Search results

1. A

What is this?? Old heavy duty speaker with velvet surrounds

It may be a velour surround, I have a pair of 1950s English RCA Photophone 15" drivers with velour surrounds. They look like velvet but I guess velour was the new 'wonder material' until foam surrounds came along.
  2. A

Brociner back loaded corner horn info

I don't know if I'm breaking any rules here but below is a link to a thread Zilch was involved in about the Jensen Compact back-loaded corner horn (the same cabinet as the Brociner). It's an interesting read and includes more precise plans for the cabinet than is in the period Jensen literature...
  3. A

1945 Goodmans Alnico 12"

"I love Tannoy dual concentrics, are these anything like them?" Well there has been a wide variety of sound signatures in Tannoy Dual Concentrics over the years so any answer would be a guess. My guess though would be a no. The Tannoys have a curved cone that follows a horn flare path. The...
  4. A

1945 Goodmans Alnico 12"

I'll post a couple of pics of mine, you'll see how similar they are. It has no dust cap as it was in a black linen bag and I've bought similar fabric to make a new one. I had to have the paper corrugated surround replaced on mine by a particularly skilled speaker rebuilder as silverfish had...
  5. A

Vintage wood 2 way speaker identification please

Don't worry about the rippled surrounds, they didn't look much better when new. Don't worry about the cut-outs not matching either, I've seen that on other Goodmans speakers (and on other British speakers of the period) but the bass drivers certainly don't look like Goodmans. That doesn't mean...
  6. A

1945 Goodmans Alnico 12"

Not a full range but able to happily go up to a couple of thousand Hz or more. I'm guessing the bass driver just gently rolls off and a cap brings the old-fashioned large tweeter in around 2,000Hz. I have a very similar Goodmans 12" driver, the magnet sticker is identical but there is some...
  7. A

1974 Goodman Mezzo speakers

The Mezzo SLs are 2 way and different to other Mezzo models. They originally used a Seas H-087 tweeter and later used what seems to be a Goodmans' manufactured copy of the Seas tweeter. The 36 watt rms power rating cannot be exceeded if you don't want to fry the tweeters. If you do happen to...
  8. A

The Perfect Hf Tweeter for Itt Lorenz 312-2 Full Range

Do you know if the original Lorenz tweeters are working? They are only a 4 watt tweeter pair (a pair of 2 watt tweeters in series) so could be blown, which would explain why the Philips tweeter has been added. The Lorenz tweeters do come up occasionally on the you-know-where site. I have a...
  9. A

Good Quality L-Pads?

I found some 15 Ohm on you-know-where that are from Eastern Europe. They took less than two weeks to arrive in New Zealand and communication by email was professional and friendly. Inexpensive and built like tanks. I needed 15 Ohm for some old Goodmans speakers I have. For any practical purpose...
  10. A

Goodmans Speakers

Yes, those Triaxioms are very interesting looking and I can only imagine how good they sound. I discovered Goodmans speakers around 15 years ago when I found a pair of first series Magnum K in a charity store. They were followed by 201s and triaxioms which are unfortunately long gone. The one...
  11. A

Mystery 8" fullrange speaker

The manufacturers name is Reproducers and Amplifiers from England. Richard Allan is a completely different brand of speaker, also from England and manufacturing speakers through the same time period, although they lasted longer than R&A. This is an old thread but it still comes up so the...
  12. A

Speakerlab Model 7's?

13. A

Pioneer PAX-30C full range driver

I don't think there is much chance of finding a re-cone kit for those drivers but that doesn't mean that they can't be rescued. I recently saved an early Goodmans wide-range driver that had the pleated cardboard surrounds completely eaten away by moths or silverfish. I took it too an older...
  14. A

A Jensen speaker that no-one knows about

Thanks for posting that link but I'm sure the drivers are later than the mid 50s. The best clue I have for dating them is that the remnants of the old foam surrounds were an aqua green colour. I did once see some ads for 3-way Jensen speakers from the mid 60s and that made me think that these...
  15. A

A Jensen speaker that no-one knows about

I've had a pair of coaxial Jensen speakers for a couple of years that I've been unable to get any information on. I think I even asked on this site before and had no responses. I was cleaning the rather battered cabinets today and took some pics so thought I'd ask again. You don't see many...
  16. A

Speakerlab 7 Restoration

It's a couple of years since I owned my 7's but I remember that most of them came with the T-35 tweeter but later ones had the superior 3500 tweeter. If your tweeters have HT3500 on them then the Crites tweeters will not be an upgrade. In the past there were a few different makes of speaker...
  17. A

Help with grace tonearm?

Your tonearm is a Grace G-727, which is the detachable headshell version of the G-707. You will need to find a genuine G-727 headshell, a normal SME type headshell will not fit. You will probably be able to find one on a certain auction site. It is a fine arm. The other thing to consider is...
  18. A

Resurrection of the Luxman L550

Well I'll be no help to you as I'm technically challenged but I am watching because I have a Luxman L-410 that needs upgrading and cleaning (a previous owner has obviously spilled a cup of instant coffee into it at some time in the past) and I'm encouraged by seeing someone working on a similar...
  19. A

Anybody have experience with Goodmans Axiom 450's?

They are a higher powered version of the Axiom 350 (which I think is a later version of the Axiom 300). It is a very nice, and quite rare, wide-range driver that these days is often enhanced with a super-tweeter crossing over between 5,000Hz to 10,000Hz. Search through this site for the above...
  20. A

PACO SA-40 Rebuild

I meant to say "nice amp', I really enjoy mine. I'm surprised that your treble and bass were rolled off, even if yours needs some work. Thanks Richard for posting the information from JB. I've filed it away for future use. I run the Russian 6P14P-EV tubes in mine and they sound very nice...
  21. A

PACO SA-40 Rebuild

The schematic posted in the link has some of the voltage test measurements missing so I've scanned the incomplete part from the build book and attached it here (bits missing from scans of schematics is a pet hate).
  22. A

Coral 12" Monitor Drivers

I've never liked the 4 way version but the three way is a very good sounding speaker to my ears. I'm thinking of these bass drivers for possible Econowave use.
  23. A

I've just googled 12L-31 and come up with some images of the same drivers for sale and described as Zachry drivers made by Coral. I'm guessing Zachry was an American speaker manufacturer using the Coral drivers about the same time AWA made mine.
  24. A

I'll have a good look through that Coral site, thanks. The speakers came as 3 ways and 4 ways with coral mids and a Philips tweeter. The bass driver was in a sealed 60 litre box. The reason I'm interested in this driver is that it's very 'fast'. It's not a lazy bass driver - I hope that makes...
  25. A

I've added some jpgs which hopefully will show up in the thread instead of having to download them.
Back
Top Bottom