Search results

1. soundmotor

A/D/S line pecking order?

30+ years, 0 issues. Happy to post that under my non-sock puppet account.
  2. soundmotor

Can't believe no one has scooped this up

It would make an outstanding bar, seriously.
  3. soundmotor

Starting in the mid 2000s you were dealing with electrolytics hitting the 20+ year mark so that makes sense.
  4. soundmotor

In terms of unit volume, relatively lots of L1230, L1290, & L1590 were made. L2030 likely fewest made next to those L910 & L980, & L1530 as a group. Wish I'd been curious enough to go digging when I had access to that info to see what the exact build outs were.
  5. soundmotor

Speaker question

Interweb expert here... The rating on the speaker is often driven by marketing as much as engineering data, sometimes more. So, ideally you'd want to know what the minimum impedance dip for each speaker is and use that as the baseline to calculate the load. OTOH, your Aragon is a beast. I seem...
  6. soundmotor

Thrift store finds

In New England there are better sources for gear than thrifts. I hit them when I donate but rarely make them a first stop anymore.
  7. soundmotor

Put them in a hot car for a few hours then try to pry them off. NGR alcohol-based black stain applied with a cotton ball will make those cones look like new, Armor-All the surrounds too.
  8. soundmotor

Horrible accident with a Classic car!

Below is a dead ringer one I had in the 80s. Did not think about it much then but had some close calls with vehicles changing lanes because I was nearly invisible. One time in traffic I heard brakes locked up behind me; I was behind a semi trailer. The vehicle had missed we were stopped and at...
  9. soundmotor

Repair Work, I'm Getting Too Old

These were "Wearever" brand and I used them before on my VW. So far, so good there, it's been a couple years since that MacGyveresque foray...
  10. soundmotor

They're not so bad on the JBLs because they are on the surface and easy to get at. On the ADS though they are recessed 1/2" in a 1" square hole.
  11. soundmotor

These were one of the worst ergonomic / mechanical design screw-ups possible. On the earliest L200/L300, they used either the same push-in (or near identical) connectors JBL did and just as bad. A good solution is to bend stranded wire into an "L" and tin it. Having a 3rd hand is useful too. JBL -
  12. soundmotor

What is an ADS L410?

NSA, no such animal. IIRC, the L10s were not sold without the Model 10 signal delay. They were meant for the rear effects channels and were cheaply made relative to other ADS models. They have vinyl wrap and crossovers similar to the L200/L300. That's what they basically are with a larger...
  13. soundmotor

What is an ADS L410?

Those are L10s -
  14. soundmotor

Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

I am an unapologetic tool slut and over the moon on these additions: benchtop Berkroy rolling cutter & pan brake, and an Armstrong slip roller. Micro scale but they are beefy. The brake is ~40 lbs. Getting them ready for some derusting next, can't wait to get some copper sheet on them. (Price...
  15. soundmotor

Repair Work, I'm Getting Too Old

I'm supposed to done with driveway repair fun but could not turn away from my daughter's brake job. Dealer wanted over $500 for the rears only! After checking out the cost for "OEM" parts I could see why, Toyota drums were ~$143 each! On my way home I decided to stop at the local chain auto...
  16. soundmotor

240Z restomod

My brother-in-law drove his 240Z home from CA in the 90s and parked it in my father-in-law's garage where it sat for ~10 years. My father-in-law finally asked me if I wanted it as my brother-in-law had moved on to FL (Eglin AFB) and no longer had time for it. It was a bad time for me though as I...
  17. soundmotor

240Z restomod

IMO it is the best looking of all the post '80s Japanese GTs.
  18. soundmotor

The Terror of Door-to-Door Meat

There are cold seafood trucks roadside all over in my area (MA). Just about anywhere along the coast on into Providence RI has boats coming in with daily catch. For a few of these guys I am pretty sure they have been coming back to the same spots for ~15-20 years. I've never asked but they...
  19. soundmotor

What are some of the most over-the-top, obnoxious looking components from the 80s?

This era was when I was at peak enthusiasm and minimum knowledge. Everything was cool! I'll add to the playlist, Def Leppard, Nina Hagen, The Motels, B-52s, Rush, Simple Minds, Clash, & New Order.
  20. soundmotor

Vintage gear prices today

Every hobby I've been involved with has gone through this arc. Forever it seems it will always be available cheap and then one day it isn't. If something is interesting people talk about it and when they talk about it more people get interested and get involved. Slowly at first things start to...
  21. soundmotor

I want the walls to shake!

/sunfire
  22. soundmotor

What are some of the most over-the-top, obnoxious looking components from the 80s?

I bought my first real deck a couple years after these were gone. Agree on the look, they were excellent.
  23. soundmotor

This thread is way overdue if for no other reason than to remind me of what I should be looking for. /loved this era
  24. soundmotor

Looks like Yamaha is going back to their high end roots like Technics did

20+ years in the biz, we all dressed like this and swapped Cayman Island banking tips -
Back
Top Bottom