sound good. Period. It's a great deck to record vinyl on. Pure Analog and quiet as a mouse. CD's doomed Dolby S but if you see one, get it. Your clunky reel-to-reel will see...
  24. P

A score...I think?

I wish I had co-workers like that. Come to think of it, I just wish I had a job! The Akai stuff may not be bad, either. Depends when it was made but they never made junk, just some mid-fi/low power stuff in the 90's. Let us know about it, too, although the JBL's are the "cake" the icing can be...
Back
Top Bottom