Search results

1. marc brown

Technics Flat Pre-amp SU-9070 circuit design

I've never heard a complaint like this about the 9070. Have you got the 20db cut enabled? I'd have it checked out before changing any transistors.
  2. marc brown

Epicure model 2 crossovers recap

Stovens, How did they sound after your tweeter upgrade?
  3. marc brown

Hafler 500 Amp

Have you measured and adjusted the idle bias on the DH-500? Have you measured the DC offset in both channels? That's where I would start.
  4. marc brown

Spending The Evening With AR XA And The Patience Of Marc Morin

Where did he source that dustcover?! That's beautiful!
  5. marc brown

Getting a KA-7150 relay to click

So I disconnected the preamp section of the 7150 and the protection relay clicks in. Any tips on what to check next? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. marc brown

Thorens, AR or Dual?

I agree that they're both good tables (Thorens and AR). AR's can be found for much less $$$. Both are classic and worth the investment. I went with the AR because it was my first real turntable when I was a teenager. I had no idea how good it was when I got rid of it to 'upgrade' to a...
  7. marc brown

Thorens, AR or Dual?

Regarding age of the thread, I don't think there is an expiration date on threads talking about 20, 30 and 40 year old tables. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. marc brown

Thanks for the tip and getting me pointed in the right direction, OvaEasy. Also, thanks for the offer of the feet. I've got a bunch of spare 7100 parts but no feet. I might even have a spare Qe34 that I pulled from a donor 7100.
  9. marc brown

What does it mean when a KA-7150 won't come out of protection until you turn the volume up to 11 (o'clock). I just got this new guy that I'm working on rebuilding. He's got no feet and his power cord was cut. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

11. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

DIY interconnects Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

Thanks for the compliments. Marc Morin had info on the arm wand. I assume it's Technics. The top plate was easy. I used some 120 grit sand paper wrapped around a sanding sponge. Sanding the top plate took about 5 minutes. The switch is an NTE sourced from eBay or radio shack. The RCA...
  13. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

I got some work done on the table this weekend. The walnut plinth was lightly sanded and finished with a few coats of watco Danish oil. I drilled the top plate for the new switch and tried to apply Rustoleum Hammered chestnut. It looked like crap so I scraped it off and did a hammered oiled...
  14. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

I forgot already, what's the preferred oil, royal purple or Mobil 1? ;-) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

Bobins, the ability to change head shells is the primary benefit. My XA didn't come with a head shell so for me it was almost a no brainier. Well, that and the fact the tonearm needed rewiring. The AR head shell can limit your selection of cartridges. It is very light and it's "original" but...
  16. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

No worries Marc. The top plate is still waiting for its refinishing.[emoji106] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

Good eyes, yep a DL160. :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

You can't do a lot on your lunch hour but you can polish up some tarnished metal bits and plan what you're going to do during the weekend! :banana:
  19. marc brown

Rehabbing an AR XA

A few weeks ago, I found an AR XA on eBay. It was in rough shape so I shipped it off to Marc Morin. Marc did a lot to bring the table back to life. He replace the tonearm wand with a bayonet mount wand, rewired the tonearm, replaced the delrin pivot bearing with sapphire bearings, polished the...
  20. marc brown

Refurbishing and modding AR-XA vs. new VPI Traveler

I love listening to good music while I'm working on audio gear. I pick up classic integrated amps on eBay and rebuild them to fund my hobby (addiction). I also build DIY audio equipment: various MyRef versions, Pass B1, Pass Aleph J2, etc :music: PS I just picked up a mint copy of that album...
  21. marc brown

:thmbsp: Turntables don't come any simpler or easier to rebuild than the XA.
  22. marc brown

Awesome I think it's freaking awesome that a 45+ year old turntable can inspire such passionate discussion. Last year, I purchased a Kenwood KD2000 to get back into vinyl. This year when I decided that I wanted a better turntable, I started doing a lot of research. My budget demands that I...
  23. marc brown

Technics SU-9070 MC impedance too low

I love the vintage gear. I recently won an AR XA on eBay that I'm having Marc Morin rebuild for me.
  24. marc brown

Thank you! I like it very much. :o) I've recapped and thoroughly serviced it. It sounds wonderful.
  25. marc brown

I've really been enjoying my vinyl and I'd like to graduate to a LOMC cartridge like the Denon DL-301. The only problem is that my SU-9070 has an input impedance of only 47ohms and the Denon's impedance is 33ohms. Rule of thumb is 10 times the output impedance for the MC input. My ratio is...
Back
Top Bottom