Search results

1. RODALCO

Grundig console score

We had one of those Grundig consoles when I was a kid/teenager in The Netherlands. Great amplifier, awesome sound 4 speakers within unit and 2 external speakers to plug in. there are 4 rotary tone controls and switches to select options like Jazz, Wunshklang, stereo, The turntable is 4 speed...
  2. RODALCO

3M/Scotch color tape reels

Often see these red Scotch reels on ebay.
  3. RODALCO

Movies on reel to reel

Akai made some reel to reel machines in the 1970's which played black&white video on ¼" tape. The VT700. I think you had to record your own footage. These was also a smaller VT110 which took 7" reels.
  4. RODALCO

My first reel to reel was........

First R2R was an old Grundig TK5 mono tube recorder with the magic eye. (5" reels max) Got it from my uncle Klaas. Used to record music from my parents Philips tube colour TV. Programmes like AVRO's TopPop with the microphone, great days and memories. (1972 era) Got annoyed when the phone rang...
  5. RODALCO

Akai X-1800SD 15ips...

I got the Akai GX 1900 which does 15 IPS The Akai X2000 has a similar arrangement. Will have a look and provide you with a measurement.
  6. RODALCO

Tape speed adjustment when you have no test equipment - solution !

A method I have thought off, but never done yet, is to get a reel of Scotch leader tape, which has 1 second timing marks every 7½ IPS (19.05 cm). By running the leader tape through the machine and counting for example 50 or 100 timing marks versus time and work out the difference in error. You...
  7. RODALCO

An 18 year old's first reel to reel

Great stuff, welcome to the interesting world of reel to reel equipment. You will enjoy it and I am sure that you will acquire more R2R machines. The sound is great and the visual of the reels turning around looks great. On your current machine you may need to check the drive belts and idler...
  8. RODALCO

Help needed with R2R speed problem

If it is not mechanical It could be the start/running Capacitor of the capstan induction motor. They can go bad and the motor may not run at exact speed. To be honest don't know the set up in the Tandberg but I had the issue with a Sansui R2R and replacing the Cap fixed it.
  9. RODALCO

Realistic STA 2080 Amplifier

I got the new driver transistors, now to see if I can get hold of the driver transistors. They appear to be still available on ebay. any better replacements available. They are all 120 or 160 Volts rated.
  10. RODALCO

Blown resistor on an SX780?

While testing, when you have new components, it is good idea to put a 200 Watt lamp in series with the 240 Volts mains supply, to limit the currents. It avoids you cooking the new transistor modules, when fitted, as I found out blowing up my Realistic STA 2080 Amp after inserting a new mains...
  11. RODALCO

Realistic STA 2080 Amplifier

My 33 year old (1981) Realistic STA 2080 Receiver Amplifier stopped working with a pop and a blown 3.15 Amps mains fuse. This has been a great Amp over the years and it worked and performed very well. ( Never had a fault with it ) From the beginning onwards I always had a outside 240 Volts...
  12. RODALCO

Re: R2R tape speeds.

tape speeds I look at it for the digital minded generation that : Higher speeds 7.5 IPS and higher is WAV format ( CD quality ) 3/3/4 IPS in between but still good with a good quality tape e.g. Maxell 1 7/8 IPS like MP3 quality with a lot of higher frequencies missing. Bear in mind...
  13. RODALCO

Transferring my old band tapes to the PC...

I use Audacity it is free and works well. Keep the Audacity VU meters below the red to avoid clipping and record it in WAV format ( CD quality ) The M 9 has no variable output signal so you may have to go through a mixer. A good soundcard will have no problem running the data in 16 or...
  14. RODALCO

What Tapes Rolling,in What Deck,with what music

Paul Kalkbrenner on 10.5" Ampex 641 on the Akai GX-646
  15. RODALCO

Ampex 641 Tape on Ebay

Ampex 641 Just to add my 2 cents worth I have probably bought about 40 x 7" reels and 5 x 10.5" reels of the Ampex 641 tape and it is great, perhaps a little loss on the high frequencies, but this tape is great for music and recordings of youTube. The reels are a bit awkward to load...
  16. RODALCO

I Know Nothing About RTR

Sansui Reel to Reel Attached is a link to YouTube where my 2 channel auto reverse Sansui plays and shows the actual tape path. that is about the same as on your Sansui. I had the front cover off as the motor belt slips sometimes to the 60 hz pulley...
  17. RODALCO

Teac A4010 belt jumping off

Satcom123 Thanks for your replies. I have a look at it over the next couple of days and will get back with the results. Kind regards Raymond (Rod)
  18. RODALCO

Teac A4010 belt jumping off

Belts slipping to the wrong pulley I have a similar issue with a Sansui Auto reverse R2R. SD-5000 When changing to reverse mode, and sometimes at start up the belt slips from the 50 to the 60 Hz pulley. so i have been using the recorder with the front plate off, to slip the belt back to the...
  19. RODALCO

Akai & Sony thoughts?

Akai M 10 The Akai M10 has mechanical levers and is a 3 motor machine also, and has 4 speeds with the special capstan sleeve and small pinch roller. The Akai X 201 has a similar layout and also has 3 motors.
  20. RODALCO

Akai X-360D

120 Volts relays I didn't know that the relays had a coil voltage of 120 Volts or thereabouts. Great that we use 120 Volts DC relays in our electricity substations which are normally 2 or 3 pole octal or 11 pin with change over contacts. Got already a few salvaged from old substation panels.
  21. RODALCO

Akai X-360D

I don't think that is a motor run cap as they are usually silver coloured. You should be able to get a replacement for the 0.47 uF Cap. Somehow in the older days they used the suffix M instead of u for micro Farad index.
  22. RODALCO

Akai X-360D

Akai X-360 Hi, the X-360D is a great machine, auto reverse and even 15 IPS speed when the capstan sleeve is fitted. It is also very complicated with a lot of relays. You will be able to fix it and have a great piece of audio history with professional audio quailty. Check the motor run...
  23. RODALCO

unknown tape speeds??

It could have been recorded on a recorder with the 50 / 60 Hertz pulleys and the belt was on the wrong pulleys. It would give a 20 % error.
  24. RODALCO

Sony TC-630

I have one of those 630's too. Great machine although a 1 motor design with bels and idler wheels which can cause some problems. Mine struggles with FFW and REW and sometimes the tape moves off the pinchroller. The build in amplifier is good as well. There should be two attacheble speakers...
  25. RODALCO

I like reel to reel tape recorders They are awesome pieces of vintage audio engineering.

I like reel to reel tape recorders They are awesome pieces of vintage audio engineering.
Back
Top Bottom