Search results

1. Greg86z28

My first piece of tube gear!

It's alive and working! I did retest all the voltages and still found some to be as high as before, some even went up. Is that something to worry about?
  2. Greg86z28

Just ordered one up last night. Will replace and report back. Thanks all!
  3. Greg86z28

I think the output transformer might be open. Not getting any continuity. I will disconnect it so I can do a better job check to see if it’s just a wires issue or not. Ok, it's the primary side (between the chassis and transformer). The secondary side (between the transformer and speaker) has...
  4. Greg86z28

Hi Big Harry - dumb question probably, but where exactly am I looking to check continuity on the output transformer? When I look at the schematic, it looks like the transformer would be located externally (off the chassis)? The schematic lists 4 transformers: T1 - 1st IF T2 - 2nd IF T3 - Power...
  5. Greg86z28

Hi Big Harry - Thanks for the reply. I have 289V on pin 4 of my 6V6. I have 300V on pin 8 of my 5Y3. Also, interestingly, my pin 3 of my 6V6 has a resistor (R14 on the schematic) connecting directly to pin 8 of my 6SJ7. If I measure the pin 8 of 6SJ7 I have 54V. So in other words, one side of...
  6. Greg86z28

Back at it - 2 years later. Recap of project: Received Admiral console from grandfather (was not working) Recaped Replaced tubes out of spec (6V6, 6SA7, 6SQ7) Still no sound (nothing - no crackling or anything, dead quiet). Tested the voltages per the manual today. Most things at least read...
  7. Greg86z28

Update: Replaced the 3 tubes that needed to be replaced. Still nothing (zero output, not even static). Going to probably check some of the voltages outlined in the service guide. Greg
  8. Greg86z28

Update on the slowest moving project ever. Had all my tubes tested. 2 were low, and 1 was right on the line. The two low ones were a 6V6 and a 6SA7. The 6SQ7 was right on the line. Quick question, are metal and glass tubes interchangeable? Right now the chassis has 6V6GTA, 6SA7GT, and 6SQ7...
  9. Greg86z28

Success! So I get the bright light for a brief second that dims to a low glow. I think my caps are all in order now that I reveresed the two that were in backwards. Should I now be looking to get my tubes tested? I don't know who in my area does this. Thanks all! Greg
  10. Greg86z28

Ok thanks John. I'll give that a whirl tonight and report back. Greg
  11. Greg86z28

Ok so more like this? I know the saying "black to brass to save your ass". :) I haven't tried hook my amp up to it yet. I was just using a small table lamp as the test subject. I also went ahead and rewired those backwards capacitors.
  12. Greg86z28

Do I have this correct? What happens is the bulb is always on (which makes sense based on the way I have it wired per my schematic below), regardless if I plug anything into the outlet or not. Is that the way it should be?
  13. Greg86z28

Ok thanks for the tips. What about my caps? Can I just wire them in correctly? There was no bangs or anything like that (but obviously damage could still have happened). Thanks Greg
  14. Greg86z28

2 of my 3 can caps are backwards. Ugh. I put black face end to ground (wrong). Didn't see the little ++ on that side. Should I be replacing those or just flipping around and they will likely be OK? Greg
  15. Greg86z28

Does this look right? Right when I turn the amp on this tube gets like a blue color and then the inside also starts to glow red hot. Doesn't seem to fall in line with that soft glow of the other tubes.
  16. Greg86z28

Hey Evan, Do you know who tests tubes around the Madison area? What's the typical fee for that...

Hey Evan, Do you know who tests tubes around the Madison area? What's the typical fee for that? Thanks, Greg
  17. Greg86z28

Well, I finished it up and tried to turn it on. Got nothing (not even crackling out of the speaker). I hear some crackling/popping coming from the amp itself, over by the power supply/2 tubes on that end of the amp. Cant tell exactly what component is making the noise. I haven't tested the...
  18. Greg86z28

That was one thing I did run in to. I noticed all of the old caps were directional so to speak (one end marked ground). The caps I bought had no indication of which end was which. Hopefully direction did not matter? I do need to get the tubes tested.
  19. Greg86z28

Finally getting around to this. I've got all the caps in except for the ones replacing the big can cap. Just to confirm, the can cap capacitors are grounded on one end correct? So I will essentially be removing the wires going into 1 of the can cap terminals, soldering them to the end of my...
  20. Greg86z28

"The Official 2017 Wisc./Northern IL AK-Meet-Gathering Thread" (Pictures Added!)

I can't make this, painting the house this weekend. Sorry.
  21. Greg86z28

2017 Wisconsin AK Meet/Gathering

Great. I can make that.
  22. Greg86z28

2017 Wisconsin AK Meet/Gathering

Hey all, Is there any interest in a 2017 Spring meet? The only hiccup is I probably wouldn't be able to host the spring (or fall) meets. Thanks, Greg
  23. Greg86z28

MC2105 Feet Screws

No worries. Thanks for the link, good information in there!
  24. Greg86z28

MC2105 Feet Screws

I kind of scanned through that and did not see anything either. I need to get some sort of assortment of screws for this purpose, where you can test to see what the hole size is.
  25. Greg86z28

MC2105 Feet Screws

Hi all, Can anyone help me figure out what machine screw (specs) is used to screw the feet to the underside of the MC2105? Thank you,
Back
Top Bottom