Search results

1. G

Sony ST J75 no stereo untill warmed up

Hello All: The Problem: The unit must warm up for 10-15 minutes to play correctly in stereo. There is no sound. The stereo light will begin to flicker at power on and the flickering coincides with noise (static, crackling). As time passes the flickering becomes less frequent and sound is...
  2. G

Kenwood KT 815 HD Radio Noise?

Hello all: Can anyone tell me if the Kenwood KT 815 is susceptible or immune from HD Radio Noise? There is a nice one here locally at a good price. Gene
  3. G

MCD 500 glass replacement

Hello all: I have to replace the broken glass on my MCD 500. I have replaced the glass on numerous vintage pieces such as the C-28, MR-78 etc. due to bubbling but I have yet to tackle a modern piece. While waiting on the glass to arrive, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in...
  4. G

Mcintosh DSD or PCM

This may have been covered before but I can't find anything. I recall reading a post here stating that the MVP 871 could decode DSD to analog and output the signal to the analog outputs without converting the signal to PCM. I wonder if my MCD 500 and current McIntosh players convert the DSD...
  5. G

C50 MM Phone Section

I recently purchased a leftover C50 (good price) and was a bit surprised at the MM phono section. Playing some of my best vinyl I found the upper range, primarily with strings, harsh and brittle. I switched back and forth to my old but trusty C30 and the glare was not there. Same amp, cables...
  6. G

McIntosh C712

Hello All: I am in need of a second preamp and a C712 is available locally. The reviews I have read are all over the map. Nothing neutral. Folks either love it or consider it harsh and bright. I would appreciate comments from those who have owned or listened to this pre. Thanks Gene
  7. G

Removing faceplate assembly MC 7200

I am having a tough time removing the faceplate assembly on my MC 7200. I need to clean the glass on the back side. I have removed the faceplate on many other Mac pieces with ease but this one has me stumped. The cover comes off easily but some of the screws that hold on the faceplate...
  8. G

Discriminator cover MR78

Hello All: I need to make a tweak to the tuning meter on my MR 78. I can remove the bottom cover and cage but darned if I can see how the cover over the meter adjustment comes off. Thanks in advance Gene
  9. G

McIntosh replacement glass problem

Hello All: I recently had a refurb done on my MR 78 tuner at an authorized McIntosh Service facility including new factory glass. I was disappointed to see that the new factory glass will not pass light and illuminate the lettering above the controls. None of the control titles (volume...
  10. G

MAC 4275 speaker relay??

Hello: I just purchased a MAC 4275. I would not have considered this model, but It is near mint cosmetically and I got it very cheap knowing that it has an intermittent problem which is crackling and channel dropout in the left channel. It does this on either speaker 1 or 2 taps. The...
  11. G

Panlocks for C 30

I have two McIntosh cabinets, one housed a C 28, the other a MR 78. Neither will hold a C 30 because the end of the left panlock (facing) is too high, bumping into the phono ground before snapping into place. The ground extends too far. Any idea which is the correct panlock? Thanks Gene
  12. G

Sonus Faber SonusFaber Cremona auditor

I need help identifying the difference between the Sonus Faber Cremona auditor and the M version if there is any. A Pair of Sonus fFaber Cremona auditor bookshelf speakers with stands has come up locally and the seller says his are the M version although it doesn't say so in the ad. Any...
  13. G

C 31V output voltage

Hello All: Unlike most McIntosh preamps, the C 31V output voltage is 1.5V, not 2.5V. Does the S/N ratio suffer much because of this? Also, when using it with a McIntosh Amp, does it matter if the input is set at 2.5V or .75V? Normally one would choose the closest match. Thanks Gene
  14. G

Sony 550es memory failure

Can anyone point me to the device storing memory or better yet what is supplying voltage to it when the unit is off. Mine loses memory if not turned on for a couple of days. I have looked and see none of the typical flat round capacitors used in other Sony's I own. Thanks Gene
  15. G

MC 2120 Lamp issues

Hello all: There have been several threads on the lamp issues for the 2120. I use one in my office hooked up directly to an MR 78 in variable output mode. The red lamps seem to flash differently when I turn it on just about every time. They do not usually flash simultaneously, although...
  16. G

Kenwood KD500, SME 3009III, Grace f9E

Hello All: A local is offering a Kenwood KD500, SME 3009III, Grace f9E in mint condition with original box for the turntable. $450--Is it worth it?? I am familiar with the arm only. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks Gene
  17. G

Help with dead MC 2002

Hello All: Last night I turned on my vintage McIntosh system and the MC 2002 came on (switched through preamp) and then immediately went off. Fuse is ok. I took off the top cover and cannot see anything burned or broken nor did I smell anything suspicious Power switch is suspect as there...
  18. G

Denon DVD 5910 Analog output

I could use some help with the 5910's ability to pass DSD to the analog outputs, both 2 and 5 channel without conversion to PCM. There is a lot of conflicting info around, and Denon's manual does not say clearly that it will or won't--at least I didn't find anything. I won't be using it for...
  19. G

SACD 3 channel help with MX...

I am looking at getting a system together for 3 channel and perhaps 5 channel SACD playback. Would the MX 118 or MX 130 accomodate my needs. They are very reasonable used -- I wouldn't be using them for video. How would I hook it up? The SACD player has five channel analogue out. Perhaps a...
  20. G

Denon DP51F/52F difference?

Hello All: Does anyone know what difference, if any, there is between the DP51F and DP52F Denon turntables. They have the same manual and specs and look identical. Thanks in advance Gene
  21. G

Sony STR GX10ES FM stuck in Japanese band

Hi All: I have a Sony STR GX10ES that has 'reverted' to the Japanese FM bandwidth of 76 to 90Mgz. AM bandwidth is American spec. I have found a few threads that say it is the memory capacitor but having no service manual I have no clue where it is located. Any help on this problem and the...
  22. G

C30 front panel lamps

Hello All: Does anyone know the specs, value, number of the C30 front panel lamps? I can't locate them in the parts list on the factory schematic, although they do list the led lights for the pushbuttons. Thanks Gene
  23. G

McIntosh glass foam tape

Hello all: Does anyone a source for the McIntosh foam tape used in many of their front glass panels? Also the original specs (thickness, width etc}? McIntosh must source it from somewhere. Thanks Gene
  24. G

L52A Cabinet??

Hello All: I recently purchased a vintage McIntosh system and thought the C-28 and MR 78 were housed in L51A cabinets. I tried to mount a C-30 preamp into one of them which should work and it would not fit because the grounding screw, which appears to be mounted lower and farther to the right...
  25. G

MC 2120 screws for feet

Hello All: I just purchased a complete vintage McIntosh system. Among the pieces was a MC 2120 with the wood cabinet. I would like to mount the rubber feet directly to the chassis but the screws for the feet into the wood cabinet are too big, although they fit ok in the shipping holes in the...
Back
Top Bottom