Search results

1. B

Infinity RS3B Crossover

Refreshing crossover is not cheap and probably should include better heavy duty inductor coil, also not cheap. I am toying with the idea of ditching internal crossover altogether and going with the active crossover for my 3B. What do you guys think about it? I guess that I can get 3...
  2. B

Amplifier advice for RS-IIIb sought

Here is the update. Got Aragon 8008ST and RSIIIB now finally sound as they should. The advice I got here was golden. It is not power but the current capability. Now I concentrate on listening and forget about the upgrades for a while. :music: Aragon's power cable is DIY (Chris Venhaus'...
  3. B

Amplification guidance for RS3b's please

Twestby, I recall listening to Aragon 4004 driving another power hog (BW 801) with excellent results, the duel was with Krell and 4004 came head to head at half the price back then. What is your experience of 4004 driving RSIIIB? TIA, Bob
  4. B

Amplification guidance for RS3b's please

AnthonyZ, Same problem here. For time being, I am running my RSIIIb with two Luxman M-02 power amps, each pumping approx. 150 per channel. After two weeks of listening, I feel the synergy is fine, but the power is simply not enough - bass extension is lean on complex material. If I...
  5. B

RS5s? Now what?

There is a vendor on ebay who offer his re-foaming services for Infinity woofers, top notch. IMHO it is well worth the money asked if you want to keep them. If you want to flip, sell them as they are.
  6. B

Sigh, it is 400 w in mono, but in BTL mode. And BTL mode is big no no when the load dips under 8 ohm. I am running two amps in stereo mode, however, using only left channel on first and right channel on second. I had M-02s from another setup where they were happily pumping 300W+ in BTL mode...
  7. B

OK, here is the story. I got RS-IIIb last week. For me it is like finally hooking up with a girl I lusted in college, only to find she is a drop dead gorgeous even after 30 years :-) In college I could afford only RS-7. Right now, I am powering RS-IIIb with two Luxman M-02 amps, each pumping...
  8. B

Dimensions of RS-IIIb base

Thanks everyone !!! that is exactly the info I was looking for :-) Next stop will be local Home Depot.
  9. B

Dimensions of RS-IIIb base

I scored RS-IIIb in perfect shape, but without the bases (pedestals). I want to make replacements and need your help with information. 1. What is dimension of the pedestal? From what I can see from the pictures, it seems to be narrower than the bottom of the speaker, approx. between the...
  10. B

Sony ES Series Wood Side Panels

My STR-GX10ES has side panels of simulated rosewood veneer. The closest match would be Cocobolo (Mexican rosewood). East Indian rosewood is of different texture and color and would not be a good visual match. I guess the best approach is to wait until ES collection is complete, then purchase...
  11. B

What would be a major upgrade from an SL-1200, yet still be a good value?

Absolutelly. On condition you can find one in perfect shape. Most are not. Majority are broadcast surplus run to the ground in the radio station. Or ruined in careless transport. As a result, market is littered with ruined ones looking for unsuspecting customers. Smart folks stocked up...
  12. B

Thanks, this clarifies the issue. However, I still can not figure out the difference between the pictured MK5G bearing and one from 1200MKII. Please could you take a look and comment on circled parts, ie. the part holding spindle to the body of the bearing. It seems they are different. How...
  13. B

Dual patch cable upgrade.

Cardas tonearm cable is reasonably priced. Run it from the tip of the tonearm to RCA connectors and you will experience huge improvement in sound quality. 4-5ft ishould be enough for most installations.
  14. B

Yes, but I am not at that level of electronics skills to implement on my own. I am more screwdriver and soldering gun type :-) What I learned so far is that regulators must be as close to the motor as possible, even if stock regulators are changed. When I find detailed description of parts and...
  15. B

There was a discussion on Vinylengine and member MK5G from Germany posted closeup pics of 1200MKII and MK5G bearings. It is evident there is a difference. MK5G is very similar to some aftermarket mods. Please see here: (pls. scroll mid page)...
  16. B

IMHO, it is wise to do reversible upgrades on 1200mkII and if you are satisfied, keep it, if not, bring back to standard issue and move on. I believe that 1200MKII is an excellent platform for modding, a Honda Civic of audio world. It can be tuned to do wonders, but it will never become a...
  17. B

2285b Flywheel rubber - where to find ?

Thanks, but vertical serrated is not what I am looking for. I am looking for one like this on the attached picture. Vertical ones are from 22xx I believe. I am looking for a checkerboard pattern.
  18. B

2285b Flywheel rubber - where to find ?

I am restoring technically perfect 2285b in poor cosmetic shape. One of the things it is missing is cross-patterned rubber on a flywheel. IMHO, flywheel with cross-patterned rubber is like a star on a Mercedes hood. If it is wrong or missing, it is an eyesore. Some earlier receivers actually...
  19. B

Kenwood 700T NEW IN BOX on ebay!!!

Whenever having a lifetime opportunity, it's prudent to think twice. Some once in a lifetime opportunities are better missed. I've had 700T, 700C and two 700M. Kept power amps, sold preamp and tuner. Buyer of the preamp, an AK member was thrilled with purchase. Buyer of 700T was not too...
  20. B

Advice sought - MC30 or MC275 ?

Dan, thank you for the quick response. I belive I will follow your advice, I was sort of inclined towards it myself, but afraid to sell something I might regret afterwards. Twodot, thanks for seconding Dan's advice. Right now, I have old Kef 103.2 in my B system so I can plan ahead speakers...
  21. B

Advice sought - MC30 or MC275 ?

I am an old AK member but new to the Mcintosh forum. I would be grateful for an informed opinion about the dilemma I am facing. I have one MC30 in good condition and need another channel. The problem is I do not know what is the best thing to do. The usual buy all, compare and sell the rest...
  22. B

What's the best cassette tape currently made?

TDK SM is the same tape as SA.
  23. B

Cassette deck- here's my needs....

I suggest that you find good sounding three head deck that is seriously undervalued. There are many of them around. Top 5 contenders for a budget purchase, rated soundwise 1. Nak BX300. Also known as ZX-5 in Japan. Awesome little Nak. It's not ZX-9 but neither is the price. 2...
  24. B

How much vinyl do you have? (take two)

http://rateyourmusic.com helps to visualize what you have already and what you want
  25. B

Cleaning Kenwood Amp Faceplate?

If faceplate is really dirty, with tobacco smoke residue, I soak it in Sunlight liquid dish detergent diluted with water to 1:1 for several hours. Use some shallow dish, e.g. top of Rubbermaid tote. I leave knobs soaked overnight. Rinse and clean, it shines like new.
Back
Top Bottom