Search results

1. finnbow

What was the last movie you watched?

Finally got around to watching The Irishman, spacing it out in 3 segments over a day. Despite its prodigious length (3.5 hours), I liked it more than I expected to. It did start to drag after the Hoffa hit, but up to that point it impressed - kind of a Goodfellas without the dark humor/snark...
  2. finnbow

local weed growing discussions

I think they must realize that they're losing revenue to those who drive into DC or Maryland to get their whacky tobacky.
  3. finnbow

We started watching Poor Things and only lasted 15 minutes. Too weird to continue.
  4. finnbow

What tv show are you currently binging?

We just started Shogun last night after deciding to punt after the first episode of The Regime. Just the first episode has me convinced that it's going to be really good.
  5. finnbow

We watched the first episode of the dark comedy The Regime on HBO, starring Kate Winslet. I have read good reviews, but I'm not sure we're gonna follow thru on this one.
  6. finnbow

Try Sophie's Choice in which she had an epic performance.
  7. finnbow

My son's fiance had never seen My Cousin Vinny, so we had to fix that unforgivable oversight. It remains funny after about 10 viewings on my part since it was originally released. Next up for her is Raising Arizona, another comedy classic she hasn't seen.
  8. finnbow

What are you drinking now?

9. finnbow

Oppenheimer on Peacock. Having read the book upon which it is based, I marvel how someone can take such a book and re-imagine it for the screen. The screenplay was great as was the acting of Murphy, Downey and Blount. Of course, it didn't fully measure up to the book, but movies rarely, if...
  10. finnbow

Great movie, though given its length perhaps better watched in installments. What a cast.
  11. finnbow

Barbie on HBO Max. We very much enjoyed the first half, but thought it got bogged down in the whole patriarchy theme in the second half. That said, it was a feast for the eyes.
  12. finnbow

Name a movie that affected you deeply

Having lived in Germany for 11 years, it certainly was nothing new to me either. That said, it was one of the only times I left a theater and not a single person was talking to each other.
  13. finnbow

Just started Godfather of Harlem. I think we'll be sticking with this one for a while.
  14. finnbow

Name a movie that affected you deeply

Sophie's Choice and Schindler's List. The audience for both movies left in stunned silence.
  15. finnbow

Yep. Reading the book from the perspective of someone familiar with quality assurance and operational standards for American nuclear facilities was mind-blowing. The lead project manager for the Chernobyl reactor was forced into a posture of frequently just "making do" and "winging it." Just crazy.
  16. finnbow

And I wasn't even talking about shortcuts in design, but in their implementation (e.g., substituting inferior materials due to shortages, inefficiencies and corruption in the USSR).
  17. finnbow

The book that it was based upon "Midnight in Chernobyl" is really good and a fairly easy and engaging read. Being a retired civil/structural engineer who was involved in many very large publicly-funded projects, a number of which were nuclear facilities, I was blown away by the description of...
  18. finnbow

BMW and Mercedes, never again.

My wife has a CX-50 and my daughter has a Subaru Outback and I've driven both extensively. I much prefer the CX-50. The Subaru is more comfortable, feels "tighter" all around and has a much better road feel than the Subaru, not to mention the deal-breaker (for me) of having a CVT. The CX-50 has...
  19. finnbow

We've been looking for a good comedy and decided to try Parks and Recreation. After a few episodes, we find ourselves laughing out loud at least a few times per episode and Rashida Jones is as cute as a button.
  20. finnbow

They are both cast perfectly for their respective roles, almost as if the movie was made with them in mind.
  21. finnbow

The Menu with Ralph Fiennes and Anya Taylor-Joy. A very bizarre mystery thriller and dark comedy that takes on haute cuisine and the social pretensions surrounding it. My eyes were glued to the screen for the entire movie, but I'm still uncertain how much I liked it.
  22. finnbow

Fx Fargo series

I think Dot surprised Ole with an act of love (the prolonged biscuit scene), taking him aback long enough for him to reconsider the rationale behind his planned act of vengeance. She found that tiny little soft spot he had in his heart that nobody else had discovered.
  23. finnbow

Fx Fargo series

Indeed. Nearly all of the great crime dramas leave you hangin' in some respect. They rarely tie up everything real nice in a bow.
  24. finnbow

If you're ever down in southwest Virginia, I highly recommend taking in a show at the Carter Family Fold. While you're there, take in the (Smithsonian affiliated) Birthplace of Country Music Museum which commemorates the Bristol Sessions where the Carter Family (and Jimmie Rodgers) got their...
  25. finnbow

What are you drinking now?

A bit of cask strength Stellum rye before dinner, a Sierra Nevada Torpedo with dinner.
Back
Top Bottom