Search results

1. amason3

MQ101 Hiss

If you use the mq-101 through the tape loop then the sensitivity switch should be set to -12db so the eq isn't over-driven. Per RR: http://www.roger-russell.com/ml1cpg.htm#themq101
  2. amason3

to wax or not to wax?

The finishes on the cabinets were a dull finish to begin with, at best they were a satin finish.
  3. amason3

Last question before I take the plunge

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, beautiful sound is in the ear of the beholder. Buy whatever, and if it sounds good to you, then enjoy it, if not then buy something else. By society's standards, there is always some female out there who is better looking than the woman on your arm...
  4. amason3

Today is a sad day for those who remember!

Personally, in this instance I feel it is only the fact that he, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper died that made them "immortals" in the music world. None of them had that great of a voice or musical ability, they just happened to be at the top of their game or they were on the popcharts at the...
  5. amason3

Advice on first Mcintosh ever!

You're probably going to have a little trouble running into a good deal on an amp and pre with just $1000, but, that will definitely cover the integrateds you're talking about and leave some money left over for getting the unit checked out and repaired if necessary. 6100 is a beautiful piece...
  6. amason3

Are you a Stereo Hermit?

Whereas music used to be something viewed as entertaining as a movie or a video game, it is nowadays just cover-up or something in the background, and secondary to whatever one is doing. So, most people could care less about the quality of what they are listening to and think it is boring to...
  7. amason3

Why Looney Tunes and similar cartoons were better than today's cartoons!

I was turned on to this by Tom and Jerry as a kid over 30 years ago and it stuck with me from that age as good music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yj04tc-e2Y No auto tune, didn't matter if the singers were knock outs, all that mattered was whether the artists could sing something that...
  8. amason3

Turntable Buzz Issue

Technics are known for their terrible rca's....change the rca jacks (especially since you can manipulate it till it cuts out) and your problem should be solved. But, as the other poster said, make sure the table is grounded with your amp. Also, depending on how old the table is, if it has the...
  9. amason3

I have a spool of 10 Guage Wire

It's overkill, but if it's free, go ahead and use it. And there is certainly no gain from bi-wiring if that is what you are actually doing, as stated previously.
  10. amason3

I Am 61 Years Old and I Still Need...

LOL, well that means he was a "dumb fu@ker" because he didn't know the "old fu@kers" have already been there and done that, to learn from.
  11. amason3

fu@ker was an endearing term....afterall, i'm 38 and was raised around older people who appreciated all types of music as well.
  12. amason3

Agreed. Jack White is one of those that i don't know why i like ( like Janis Joplin) but there is just something about the raw sound that draws you in and makes you enjoy it.
  13. amason3

Glad to hear that rock n roll is here to stay....I think one of you old fu@kers might like one or two of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQPNredrDO0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTtMbXC5jE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAgECFjKTbo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3-Wjmb9PBA
  14. amason3

What is the best rock and soul LP of all time and why?

Rock and Soul on the same album.....Edgar Winter's White Trash album, because it is raw and captures the energy of a live performance.
  15. amason3

McIntosh Switches

I don't know if there is a difference between the 2205 and 2200 switch, but for my 2200 I used the Lorlin RMS-1035 switch. The mounting hole on the chassis needs to be drilled out slightly bigger (25/64" instead of 3/8"), then you have to add the flat to the shaft yourself. The shaft is slightly...
  16. amason3

Things that make my head hurt #241 : polarity

I love it. :yippy::yippy:
  17. amason3

McIntosh Quality

Not really the exception anymore. I'm not saying you fit the norm nowadays, but i'm finding more and more with concerts in any genre, the previous comments hold true. The $hitty mixes put out nowadays by studio engineers carry over into the concerts and what people expect to hear. I know the...
  18. amason3

Why are the older speakers...

Keep listening, and that is just your opinion. Many people nowadays are used to overemphasized bass. If that's what you mean, then yes, vintage will "benefit from a subwoofer." However, if you're simply saying the vintage speakers won't produce accurate sound down to 20 hz, then you're wrong...
  19. amason3

Why are the older speakers...

Like she said...."size matters." And smaller is not better. Same goes for speakers.
  20. amason3

A good article about Analogue warmth

Scrape flutter may be valid, as I am one to always turn the midrange and treble down on modern car radios, while the younger generation seems to crank that up. I initially attributed this to the fact that they damaged their hearing by listening to earbuds at loud levels, which do a poor job of...
  21. amason3

Your thoughts on MA6100?

As a pre it is my understanding it is noisier than dedicated pre-amps. I'm using mine as a pre and integrated with a MC-2200. Above about 5/8 volume it gets noisy (steady audible hum or buzz through the speakers connected to the MC-2200, but quiet through the speakers powered by the MA-6100...
  22. amason3

Why the overheat??

yeah, something is either shorting out or the unit needs a rebuild. Mine has only ever overheated when pushing two sets of speakers past 3/4 volume. One set of 8 ohm speakers should be able to run all day at deafening volume without overheating. Also, what gauge wire are you running for the...
  23. amason3

Help! - Panalocs & the MA6100

sounds like it is probably not a McIntosh case then (if it is thinner). Can you post a pic of it? I've never seen any place selling the L-brackets, but I would think AC should have some. Somebody else will have to chime in on that.
  24. amason3

pic to help:
  25. amason3

If you're mounting them in a wooden case then there should be 2 holes in either side (on the inside near the front of the cabinet). A L-bracket almost the height of the case mounts with two metal screws (1/2" - #8 or #10) to these holes. The panlocs then mount to those two brackets with 2 or 3...
Back
Top Bottom