Search results

1. Ziradog

Doc Watson's Studio

So how much of this equipment in legendary guitarist's Doc Watson home studio can you identify? Pictures by guitar maker Wayne Henderson (from his Facebook page)?
  2. Ziradog

What type capacitors are these?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to find it despite searching. These came out of a Kenwood KW-44 receiver, but I have seen similar ones in other units. Thanks.
  3. Ziradog

Sansui 500 vs. 500A dimensions?

I posted this question on the Tube forum but got no response, so I thought I would try here. Weird question I know, does anyone know if these are the same size? Specifically, if the top cover of a 500a will fit a 500? Thanks,
  4. Ziradog

Sansui 500 vs. 500A?

Weird question I know, does anyone know if these are the same size? Specifically, if the top cover of a 500a will fit a 500?
  5. Ziradog

Kenwood KW-44 caps question

So this is a Japanese Trio-built unit, and it has the usual plethora of grey Elna and JCP(?) caps. It also has 2 100 mfd Nichicon cans that I think might be replacements. The multipart can cap (40 mfd X4) also looks like a replacement, with a clamp mounting. Obviously the Elna's & JCP's need...
  6. Ziradog

Kenwood KW-44 questons

Going to look at one of these available locally. My searches for a schematics, etc. have not been successful. A previous thread here mentioned that it was the same/similar to the Trio W-38, but the layouts look different & the Trio has more tubes (19 vs. 16 for the Kenwood). Does anyone have...
  7. Ziradog

Grommes 502/502M/5002/5002M, etc.

Can anyone point me toward some info that shows the differences between these somewhat-similarly numbered receivers? Google just takes me to ebay where these (and others) are for sale, and searching here doesn't get me much farther. Thanks.
  8. Ziradog

Which to use with a turntable?

In "stock" recapped & such form,which of these is likely to sound best through the phono section. Disclaimer: I am just getting back into using a turntable so none of these were selected because of their phono section, I know there are better choices out there. Pilot 240 "Curtain of Sound"...
  9. Ziradog

Polarity of can capacitors?

Is there anyway to verify that a can capacitor (single section or multisection) is installed negative ground, without a schematic? This is a Pilot 380 tuners, a 3 section filter cap and a second single section cap that am not sure. The single can has a "-" after the "VDC-" on the labeling...
  10. Ziradog

Pilot 380 tuner

Have a chance to pick one of these up at a decent price. This would be to pair with a Pilot 240 integrated amp.Not a lot of info on the web about it, appears to be the "better" of the 2 tuners Pilot offered at the time. Thoughts? Anyone have a service manual, SAMS or schematic for these? Thanks.
  11. Ziradog

Pilot Receivers, Tuners, and Hybrids

Just wondering if there is a good source (catalog?) or site that talks about the different Pilot brand tube equipment. The amps seem pretty well documented, the other gear less so. I have a lower end SA-240 integrated amp that I like, thinking of trying to find a matching FM tuner or a...
  12. Ziradog

Differences in Allison Acoustics' 8" Woofers?

I picked up a pair of Allison 4's a while back, and as usual the surrounds on the woofers were shot. A friend offered to refoam them, and they have been sitting several months since waiting for attention. When I went to install the woofers I discovered that one had an open voice coil (it had...
  13. Ziradog

Sherwood Tuners question

I have a Sherwood S2100 that is missing both the bottom and top covers. Does anyone know if any of the other Sherwood tuners of this vintage are the same size (my S3000III is not the same size). As best I can measure, the covers should be 14-1/4" wide by 11-9/16" deep. Thanks.
  14. Ziradog

What system used KLH 32 speakers?

The 32 was certainly not the best speaker KLH made, but it didn't suck & apparently they were pretty popular as I keep running across them. I have been told on several occasions that these were part of a system (like the KLH 20), but I have not been able to confirm this. Does anyone know what...
  15. Ziradog

Large speakers from Boston area south?

Looking at a pair of fairly large speakers (Allison 1's) north of Boston. I'm near Raleigh, North Carolina. If I could get them close to hear or at least to the Washington, D.C. area or similar, it would make 2 Audiokarma folks very happy
  16. Ziradog

OLD iPod, new formats?

I was cleaning out my daughter's room & found the old iPod Mini that she had as a kid. Just for kicks, I tried putting some music on it and found that it did not like the formats I had available. I was not surprised that it did not like FLAC, but Apple Lossless, m4a, and others will not play...
  17. Ziradog

Differences in Sherwood S-5500 & S-5000 (& S-8000 receiver)?

I have an S-5500 with 7591 outputs that I really like. I know the S-5000 is supposed to be better. Is it simply a matter of bigger transformers, or is there a significant circuit difference? And where does the amplifier section of the S-8000 receiver fit in - is it similar to one or the...
  18. Ziradog

Grommes 40pg - easy way to bypass controls?

In my continuing effort to clean up the piles of crap in my workspace, I am going back to the Grommes 40PG integrated amp from this thread (schematic posted at the start of the thread): https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/grommes-40pg-wonky-voltages.831370/page-3 There are still...
  19. Ziradog

Heathkit SA-2 Power Supply FIlter Modification Question

I had a catastrophic failure of an output tube and probably a rectifier tube on this amp, so I am switching it to a solid state rectifier with a dropping resistor. While working on it, I noticed that the extra filter stage that I had put in originally did not look right. Below are the posts I...
  20. Ziradog

How do I work on catastrophically failing amp?

Heathkit SA-2 EL84 P-P integrated amp. Recapped (power supply, all electrolytics, all coupling caps) and some resistors replaced ~4 years ago. It has been in extended intermittent use since then. I put this into my family room system to do some work on my Sherwood S-5500, ran fine (as usual)...
  21. Ziradog

Modest DAC for Raspberry Pi - HAT card or USB?

I have several Raspberry Pi' 3s that I am using as music streamers. Two have Hifiberry Dac+ HAT card DACs, one had a first-generation Dragonfly USB DAC. The Dragonfly is getting re-purposed, so I need to get some sort of replacement. I was using Volumio on some, Rune Audio on others, but am...
  22. Ziradog

Pi software options for streaming and playing

I currently have a Pi 3 with attached HDD running as an NAS music server Using a prepackaged image. I also have three Pi 3's as players, 2 with Rune and one with Volumeo. Plus a PC with ~1 TB of music in Apple Lossless (AAC) format. Due to changes in the family members and their listening...
  23. Ziradog

Troubleshooting advice needed on Pilot SA-240 amp

I need a little troubleshooting help with this Pilot 240 integrated amp that I have been working on. When I got it, one output transformer had been replaced with a “universal” OPT. When I brought it up on variac & DPT, it did play, but one channel was louder than the other and there was...
  24. Ziradog

Pilot 240 Integrated Amp questions

I finally procured, tested, painted, and installed the replacement output transformer for this unit, and I am starting to re-cap it. First oddball thing that came up was in the power supply, specifically C1A & C1B (2 halves of a can capacitor). On the attached schematic (from a SAMS I bought)...
  25. Ziradog

Testing output transformer

I'm sure there is a decent thread on how to test an output transformer that is loose (not in an amp), but I have tried several searches without success. Can someone point me in the right direction? Preferably one that does not require specialized equipment. Thanks.
Back
Top Bottom