Search results

1. kotofei

Advice needed on soldering station with vacuum sucking

Greeting everyone, I have an old temperature-controlled soldering station which works fine but doesn't have a vacuum sucking device. For this purpose, I use a syringe pump which should be re-activated after each use. That isn't convenient, and as a B-day present I decided to get myself a...
  2. kotofei

Mitsubishi LT-30: Problem with stylus height adjustment

Performed a scheduled maintenance of my Mitsubishi LT-30 linear tracker and run into a problem with adjustment of the height of the stylus over the record. The service manual suggests first adjust a tonearm height to get it horizontal (done successfully) then start the turntable and move a...
  3. kotofei

How I made a Mitsubishi LT-30 extra counterweight

Many of us, owners of an excellent Mitsubishi LT-30 turntable, got it without an extra tonearm counterweight. While not required for many light-weighted MM cartridges, this CW is necessary to balance the arm if you have a heavy cartridge such as most of the low-output moving coil ones. After...
  4. kotofei

2SC1000 transistors in 2230 phono and tone amps- replace or not?

I'm working on Marantz 2230 restoration and found that some people replaced the 2SC1000 transistors in phono stage and in tone amps. As replacements, KSC1815ETA and KSC 1845ETA were mostly used. Are the 2SC1000 problematic i.e. noisy or failure-prone? I've read that they are actually low-noise...
  5. kotofei

Owners of Pioneer PL-L800 TT: help needed with shipping

Hello, I need to ship my Pioneer PL-L800 and it turns out it's not that straightforward: few important things required for a safe shipping are missed. These are tonearm pad (see picture) with 4 small screws and 3 big screws that attach the platter to the TT's body. Anyone has these things? I...
  6. kotofei

Problems with LOMC cartridge azimuth setup

Hello, Looking for some help in explaining my Dynavector Karat 17D3 LOMC cart behavior during the azimuth setup. Either I’m doing something wrong OR the cart or some other hardware is defective. First, used Fozgometer and "pink noise" test tracks of the HiFi News test record (Side 1 track 4...
  7. kotofei

Defective 440 MLa cartridge - what to do?

Hello, I have an Audio Technica AT440 MLa cartridge that was kept as sort of spare and rarely used mostly because I couldn't set up a correct azimuth with it. Recently I fixed a Pioneer PL-L800 turntable that didn't have a working cart and decided to install the AT440 MLa on it. The AT...
  8. kotofei

Recommendation needed for high-gain amplifier for cartridge testing

Hi All, Need some DIY advice. Tried to look at the output of my LOMC turntable cartridge with the oscilloscope and, no surprise, didn't see anything since cart outputs 0.3 mV. In fact the scope can't see MM cartridge output (4 mV) as well. If I connect cartridge to a preamp and scope the...
  9. kotofei

Fixing a crack in Pioneer PL-L800 TA lift gearbox

Hello, I'm working on a Pioneer PL-L800 linear tracker. Got it off eBay local seller in mostly working conditions, just needing a deep clean and a new cartridge. The tonearm lift works but it's kind of sluggish so I decided to remove old grease from lift gearbox as was suggested here. Found a...
  10. kotofei

Can I learn what music was played on Spotify?

Dear All, I should confess right away that I don't know a thing about music streaming and so my question could be stupid. Anyways: is it possible to figure out what was the composition I heard? I was on vacation at Outer Banks, NC and we went to a boardwalk one evening. In a restaurant, I...
  11. kotofei

Orsonic AV-101 headshell and DIY Azimuth adjustment

I wanted to try an Orsonic headshell with azimuth adjustment for a long, long time. It was designed as anti-resonance one, was heavier than my current headshell that requires a counterweight, and looks nice. Several Orsonics have adjustable azimuth and on these AV-101 appears to be the least...
  12. kotofei

Help me understand this power amp input circuit

I am restoring a Sony TA-N330ES power amp and not sure what is the role for some resistors and capacitors at the input. Input signal goes first into the attenuator which is supposed to be used as volume regulator with sources such as CD players. Owners manual suggests to set it at the "middle"...
  13. kotofei

