Search results

1. Scott594

what the dac?

Me too. Turkey, I'm just barely ahead of where you are. I put together a chinese DAC kit (Based on a Cirrus Logic chipset) a while back, but then got sick for almost 2 years, and now am finally getting back to my audio. I came back here looking for info on software etc. for my laptop so I...
  2. Scott594

New here - Hello, all!

Dry Clean as required. Many times after a units been setting like that, you can clean up the controls and switches by operating them back and forth 100 or more times (unit off, unplugged). This burnishes the carbon elements in the pots, and wears back through the thin layer of corrision that...
  3. Scott594

PA speaker repair advice please

I'll check back later to see if you picture is up. If it's up during the day today, I'll try to sketch out the schematic and send it so you'll have it for your friend this evening. Please make sure to indicate the orientation, and make sure the foil is clearly visible. If you can identify the...
  4. Scott594

Toasted Almond, Vinyl King

George is a good guy, professional, sells his wares at very reasonable prices, and will do whatever he has to to sort out those little awsheets that occasionally happen when you are dealing with a lot of people buying a lot of small stuff. He's a pleasure to deal with and I've waited too long...
  5. Scott594

Wally Swift is OK!

Bought some MTV DVDs from him, fair priced, exactly as hea said, and fast, fast shipping. Allen AKA Wally Swift is OK in my book! Thanks, Scott :thmbsp:
  6. Scott594

Which is better? Bose 601 or Klipsch Forte

I'm not a hater, but try to be honest with myself (and others that REALLY want an honest opinion). In MY opinion you nailed the listening characteristics of both models in your original post. The one thing I would have to add, and it's not intended to offend or start anything, is that the...
  7. Scott594

Under the radar Amps

JVC Super-A JVC Super-A series. A-X7 and A-X9 especially. Class A (yeah, I doubted the "Super" moniker too. They really sound VERY much like "real Class A" in a A-B test. They have moving coil inputs which is nice, but I have mine running through a McIntosh pre-pre which does beat the built...
  8. Scott594

In circuit is fine. The readings may be a bit off, but you're mainly looking for a very high (>30 ohms - or greater than marked value by more than 10% or so.) reading. You can check the caps too on the ohms X 1 range, but there WILL be odd readings (ideally all should read infinity, but good...
  9. Scott594

Glass Passivated Junction Diodes

Just making sure it can turn on real FAST
  10. Scott594

And check the backside for bad/cracked solder joints. Common around resistors because of thermal cycling and solder stinginess by manufacturers. It is possible the pole piece broke free on the new driver because of poor glueing at the factory and "pinned" the voice coil in place as suggested...
  11. Scott594

Coils look OK, check resistors. The values should be clearly marked. PS - Sorry, They are the ceramic cubish devices labeled R1, R2 etc. They should be maked with values from .1 to 30 ohms and probably 5W or 10W - They look like 5 watt ones to me. (That's the amount of energy they can...
  12. Scott594

Keep your clothes on while taking pics of reflective stuff

Could have been a lot worse, and it sure looks like she's unaware of it. Not my style or price range anyway. (the B&Ws that is) Watch them polished dust caps!
  13. Scott594

Glass Passivated Junction Diodes

Low noise. Reasonable cost and good availability. Most manufacturers won't "cheap out" or over-spend. They need cheap, but a device run on the edge can cause a serious problem if they have even 0.01% of a 10 million piece production run fail of them fail or cause interference problems...
  14. Scott594

It most certainly could also be the crossover, give it a good look and smell to see if it's got too hot when the original driver was blown. With 90%+ crossovers, there is a coil directly from the "+" input terminal and the "+" woofer terminal. That's your main suspect. It should read less than...
  15. Scott594

Why don't all cartridges sound the same?

+1 Bob. Denon D103r. Not that I wouldn't try something in it's class if it crossed my door. Been thinking of a 2nd frontend, but am quite happy with what I have for now. For the record, it performs equally regardless of program material, as has every cart I have ever owned. I believe...
  16. Scott594

Somebody help this guy, please!

Maybe even 2.
  17. Scott594

Why are there so few major advances in audio playback technology?

After reading each post in this thread, nobody has even come close to explaining why my old Rotel turntable with a very moderately priced Cartridge (Denon D103R) consistantly produces more enjoyable and (assumably) "real" sound from a spinning chunk of pvc (either old or new production) vs my...
  18. Scott594

New Toy before and after

You'll never regret buying the quick change toolpost. I bought a chinese version about 15 years ago, and the lathe cost ends up being almost inconsequential compared to the tooling. The upside is if you use it much at all, it's products will quickly overshadow it's upkeep. Mine has paid for...
  19. Scott594

New here - Hello, all!

Didn't notice that. Maybe the record changer that belongs to it is yet to be unearthed? The adapter to fit yours will look like a disk, plastic or aluminum usually, the same diameter as the width of the "square" one, and appropiate hole in the center to fit your spindle. Manual for your TT...
  20. Scott594

Help me diagnose the problem....

You have pretty much textbook broken tinsel wire. It could be one of the other causes already mentioned, but this is more common. I was an authorized Waldom re-coner back in the '80s and saw a lot of this sort of problem. 8 of 10 with these symptoms were tinsel wire breaks. It's the flexible...
  21. Scott594

JBL L100 Tweet Fix

There's a couple of sets of oem takeouts on the bay right now, but it'll take a c-note to get in on either set. Might be worth it to you? I just happened to be looking for another part, ran onto those, then your post here. I have no afiliation to any of them.
  22. Scott594

New here - Hello, all!

Yep, many manufacturers did them that way. Never really thought about it that way, but sure is square peg in a round hole. The spring loaded peg transfers the "drop lever" motion to you can "stack and rack" 45s too.
  23. Scott594

5,000th post giveaway!

Geez, I'm kind og disappointed, it's the thrill of the hunt I guess. For what it's worth, the sucessful search was{"first speakers" gogofast} - the answer was returned as the 2nd line item. I'll send my mailing address, but will promise to add to the prize and continue the contest with a...
  24. Scott594

5,000th post giveaway!

Open to 2nd tries yet?? :lurk: PM sent just to see if my suspicions are correct.....
  25. Scott594

Speaker Stands

++ :thmbsp: Very nice, but don't buy steel or alum from home centers. Worth finding your local metal wholesaler. or check online. Even most welding shops will beat HD. You'll use them agiain once you see what is available, and that you could have purchased 20' for what you paid for 4'...
Back
Top Bottom