Search results

1. Joel Cairo

Is anyone still making reproduction MC-30 circuit boards...?

I have a MacKit MC-30 which needs a new circuit board-- preferably a reproduction of the original board (which had numbered turrets/holes), but I'm not choosy. IIRC, there used to be a company that manufactured these, at least as of a few years ago... is that no longer the case? Thanks for...
  2. Joel Cairo

Looking for a replacement source... (Dark brown 80C lever knobs)

Anyone have a source for replacements for these little guys (either modern-day, or NOS), as pictured on the right side of the example below...? Mine are both missing... I can't even do a search for the proper name of the part ("selector knobs"... "lever knobs"...?) They seem like a pretty...
  3. Joel Cairo

Question about an SME 3012 S2 (non-improved) balance weight...

...actually, the main counterweight portion of the two-piece split version, to be specific. What are the specs for the standard-issue version of that weight? The arm I just got came with what I'm guessing is a somewhat larger brass counterweight (though it actually resembles one that I saw on...
  4. Joel Cairo

Quick question about Moldovan plinths...

I purchased a plinth for a Garrard 401 from the Moldovan gentleman that advertises on the well-known auction site, and I'm sure that 1 or 2 other people here may have done the same... So my question is, how long should the mounting installation bolts be? I see them offered from other sellers...
  5. Joel Cairo

Introducing... the Bel Petite!

Since we all have so much time on our hands these days, I decided that I'd love to have a miniaturized version of the classic 1950s JBL Bel Aire speakers. Of course, the problem is that such a thing doesn't exist.... or at least it didn't-- until now. Pardon the remaining signs of...
  6. Joel Cairo

Question about old Marantz knobs...

Like those on the 10b, 7c, 7t, etc... Is there a Marantz model that utilizes the wonderful, heavy, knobs... **without** a marker line cut into them? A blank (infinite) knob, I guess. The only one I can think of is the center tuning knob on the 10b... and I don't suspect that's a very likely...
  7. Joel Cairo

Questions for any JBL Bel Aire owner...

...who has access to a ruler. :D Just looking for a couple of measurements: How deep is the bottom lip of the speaker box (the little shelf area in front of the face of the speaker)? How deep is the upper overhang of the speaker box (it's probably slightly shorter than the bottom lip...
  8. Joel Cairo

Terry DeWick has retired...

This may have been posted elsewhere on AK, so apologies if I"m telling everyone something they already know... http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm It's a sad day for those of us who have been fortunate enough to have had him work on our vintage equipment... Thanks so much, Terry...
  9. Joel Cairo

What is this aluminum faceplate "rash"...?

I have a piece of late-50s vintage equipment that I'm cleaning up, and had hoped that this "rash" on the brushed aluminum faceplate would scrub off after the usual hot water/Dawn dish soap soaking. However, as you can see, it hasn't, so I'm left with the following questions: 1. What is...
  10. Joel Cairo

Newbie question, about inductors...

Sorry to need a little guidance here, but here goes... I recently was fortunate enough to run across a pair of 1974-vintage AR3a speakers that I'm in the midst of restoring and an interesting problem has arisen: I'm going to be replacing the original mid & high frequency potentiometers with...
  11. Joel Cairo

Marantz & Karg-- you don't see that combo everyday...

Here's why I love shopping at Echo Audio in Portland... you can always be assured that Kurt is going to turn up something wild. Here's the latest: From the same person, he got three (!) Marantz Model 2 amps (one of which is an amazingly early example): And this trio-- A Model 7 preamp, with a...
  12. Joel Cairo

Does the Fisher 90-C preamp use the same cabinet as the 80-C...?

