Search results

1. Joel Cairo

The MacKit-30 (MK-30) Registry Thread

I think you're right about the provenance of your second unit... I had heard they were trying to use up as many old parts as possible in the last year of MC-30 production, which included factory assembly of the numerous MK-30 kits that were leftover, so I wouldn't be surprised that an odd...
  2. Joel Cairo

Well, based on our running list, somewhere between 414 and 528... my money is on approximately 500. - Kevin
  3. Joel Cairo

"Loose" McIntosh black rocker switches: can these be tightened or retensioned?

and the reason this is a popular question right now, is this: I'm sure this is probably a pricing error at the vendor that @monkboughtlunch used, but you **can** buy the product elsewhere, for about $28.00 per roll... - Kevin
  4. Joel Cairo

"Loose" McIntosh black rocker switches: can these be tightened or retensioned?

Just an additional idea-- for the ends of the replacement 2mm metal tubing, instead of a somewhat unsightly crimp, you might want to consider the use of rubberized end caps, which can be trimmed in length to help snug them up tight to both sides of the switch bracket... and which would be easily...
  5. Joel Cairo

Questions for any JBL Bel Aire owner...

Correct on the tweeter-- it's an Audiotek car stereo tweeter. As for electronics, I just essentially re-created the JBL crossover circuit. I had intended to just use actual JBL crossover boxes, but I needed a little more space/flexibility due to size constraints (reduced scale of the speaker...
  6. Joel Cairo

Definitely a scale version-- they're each about the size of a 60s clock radio. They're for use in tandem with a subwoofer... a setup I'm pleased to say works surprisingly well! - Kevin
  7. Joel Cairo

Duesy: Thanks-- I think I figured everything out... The Bel Petites are up and running...! Just gotta build the front screens... - Kevin
  8. Joel Cairo

Post Your Marantz Gear Here!!!

I'll have to get by with just one, I'm afraid... - Kevin
  9. Joel Cairo

Is anyone still making reproduction MC-30 circuit boards...?

The original was cracked (though it's been repaired). And in any event, in this specific case, I'll need to sub it out with a new board that's populated with new components. - Kevin
  10. Joel Cairo

Is anyone still making reproduction MC-30 circuit boards...?

I have a MacKit MC-30 which needs a new circuit board-- preferably a reproduction of the original board (which had numbered turrets/holes), but I'm not choosy. IIRC, there used to be a company that manufactured these, at least as of a few years ago... is that no longer the case? Thanks for...
  11. Joel Cairo

Thanks-- added to the list! - Kevin
  12. Joel Cairo

Looking for a replacement source... (Dark brown 80C lever knobs)

Thanks for the measurements, Dobieguy-- that's a help...! Let's see what I can come up with... - Kevin
  13. Joel Cairo

Looking for a replacement source... (Dark brown 80C lever knobs)

Anyone have a source for replacements for these little guys (either modern-day, or NOS), as pictured on the right side of the example below...? Mine are both missing... I can't even do a search for the proper name of the part ("selector knobs"... "lever knobs"...?) They seem like a pretty...
  14. Joel Cairo

Question about an SME 3012 S2 (non-improved) balance weight...

...actually, the main counterweight portion of the two-piece split version, to be specific. What are the specs for the standard-issue version of that weight? The arm I just got came with what I'm guessing is a somewhat larger brass counterweight (though it actually resembles one that I saw on...
  15. Joel Cairo

Quick question about Moldovan plinths...

Hmmm... as far as I can tell, with the one that I purchased, the 401 plops onto the top of the plinth, and looks as though he's just drilled through each layer of birch plywood until it gets to the bottom. Since the plinth is 90mm thick, I'm gonna need some fairly long mounting bolts. Since...
  16. Joel Cairo

Introducing... the Bel Petite!

And here's a couple of the back plate, which holds the crossover components, etc... I know it would have been much neater to have just used a small box, like the old JBL crossover, but I liked having a little more flexibility in where to put things, especially because space is at a premium in a...
  17. Joel Cairo

A few... here are the boxes: Tweeter installed - from the inside: Tweeter installed, from the front: Inside of the woofer space, marked for screw placement - the small hole to the right is where the front screen peg will insert through the face of the speaker, once I fabricate it: -...
  18. Joel Cairo

Quick question about Moldovan plinths...

I purchased a plinth for a Garrard 401 from the Moldovan gentleman that advertises on the well-known auction site, and I'm sure that 1 or 2 other people here may have done the same... So my question is, how long should the mounting installation bolts be? I see them offered from other sellers...
  19. Joel Cairo

So how does a Bel Petite come into the world...? Well, I promised pics, so here we go: One of the cabinets in the early stages of construction... as I said, I owe an enormous debt to the local woodworker who took my plans, made some important suggestions/improvements, and hand-crafted them...
  20. Joel Cairo

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

March 5, 2003.
  21. Joel Cairo

Thanks very much for the comments & suggestions, guys-- looks like a sub is in my future. Since it'll be largely hidden it doesn't necessarily have to match the Bel Petite design... any recommendations for a particular sub? And I appreciate the compliments, but I have to give an immense...
  22. Joel Cairo

Since we all have so much time on our hands these days, I decided that I'd love to have a miniaturized version of the classic 1950s JBL Bel Aire speakers. Of course, the problem is that such a thing doesn't exist.... or at least it didn't-- until now. Pardon the remaining signs of...
  23. Joel Cairo

Question about old Marantz knobs...

Like those on the 10b, 7c, 7t, etc... Is there a Marantz model that utilizes the wonderful, heavy, knobs... **without** a marker line cut into them? A blank (infinite) knob, I guess. The only one I can think of is the center tuning knob on the 10b... and I don't suspect that's a very likely...
  24. Joel Cairo

Lost... and (quite unexpectedly) found: "The Sound of Young America"

ACME did that for you...: https://acmeaudio.net/ Let's hope it works better than the stuff that they sold to Wile E. Coyote...! :biggrin: - Kevin
  25. Joel Cairo

Lost... and (quite unexpectedly) found: "The Sound of Young America"

Just to be Paul Harvey for a moment, and provide "The Rest of The Story"-- At one point in time, the top (electronics) portion of blue interface box in the Hitsville studio was temporarily taken out of the studio and overhauled by its designer, Mike McLean (late '90s, I was told)... and...
Back
Top Bottom