Search results

1. vibroverbus

Dewdz got any thoughts/suggests on flying speakers in a garage?

good idea. my questions here weren't so much about mechanics of flying as acoustics but nobody seems to get that, HOWEVER good suggestions thanks. since I'm just flying minis for the moment, I'm not worried about safety AS much but when I upsize yeah, a clip in static line from the same eye...
  2. vibroverbus

mmmphf. yeah. So nobody gots any suggestions for whether they should go downside up or rightside right for instance. FWIW for others searching later I have come across this JBL tech note which is about the mechanics of flying speakers and helpful for that aspect although I'm more...
  3. vibroverbus

Thanks but not exactly the question - I'm definitely flying but want to know if there's any technical considerations to think about. Re flying...
  4. vibroverbus

I've hung some Optimus Pro LX5's temporarily but they won't be permanent. Setup is a high ceilinged garage with speakers on the long end corners. Have pulleys setup to put them about 2' off the corner. I think I'll be hanging some much bigger modded marantz in there eventually that are 10"...
  5. vibroverbus

Tutorial: "Deep Cleaning" An Amplifier

You are half right - you don't want to use any of those oily-lube control cleaner / lube products on most audio pots because it does attract dust and gunk. But DeOxit and similar high end oleic acid (and other exotic goodies) containing cleaners are decidedly not a problem as long as you are...
  6. vibroverbus

Hmmm... I think "NO" is the answer to your question but maybe I misunderstand it. Basically this kind of washdown is an excellent process to use IN CONJUNCTION WITH DeOxit or other type of control cleaner/lubricants. I virtually never just do the wash down, but do both. Most often I...
  7. vibroverbus

SX-880 MPX problems... bad PA1001 or something else?

Yep I over thought this one. New PA1001 and it was right as rain. Sounds good too. Ought to with almost all new transistors throughout. Of course an inductor core had to be seized like all those cheapo plastic+ferrite jobs seem to do eventually so the dial scaling isn't perfect but got it...
  8. vibroverbus

Finally finished hack-modding some LX5 Optimii

Yep! http://www.psicat.com/Nathan/LVW_LX5.html
  9. vibroverbus

Finally finished hack-modding some LX5 Optimii

Got these free which is always the WORST thing for me. If something comes free I can justify all kinds of stupid time and effort and parts thrown at it, whereas if I'd paid $20 for it I'd be sensible and say "this is NOT worth all the trouble". I have a garbage heap SX-880 that I've probably...
  10. vibroverbus

Hey EastyJaz - I just stumbled on your avatar pic and it looks like a shot of a transmission...

Hey EastyJaz - I just stumbled on your avatar pic and it looks like a shot of a transmission line DIY speaker if I'm not mistaken? Can you give any history/background on it? Reason I ask is that I rebuilt a set of DIY transmission lines myself a couple years ago that appear to be very close...
  11. vibroverbus

Yeah I'm an FMTIC subscriber and major lurker so I found already that but not much luck on finding the Toko part number either. Thanks though...
  12. vibroverbus

Awesome. Thanks Mark. Exactly what i needed to keep pushing through. I love this place, sadly have been lurking for last year or so due to work / residence issues so not contributing as much as id like but folks here is de best. I'll have a bit more poking around on those suggestions but prob...
  13. vibroverbus

I've been rehabbing this SX-880 for years now as a ridiculously long running back-burner when-I-get-back-around-to-it project, and finally the pre/power amps are all fixed and everything working great except once that got squared away I discovered the FM wasn't working. Meters worked and...
  14. vibroverbus

Nice Marantz Score! (LOTS of pics)

You should be fine if it was just a minute or two with volume only part way up before you figured out "Hey nothings coming out". The damage comes in the form of flyback voltage from the output transformer absorbing all that energy but not having anyplace to put it. Much worst for a rocking...
  15. vibroverbus

Bathtub it bro. The 1080 has that big torroidal transformer which is relatively protected and nothing else to really worry about. I'd easily give one of those a light wash without disassembly if it was just a basic dust-and-cat-hair situation. Now I do NOT mean submerse it, which is where...
  16. vibroverbus

Astonishing Sony XDRF1HD Tuner

One mod I developed was this: Since the power tranny creates a lot of the heat, and there is, as you've noticed, very poor circulation inside the box despite lots of vent slots, I decided to try to get air to pass around the transformer better. I removed the txfr, then "hogged out" as the...
  17. vibroverbus

New TV = Massively changed room acoustics & speaker imaging!!!

That's exactly it apparently. I've often found it fun to play with speaker placement but often there are physical / decor / marital limitations on where you can go. I've often found just the right space to the wall nails the sweet spot - I'm assuming some distance equating to a favorable...
  18. vibroverbus

New TV = Massively changed room acoustics & speaker imaging!!!

A huge score for advocates of careful speaker placement / room acoustics tonight. In part-time apartment abroad I recently got the landlord to replace the giant old CRT whale with a (sorta cheap version of a) modern LCD HD TV. I just got to my first seated-'semi-critical'-listening session...
  19. vibroverbus

Well I have a reasonable pile of "selected high value" (read: ones who punch above their weight and are decent bargains) tuners in the 'mid-high' range, and I can say the better ones can show up some of the audio weakness of the Sony in an A/B. Specifically a Yamaha T-7, an Akai AT2600, and...
  20. vibroverbus

Fully respect your view, but realize a lot of others feel differently. For instance there are large parts of the jazz and classical enthusiast communities who want their specific programming, and want it in high quality and are extremely irritated with HD audio artifacts, and for whom a 2nd...
  21. vibroverbus

Man there is some weird stuff going on in this thread. First of all about the sadness about HD possibly being on the decline, most hardcore FM'ers and audio heads hate IBOC aka "HD" radio and would celebrate it's demise. Basically most people think it sucks both because of it's own...
  22. vibroverbus

Help needed - any 'fresh' tips for a CA-1010 relay problem?

I checked everything that seemed to be in the vicinity and in the process replaced a number of them out of principle, although not every single piece. C401-402 for sure, would have to check to remember which others, but cap-checks and diode-checks were the first thing I did. I just started...
  23. vibroverbus

Help needed - any 'fresh' tips for a CA-1010 relay problem?

Apologize in advance for this sorry-ass question as there's plenty of threads in the past with this exact same common-problem-for-these-models in the past. This should definitely be a 'find it in the archives' solution. I've looked all that stuff over, but I'm hornswoggled generating the...
  24. vibroverbus

Surprise. E-caps still blow up when you hook 'em up backwards...

Wow! Yeah I got the power off just before a catastrophic pop I suspect. Complete bozo rookie move I admit...
  25. vibroverbus

Surprise. E-caps still blow up when you hook 'em up backwards...

After summer hiatus back in the lab during rain today getting stale projects finished... Got the Yamaha T-7 Tuner re-capped and testing the work - wow sounds great, have tunes cranking for a while... then after a longer while... smoke starts to come off the board... and HEY one o' them...
Back
Top Bottom