..and is there a model number for it? Just curious... - Kevin
  13. Joel Cairo

Lost... and (quite unexpectedly) found: "The Sound of Young America"

Or at least, an important part of "The Sound of Young America"... It's one of those things that if you were purposefully searching for it, you wouldn't find it in a million years. At least I wouldn't have. Though I have to add, what makes it even more serendipitous is that I (and probably most...
  14. Joel Cairo

The MacKit-30 (MK-30) Registry Thread

Hey, all-- I thought it might be instructional for us to pool some information together regarding these little rarities... as some folks may or may not know from mid-1960 to mid-1961, during the waning days of production of the venerable MC-30, the folks in Binghamton got an interesting...
  15. Joel Cairo

A philosophical question about repair/restoration of an MacKit MC-30...

I recently was fortunate enough to acquire a fairly historic piece of equipment, which is in need of some TLC. My question is, it's a MacKit MC-30, and has what appears to be at least a crack, if not a full-on break in the component turret board. Since there's no actual circuit tracing on the...
  16. Joel Cairo

Undoing the **WORST** DIY "mod" ever...! UPDATE: Audio Classics to the rescue!!

I generally don't shout like that , but I think the piece I just found has to rate as the champion of poor "upgrade" decisions... WARNING - The pics you are about to see are not for the faint of heart! After you get over the raw shock of seeing them (and it may take it a bit), please give me...
  17. Joel Cairo

Question about replacing grilles on an original KLH Model 6

I just lucked into a pair of original Model 6s (probably from about 1960, given the serial numbers), which likely have the metal mil-spec caps in them, because everything still works. But, after 50+ years, I have no doubt that the cloth surrounds probably need some re-sealing. I've ordered the...
  18. Joel Cairo

Question about cap can replacement - Heathkit SA-2

I'm about to replace the stock 60/40/20/20 cap can with a new CE Manufacturing 80/40/30/20... I know one or two folks here have done that replacement successfully from an electrical standpoint, but my question is the physical fit of the can. AES describes it as being 3 1/2" tall, but the height...
  19. Joel Cairo

My Garrard's sludgy spindle motor was no match for FP-10...!

Just a verification of a tip that I found buried here in the AK archives... I've been in the process of restoring a 1966 Fisher Allegro console that I recently found, and the last part of the unit that I tackled was the Garrard Model 50 turntable. When received, the 'table turned at about 5 RPM...
  20. Joel Cairo

Fisher Allegro console: Question about a cartridge for the Garrard Model 50 TT...

I recently picked up a marvelous Fisher Allegro console. Currently the amp is undergoing a bit of age-related safety maintenance-- new power supply caps and other little details... like the installation of a **fuse** to begin with (what **were** they thinking by leaving that out?)... So...
  21. Joel Cairo

Thanks for your collected knowledge, AKers...

...because of the wealth of knowledge and encouragement that are scattered throughout these pages, my Infinity Crescendo CS-3008s are once again singing beautifully, after I replaced all of the foam surrounds this past week. I've chickened out on doing electrical work like re-soldering caps...
  22. Joel Cairo

Question about a Dynaco PAS chassis...

I'm building a project that would fit nicely into a PAS chassis, without the use of the inner "tray" that the components normally attach to. However, for my project, in order to hold the front and back panel to the chassis bottom plate, I'll need the side panels of the inner tray, where all of...
  23. Joel Cairo

What is the proper cabinet for an **early** MR-65 tuner?

I ask because I picked up a stunningly gorgeous MR-65 from a fellow AK'er (thanks, Paul!!) but there is a noticeable discrepancy in the dimension of the unit that I have, vs. the standard version that is described in the ubiquitous owner's manual. As described in the owners manual that I...
  24. Joel Cairo

Question from a DIY newbie...

I've been looking a various DIY tube preamp projects, but to be honest, the plain metal enclosures generally don't do much for me. What I'd really like to do is mount the project's PCB boards, connectors, knobs, etc. into a **much** more retro casing-- probably something made of wood or...
  25. Joel Cairo

MAC 1700/1900 cabinet-- what size screws does it take...?

Just picked up a slant-leg version of the cabinet, and I'm wondering what length and diameter of screw I should use to anchor the unit inside the case. And I guess while I'm asking: Metal washers-- yes or no...? Thanks for any help...! - Kevin
Back
Top Bottom