Search results

1. D

Differences in Vinyl LPs?

I dunno, but it should probably be a half-speed-mastered 45 rpm 12" single.
  2. D

Differences in Vinyl LPs?

The varying "hotness" Ken already described; when you look at the groove spacing, closer grooves on a less-loud LP means more music crammed on it (not good for sound, generally), and/or less bass. However, there is another reason to be less-loud that doesn't allow for such close groove...
  3. D

I didn't want to paint stripes!

I've got some rock hard speaker baffles that beg to differ. It can take several weeks to cure, though, which sucks. This project doesn't look like it needs more advice, except I'll say that I don't personally think the difficulty of using rattle cans for anything glossier than satin is...
  4. D

Easy bracing for this cabinet?

Probably. To answer the question I didn't answer back on 1/6 above, that's not a frame around the bracing, it's the frame that the removable panel is bolted to, attached to the sides.
  5. D

If This Ain't DIY, I'll Kiss Your (_|_)

Plasma drivers have been around a long time, they just tend to be dangerous or require a supply of gas or extreme voltage or... basically it's just always something no matter which way you go about it. There are current and past retail speakers using them. Google "plasma tweeter", "singing...
  6. D

Acousta-Stuff - Stuffing - Question

There is an endless variety of foam. Gedlee speakers use some type of 30ppi open cell foam filling the very large HF waveguide, which causes only slight attenuation. It doesn't get much more "breathable" than that, but it also doesn't get much less effective for absorbing midrange as you would...
  7. D

signal splitter

If you're not playing both guitars at the same time, then you just need an A/B box used backward, like this one: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-AB-box/
  8. D

signal splitter

The guitars are going to have higher output impedance than the input to the combiner network; I think you're going to have all sorts of weird effects doing this passively. Make an A/B switch box if you don't use both at once. If you do use both at once, buy or make a pedal-format 2in/1out...
  9. D

Acousta-Stuff - Stuffing - Question

Acoustic and electrical measurements? Otherwise, trial and error. Bass reflex designs should never be filled with anything, but you can add absorbers.
  10. D

Any solid state monoblock kits?

There's nothing especially special about this, but it meets your requirements: https://www.boxedkitamps.com/gobo-stereo-audio-amp-kit (oh wait, except the monoblock part... I guess you could buy two and only put one amp board in each one ;) Don't expect DIY amps to be any sort of bargain when...
  11. D

KLH 20 4ohm to KLH 17 8ohm...

Let's get more specific. What are you trying to do? Convert a 20 to a 17? For what reason? The amp you want to use doesn't like 4Ω, or do you have one of each? Kirk's response is 100% correct if the amp is the problem; just get another of the 8Ω woofer and put that in. Resistors will make a...
  12. D

JBL Studio Monitor 4365

It's 10dB down at 40Hz because that's anechoic. The low resolution red graph in the middle (approx. flat to 30Hz) is a treated listening room measurement. The HF attenuator range is shown as the cluster of HF lines at the top of the last graph above. On-axis is just a little on the bright...
  13. D

Passive Radiators

WinISD pro has one, but I've never used it to actually build something where I could measure and confirm the result.
  14. D

JBL Studio Monitor 4365

They don't sound a little hissy? Sure looks like they could do with a bit less 3-8kHz in these measurements:
  15. D

Gauntlet throwdown for a maligned speaker - The Challenge

Xover to tweeter is way too high for the dual mid arrangement, and probably a bit high for getting smooth horizontal polars too. Replacing the tweeter would be the most economical way to deal with that. If somebody wants to drop one at my house for a while, I'd be happy to do it, but not...
  16. D

IMO (and IME), in order of decreasing importance: 1. crossover/EQ filter design 2. driver combination, i.e. they make sense to use together 3. cabinet design (primarily driver layout, baffle shape, etc.) 4. driver quality 5. nothing else matters very much unless it's just totally botched or...
  17. D

Audio Note Kit speakers

I only said they look old-fashioned and compromised for the price. If you want something like the Snell E and that's your best option in that area and you are okay with the price, go for it. Reminds me of the $2500 Dynaco A25 remake a few years ago, although that was a significant performance...
  18. D

Audio Note Kit speakers

They all looked like the same concept to me, although maybe I did not look enough.
  19. D

Sure... if I had a pair. Seems hard to believe you couldn't get something decent out of them, but need lots of measurements. Time-aligning doesn't help anything when the crossover wasn't designed for it in the first place (and if it accidentally helps, well, just tilt the speaker back a bit...
  20. D

Audio Note Kit speakers

From what I can gather, they'll have all sorts of things considered problems by today's standards, eg. poor power/polar response, poor dynamic capability, high distortion, non-neutral response, audible resonances... If the other versions are done similarly to this one, the voicing has been done...
  21. D

Getting serious about entry-level IC's

I don't usually post in threads about wires, but... these are done right and priced to move: http://stores.ebay.com/Complete-Cable-Concepts
  22. D

Can't Get Handle On Sound Difference Between Amps

No, because highly reactive load plus high amp output impedance will change frequency response regardless of output. Neither of the OP's amps should really be having a lot of that issue, though.
  23. D

Can't Get Handle On Sound Difference Between Amps

It's most likely in your head, but who knows. IIRC, those speakers use an active EQ that is applying over 10dB gain in the bass range (among other things), which certainly could make a ~5dB difference in amp power significant, but that's probably nothing to do with it. Also, I don't know...
  24. D

Question about Tannoy HPD-315 treble issue

Almost broken lead would be my guess. Higher voltage from turning it up makes the connection, vibration or heat re-breaks the connection. Or, sort of similar problem, if the VC wires are starting to fall off and seizing up in the gap, or the former is losing shape. You'd expect audible...
  25. D

Question about nailed and glued butt joints

Well, I don't have any beliefs concerning the matter, but every ply butt joint I've seen fail, seriously every single one, whether by accident or under my stomping foot, has left the joint intact on the end grain (so to speak) side with a ragged layer of delaminated ply from the other panel's...
Back
Top Bottom