Please help to re-string the tuner of HK 930 receiver

Hello, I have a Harman Kardon 930 receiver in which the tuner string was very loose and rotation of the wheel didn't move the pointer. So I removed the string and tighten it up a little bit where it contacts the dial spring; however, I can't put the whole thing back. I have a SM and routed...
  14. kotofei

Harman Kardon HK930 idling current adjustment problem

I’m restoring a Harman Kardon 930 receiver and run into a problem with idling current adjustment for the right channel. The service manual calls for 15 mV DC across emitter resistor and the R. Ch. had 19 +/- 1 mV which is insensitive to rotation of a bias pot. Left channel is fine; in fact...
  15. kotofei

Upgrading HK930 Power Supply: How to connect new caps?

I have a Harman Kardon 930 receiver in which I'd like to upgrade power supply capacitors. Currently it has 4 6800 uF/50 V caps, two per channel and I plan to replace them with two 15000 uF/63 V, one per channel. Going with two instead of four is less expensive and create space needed for a new...
  16. kotofei

Replacing HK 930 old phono stage with modern one

I have a Harman Kardon 930 receiver in which I would like to upgrade a phono stage; however, modern phono stages have power requirements different from the old one and I don't know what to do. The HK930 has a phono stage as a separate PCB; it might be considered good back in the year it was...
  17. kotofei

Fixing non-working HK 930- need advice

Got a Harman Kardon 930 that was sold as "does not producing sound". Found SM with schematics; however, it appears to be very different from what is seen in the actual unit so I’m seeking advice of those who have some experience with this receiver. First test, with 1 kHz tone fed in the AUX...
  18. kotofei

Please help source a switch

Working on a Project Tube Box SE II phono preamp and it turns out its on/off switch is broken. It's a pushbutton switch, most likely ON-OFF, located in 18 V AC 1A power circuit. Nothing is written on this white thing with contacts that is soldered to a two metal "poles" that are in turn...
  19. kotofei

Dynaco PAS3 "rounds" square wave at high freqs-problem?

Hello, I tested my newly restored Dynaco PAS3 with square wave at different frequences and found that starting at 10 kHz or so the square wave doesn't exactly look square-it sort of rounds. This is seen in both channels. The schematics of the amp is different from stock: I removed tone...
  20. kotofei

Luxman TP-117 input selector isn't working

Good day all, I have a Luxman TP-117 tuner-preamp which has something wrong with input selection and I don't know how to fix it. Got the Luxman as "partially working" and without remote; it didn't amplify the signal. Since TP-117 requires a remote for full operation I got one and thought it'll...
  21. kotofei

Dynaco PAS3 Balance Pot Replacement

The stock balance pot in my PAS3 was out of specs: one channel has 1.08M total resistance while the other is around 0.68M. So I decided to replace it with ALPS RK27 250K pot that was left from another project. After the replacement I noticed that in order to get two channels balanced I need to...
  22. kotofei

Need help with Mitsubishi DA-A30 repair

Looking for help with Mitsubishi DA-A30 amp: one channel died during idling current adjustment without apparent reason. I’ve got this amp in a stock form a while ago and as always decided to do some upgrades. The Mitsu has four pots per channel, two for center potential adjustment and two for...
  23. kotofei

Please help identify the melody

Last month I was on vacation in Moscow and heard a music piece performed by a sax street player. The melody reflected the atmosphere of a summer night city so well that I made a short movie with my IPhone. However, I didn't ask the guy what exactly he was playing and now can't identify this...
  24. kotofei

Where to get Dynaco PAS volume control knob set screw?

The set screw in a volume control knob of my Dynaco PAS3 got broken. That long one which is screwed in the volume knob and used for securing the knob onto the shaft. Where can I get a replacement one? Thank you.
  25. kotofei

Tube phono stage with poor RIAA EQ- how to improve?

I am restoring a Bogen AP-200 tube amp which has a (tube) phono stage. It sounded not right from the beginning in comparison with other phono stages so all passive components were replaced. However, this didn’t improve the sound: it’s anemic and dull, with slightly bloated bass, muted high...
Back
Top Bottom