Search results

1. ricohman

Happy Birthday ricohman!

Thanks for all these birthday wishes :)
  2. ricohman

Another "new" XSV-3000 - initial review

It was pricey but so long ago I can't remember. I just had another retipped with excellent results though! Search my post for a review :)
  3. ricohman

Pickering XSV 3000/D3000 stylus has a new life

I also no longer tell the tale of how I destroyed that D3000 stylus!
  4. ricohman

Pickering XSV 3000/D3000 stylus has a new life

Years ago I was fortunate enough to buy two brand new D3000 stylus' and a brand new XSV 3000 cart and stylus. One stylus met it's demise at the end of my clumsy fingers, one stylus was worn out and one played sparingly. I recently sent to the D3000 with the broken cantilever to needlestein to...
  5. ricohman

Playing brand new (older) vinyl?

I came across a brand new copy of Roxy Music Avalon. A roommate of mine bought it new in 1984 for $7.99. Anyway it's mine now and I promptly unwrapped it then cleaned and played it. It sounds dead quiet and brings back a lot of memories. Anyway, this record is probably worth all of $5. So I have...
  6. ricohman

MA 282e vs D3000

Interesting. Because that is what I am using. Tubes and horns.
  7. ricohman

MA 282e vs D3000

I swapped in a new MA 282e tonight and was truly disappointed. It even lacked in volume at low levels. So I put the D3000 back in and its playing right now through my Altec 19's. I have sent a D3000 to needlestein for a rebuild and I truly hope this sound can be replicated. This is my last...
  8. ricohman

My D3000 stylus is nearing the end :(

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=1354 Thanks for the heads up. I will order this shibata style. I would like it to sound as close as possible to the D3000. The knowledge on this site never fails to amaze me.
  9. ricohman

Thanks for the replies. I think I may just order one of the D3000 replacements then. I see turntableneedles has one for $177 and the LPgear stylus is just $80. Years ago I read that there was no suitable replacements, I see that has now changed.
  10. ricohman

The D3000 stylus I bought from turntableneedles.com many years ago is nearing the end. I can hear it now on certain records. I love this XSV3000 cartridge and when I bought the new D3000 I figured by the time I was 50 I would have moved on to a DAC. But now I see I will add a DAC instead of...
  11. ricohman

JBL 4435 Restoration

Nice job. I rebuilt a pair a basket case Altec 19's a few years ago. Big speakers are big work.
  12. ricohman

Mellotone grill cloth for my Altec 19's

I recently recovered my Altec 19's due to a cat claw incident. I recovered these 19's years ago when I restored them, but the cloth I used had a purple tint. Not quite black. And it was very thin. You could see through it in the light and it snagged easy. This Mellotone fabric is black. Real...
  13. ricohman

Cats and speakers....

The reason I read more about is because our local news channel did a story on it, calling it unethical. The vets they interviewed would not perform this procedure. http://globalnews.ca/news/1853495/declawing-called-unethical-taken-off-the-table-at-local-vet-clinic/...
  14. ricohman

Cats and speakers....

Yes, I would never declaw. I've read a bit about that. Sounds bloody awful. Some local vets here will not perform that procedure.
  15. ricohman

Cats and speakers....

That's a sad tale. That dog needs to be shot. I ordered the material to recover the Altec's. And the cat is now spay. Perhaps I can keep her off my gear. Or at least get my kids to keep the basement door closed.
  16. ricohman

Cats and speakers....

Good stories and bad stories. The claw trimming went well. She just sat there and let it happen. I'm going to buy some scratching posts and she is getting neutered Wednesday. I will recover these. I'll trim the frays in the meantime. Parts express has some premium grill cloth that kind of looks...
  17. ricohman

Cats and speakers....

Carpet clawing? Before I got this cat I asked a friend of mine (who has two) what kind of trouble I could expect. He couldn't really give me an answer because his cats don't really mess up or claw the crap out of his place, which is pretty nice. Maybe I can train this cat not to jump on things.
  18. ricohman

Cats and speakers....

Clippers. Now that's a good idea. Time for a trim tonight!
  19. ricohman

Cats and speakers....

Spray urine? This female cat has been using its litter box. Its going to be spayed soon. Does getting the cat spayed keep it from pissing on furniture?
  20. ricohman

Cats and speakers....

Good grief....what have I done!
  21. ricohman

Cats and speakers....

I've had dogs for a long time and recently my little girl wanted a cat. So 5 months ago we got a kitten. Now its a cat, and likes to climb. And now my Altec 19's have many little snags in the grills where kitty decided to climb up or scratch away to her hearts content. These speaker were...
  22. ricohman

Tube Tester Recommendation

I've been told many times my Stark 9-66A is a Hickok.
  23. ricohman

Some tube amp pics

After reading these comments I am going to keep my eye out for a lava lamp from the seventies. I used to see them at garage sales but I never thought about buying one. I think a lava lamp totally goes with tube amps.
  24. ricohman

Some tube amp pics

I brought home my work camera (EOS 70D) and thought I'd take a couple of pics of my 100w mono blocks at night. The glow of 12 tubes is kind of like a lava lamp after a couple of drinks.
  25. ricohman

Tube Tester Recommendation

I have a Stark 9-66A and I am very happy with it.
Back
Top Bottom