Search results

1. egay

Cheap amp to power Maggie SMGa

Amps for Maggies Hi MarZ, As far as I remember, those big speakers sounded best with big SS amps; heard them with ARCs and they sounded 'too round' and bloated for me. If you like to try the LSA (hybrid), then why not. They are big but somehow do not have that build quality I expected...
  2. egay

Hi MarZ: I've long given-up on the LSA because after just 3 mo driving my Concerto Domus, the amp just conked-out and it took several months to fix :nono: For the Duntech or the Dunlavy - we used to drive these with real muscle amps like the Gryphon or the Jeff Rowland (cannot remember the...
  3. egay

Is this Kappa 8 crossover mod nuts or for real?

Hello Okee: I am planning of bi-amping my K9s and your post caught my attention - especially your 'recommendation' of using 'different gain' amps. Wouldn't that make your SQ 'confused'? I'd like to learn more about bi-amping strategies using the passive xover. TIA, egay .e. :music:
  4. egay

Seriously!! 20W for infamous amp killer Kappa 9 in extended bass mode

Wow. A teeny-weeny amp for the K9s...something new to me - but am quite intrigued with this thread and the post:jawdrop: I have plans to bi-amp my K9s but am still researching what 'other amp' to use and 'how' to do it without destroying anything. So, CCheung, would you kindly give some...
  5. egay

This is an update of my post: I was in a friend's listening studio/Showroom last night and had a chance to listen to the less-heralded LSA STANDARD INTEGRATED AMP because I needed a muscular amp for my Sonus Faber Concerto - and there it was: massive, macho-looking integrated that's more at...
  6. egay

mcintosh speakers vs any other

I totally agree with NT on this: my local Mc dealer has these XRT2Ks that had been driven with the likes of Boulders, Burmeisters, Krells, etc; but the only ones that 'tamed' them were the KW Macs :drool: ... but even with these KWs, the Mc speakers sound 'wanting' say compared to the big...
  7. egay

Should I plug the Mac amp directly to an outlet

Hi JohnK - how do you exactly do this? I'm ready to call my contractor to review my house circuits, especially my audio room, but i don't know WHAT to ask or tell him to do exactly :saywhat: TIA! .e.
  8. egay

I've been wondering about this fr years - thanks, jdandy!... unfortunately, i've ye to find an electrical contractor or supplier here in Manila who can provide me this device. I've talked to 2 contractors and they are recommending the BIG AVR+SURGE PROTECTOR++ that measures around 36"H x 72" L...
  9. egay

Help: MCD201

Thanks a lot, everyone, these had been very helpful indeed! I'm still waiting for McLab and my local dealer to answer my question, otherwise, i'll just bring the unit to them and ask for a "service unit" - preferably a 301 or a 501 :D The 201 serves me very well as it clearly bettered my...
  10. egay

Thughes, Esweter: yes i have a warranty and i just emailed McLab; i also contacted my local dealer and am waiting for some feedbacks. Thanks for these pointers :wave: egay
  11. egay

Oh, thanks Bradley - so it could be the software, huh?! I'll check with them and report back :wave: .e.
  12. egay

To Bi-Amp or not to bi-amp

:naughty: ha! ha! ha! while I agree that the kilowatt amps can simplify everything, I supposed for a guy to own such equipment, getting extra cables and creating a web-like situation would be a non-issue: Alberto simply wants to optimize his available stuffs I wish i had the same 'problem'...
  13. egay

I've had this player for about 4 mos now and i'm loving every 'bit' of it. However, it seems too picky with discs: it does not play many of my CDRs and sometimes would not read some SACDs the first try :confused: ... but my main issue is that it "mis-tracts" some of my SACDs but never my CDs...
  14. egay

MC252 vs. SimAudio W8

Hi there! I haven't had a chance to listen to Sim equipment but I had plenty of opportunity to compare the 252/501 with Krells, BATs, ARCs, JRDGs, etc - SSs, Tubes, & Class D - and the Macs seem to me possess the characteristics of these amps: power & speed like those top SS/D amps and warmth...
  15. egay

To Bi-Amp or not to bi-amp

I'm a bi-amper if and when I can, although I've never used active bi-amping because of equipment availability (I would have done so if there were any good electronic x-overs here...but I'm passed that). I've used Forte amps before and then changed to Musical Fidelity XA-200s, and each gave me...
  16. egay

I have always plugged my SS amps directly on my dedicated outlet and always had much better results compared with when they are plugged into my Audioprism Foundation...my amps lasted like forever; even my Krell FPB-200c, which is an electricity guzzler likes it that way (probably the only way)...
  17. egay

You can say that again! :thmbsp: The Maggies must be the most natural-sounding speakers I ever had; what's more is that the sound is the same when I'm sitting down or standing up and I can't say that for my Sonus:no: or for another traditional boxed speakers I've heard. Pianos, strings, vocals...
  18. egay

SS Amps for Maggies I had a pair of MGLR1 (maybe similar to your SMGs) from 98 to 2005 - and I sometimes regret selling them. I drove those babies with the Musical Fidelity X-A200 monos during those times and I felt I didn't have to touch them anymore (of course until I got envy of tubes...
  19. egay

Hi from a new lurker

Hello Eskie, Welcome aboard :wave: Analog is really an excellent but very challenging medium because of the many variables you need to tackle to get superior SQ. However, you can rest assured that even a modest analog system can better a more expensive digital system hands down :thmbsp...
  20. egay

Hi, I'm Egay

:wave: ok, no Balut for you... we also have tuyo, bagoong, and litson :yes: Thanks for the welcome! .e.
  21. egay

McIntosh MVP-871 Upgrade Co. SE Vs. MCD-500

Dan, Congratulations on your upgraded toy :wave: I am really amazed of the many options available to all of you - that you can upgrade equipment and breathe new life to them - very exciting :thmbsp: unlike here in my side of the pond where 'upgrading' component levels seem to be only done...
  22. egay

I'm from Canada......

Hi Overload - WELCOME! :wave: I am also new (from the Philippines) and I am so far enjoying the warmth in AK, I think you will, too. So what source do you listen to more - Analog or Digital? I hope you can share a bit :yes: Greets from Manila! .e.
  23. egay

Any opinions on a MC-2205 + C-32 combo?

Need help with my 2205 Hello Ryan, I am new in AK and the welcome I received is very heart-warming :wave: I had a chance to visit your website yesterday BUT then I realized I have AK on my side, so I keept searching for the appro[riate topic and I found THIS - thanks, Guiller, for the...
  24. egay

Any opinions on a MC-2205 + C-32 combo?

Hi Guiller, All I have just caught a fairly maintained MC2205 amp which I'm thinking of replacing my JRDG 102 with for main duty as my SF Concerto Domus 'wants/needs' more power to really sing. As with my other Mac (MCD201), I find the 2205 warm and have solid but tight bass. I don't listen...
  25. egay

Hi, I'm Egay

Dear AudioKarma FRIENDS :wave: You are so warm - thank you for your welcome. I really hope to be a ble to participate in discussions and be able to contribute in some ways. Audiophilia is high here in the Philippines although it is more-or-less concentrated in the Metro Manila area...
Back
Top Bottom