Search results

1. salred

How did humankind ever manage without these?

Bumper Dumper Mk II Shared the link with a friend and he suggested several improvements: * a seat belt; and * articulated mount so you can bank into curves. I think adding the element of dumping at speed is enough to warrant its own patent! "... Second gear - I lean right, Third...
  2. salred

Civilian Passenger Accidently Ejects

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1224494/Oops-Civilian-joyride-fighter-jet-pulls-ejection-switch-mistake-lands-scratch.html Oops! is right... -- Steve A.
  3. salred

Mixed my own B&W developer this weekend

I guess the AK DIY perspective has bled over into my photographic pursuits -- over the last month I bought a digital scale & some basic chemicals, and yesterday I made up a batch of developer. It's a two-bath developer that has the developing agents (metol & sodium sulfite) separate from the...
  4. salred

I need a new water softener and I'm totally lost...

We went with Culligan in 2003 when our previous softener was found to be a reman from the late 80's and no longer repairable. Dropped a little over $2K for a "silver" series installation + some filters. We're on well/septic and the water is hard as nails with a healthy (so to speak) dose of...
  5. salred

Utah raises speed limit to 80mph along stretches of I-15

http://www.nextautos.com/utah’s-experimental-speed-limit-increase-deemed-successful I'm sure that 80mph is a speed that many of us see regularly (eastern side of the Washington, DC, beltway at 5:45AM on workdays anyone?), but it's nice to see some common sense once and a while. That must...
  6. salred

New Job~

Congratulations! I made the move from the Federal Government just about 21 years ago this month. Absolutely no regrets - OK, 1 regret. Since I started with the Feds in 1974 I was under the old Civil Service Retirement System, and I could have retired by now, joined a private company, and be...
  7. salred

Old PC -- second life as a Linux file server?

Thanks for cluing me in to the outboard storage options. I'll be running Windows 7 eventually (got a good deal from HP for a PC shipping with Vista on 21 October), and I'll look into it. Of course, I think the Audio Karma way would be to jump into setting up a Linux file server while...
  8. salred

Old PC -- second life as a Linux file server?

I am not a hardware type techie... Just ordered an HP PC to replace my 8 year old Dell (it is very, very due for replacement). I'm curious about the feasibility of installing Linux and a couple of new disk drives (the current set up is a single 40GB disk) in the old beast, connecting it into...
  9. salred

Happy Birthday salred

Ah, gee, shucks, fellas! Thanks for all the good wishes. I've been wrapping up a project with the IRS and have been neglecting AK. (The project involved the corporate fraud detection systems. A word to all you corporate fraudsters -- from what I saw you can sleep soundly tonight...)...
  10. salred

My new 8x10

Beautiful camera -- well done for keeping the tradition alive. I'm guessing you make contact prints, and I'm also guessing they are gorgeous. The megapixel remark started me thinking: * Making the completely unsupported WAG assertion that a frame of fine-grained 35mm film is roughly...
  11. salred

Dylan Christmas Album...

I dunno. My initial reaction when hearing some excerpts this morning on NPR ( http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113781795) was not that positive. Well, William Shatner's recordings came to mind, actually. You be the judge... -- Steve A.
  12. salred

Post your favorite "store bought" BBQ sauce

"Sweet Baby Ray's" -- tried several varieties & found 'em all lip-smackin' good. -- Steve A.
  13. salred

Blows Against the Empire

Ah, yes, Blows Against the Empire... Michigan State University, winter of 1970/71. Friday nights the Planetarium featured an album played over their very nice sound system accompanied by a "light show." The latter wasn't really all that necessary, since we all brought our own, internal...
  14. salred

Female artist day.

Anne McCue Anne McCue's a fave of mine. She can really play slide guitar, and pulled off a great cover of "Machine Gun". I just got her most recent acoustic CD, "East of Electric" -- and it's good, too. Holy crap! Just checked out her current tour, and she's playing in deep Southern...
  15. salred

Perfect Album Sides

Keith Jarrett, Koln Concert Side 2, or " Köln, January 24, 1975, Part IIA" to be exact. The entire concert is a high point in improvised piano music, but for me Side 2 is a thing unto itself. Put it on, get comfy, and take a ride with Keith. -- Steve A.
  16. salred

Vintage Yamaha Reciever and TT

Go for it! My first stereo after college included a CR-600 and the YP-701 -- very nice setup. But, then again, I'm biased towards Yamaha gear... -- Steve A. PS: If I'm remembering correctly, the YP-701 actually muted the needle drop. Don't think I've seen that feature elsewhere. But...
  17. salred

14% Beer (i.e. 28 proof) now legal in Montana

http://www.kulr8.com/news/local/63209587.html Excerpt: From another story: So -- if the brew is twice the strength, does that mean the serving size will be cut in half??? Hmmm... not likely. I do like my microbrews, but this seems more like a quick trip to point-oh-eight and a...
  18. salred

"Scratch Fixer" - anyone use it?

Maybe I can use it after the wood glue... Poked around the site (link above) -- here's the online price: SCRATCH FIXER – For Phonograph Records 18ml TSF-585512 $ 15.33 Almost $1US / ml -- they must be getting their pricing strategy from inkjet ink manufacturers. A little must...
  19. salred

Woke up with a monster...

Was chasing one of those for a while... FYI there is a Yahoo group dedicated to the Concept line, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/conceptaudio/ -- It's pretty quiet these days but its a good source of specialized information. -- Steve A.
  20. salred

Homegrown Tomatoes

We're beginning to fall behind the production from our two plants -- had plenty o' BLT's the last 2 weeks. Now its time to make up a big batch of Gazpacho. That will thin the herd all right! -- Steve A
  21. salred

Blues Fans Around Annapolis: Tommy Castro & Coco Montoya Show @ the Ramshead 11/27

I'm only posting this because this is the first time I've found out about a decent show *before* all the good seats were sold. These guys will play 2 shows (6:30 and 9:30PM) on Friday, November 27th. Tickets are a reasonable (to me anyway since the Ramshead only seats a little over 200...
  22. salred

Do you like where you live?

Moved to a 5 acre horse farmette about 20 miles SE of Washington, DC, in 1993, and we'll never leave. Our property is gorgeous, and after committing to a major remodeling in 2007 (and with property values where they are) we'll be staying here until we can't ride no' mo'. Only place that's...
  23. salred

This is the Best Damn Purchase I've Made in the Last Year!!!

I bought a cheap-ass collapsible hand truck at Staples a few years back to help move boxes into temporary storage while we remodeled. It was a revelation -- I couldn't believe all the moves I'd been through where the only tools were friends, beer, and pizza. El-stoopido! Since then I have...
  24. salred

Heads up, Twangers!!!

Another review: this one's from the Washington, DC, City Paper: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=37670 Quote regarding the fact that Wainwright included some family members in the project: Sounds like quite a family. Amazon sez the CD ships in September - anyone got...
  25. salred

Hi from MD

Welcome from Upper Wheelbarrow! -- Steve A.
Back
Top Bottom