Search results

1. ajamesb

I Overlooked Canton Speakers Because of the Name

I have the literature somewhere, but the translation is along the line of what Opnly bafld said. The initial goal of Canton upon startup was simply "to produce the best speaker out there", which I would think would be any startup's goal. I acquired the display pair of the solid acrylic CA10's...
  2. ajamesb

I Overlooked Canton Speakers Because of the Name

Started with Canton CA line when I got back into the hobby some 20 years ago. Had come across an AK post indicating that active speakers were more efficient by design and jumped on the 1st pair of CA10's that came along as they seemed cheap compared to American actives. Little did I know that...
  3. ajamesb

New silkscreening on faceplates?

Rxonmymind. I have the 2500 main plate that I described getting anodized above. It is a clean, blank, clear-coated plate (same as the 2385, 2600) with no printing. Thought I might get it printed and put on the Bay but never got to it. The issue with these is trying to match them up with the...
  4. ajamesb

Are you sure the smaller fonts are engraved/stamped? As I recall I looked into some engraved units way back and concluded only the upper model #, logo and component description along the upper left, middle and right edge was actually engraved. I agree with bberkom's suggestion although it might...
  5. ajamesb

This was my first thought as well. My company has the digital screen print file for the 2230, along with other Marantz units I have worked on but have to say the odds of precisely matching every edge of an engraved plate is a stretch. I am not trying to sell anything here. Most of what I have...
  6. ajamesb

I refurbished two 2230 silver plates for a fellow collector here on AK who just let me know of this thread. Fortunately they were not engraved as this would have thrown an additional challenge at me. The fill and wipe suggestions might prove problematic for two reasons. First, the ridges in the...
  7. ajamesb

BA-5000, CA-2000 service tech recommendation?

Ah, Sansui CA 3000 dropping a channel. Been there, twice now actually. After acquiring a full herd of TOTL Marantz and Sansui gear over the years, and in the process finding a go to tech who is both professional and extremely knowledgeable I will suggest you contact Bill Ersoy of Cherish44 who...
  8. ajamesb

is this where all the Marantz 2500's went?

Haven't taken any pics yet but I did swing a deal for three of the four 2600's. The fourth is a Euro version which he has an attachment to. I went with the interest in one, maybe two to try for a better price, but after we got down to it I proposed all three. He was going to list two on...
  9. ajamesb

Well I have to thank you guys. It was this post that prompted me to check out this sellers auctions on the Bay. When I realized he was a short drive south of me we set up a meet and greet, and today I spent a few hours auditioning one of his 2600's feeding a pair of Klipschorns. :music: He...
  10. ajamesb

And I thought having three 2500's was excessive :no:
  11. ajamesb

Pics of your listening space

Wow Butch...I'm speechless! Welcome.
  12. ajamesb

If you like ADS speakers, then?

ADS and Others The type of music you listen to should also play into your decision. My ADS pairs include 910, 1230 and 1590's, and are quite capable with rock and heavy blues. Do not plan on parting with the 910's or 1590's anytime soon as they both continue to amaze me. Canton are great...
  13. ajamesb

Who has Vintage Marantz Amps/Receivers?

500 Meter Lenses Jstang, On the 500 lenses my company makes them. Don't know if you saw but my Ebay I.D., and AK I.D., are the same. I am also on Twitter/Pinterest and F.B., page under Acrylic Audio & Design if you want to see a bit more. Have spent the last few years setting up Acrylic...
  14. ajamesb

Greetings from the shores of Lake Erie

Welcome Bloozedude :thmbsp: What can you tell me about your Bose 1801's? My tech., and I were just talking about the amount of power stored in my 500 as compared to Macs MC2255, and your Bose. Even though the 500 panned out to be around 330 jewels versus 98 for the Mac, he had to pause and...
  15. ajamesb

Been trying to keep up with your thread on the 500 rebuild. Good point on the risk associated with slow power-ups of units with soft-start relays. I am aware of this and generally power up within six seconds, but with my bigger soft-start gear I cut that in half. Not familar with the noise...
  16. ajamesb

Denton, Seller just came up on the Bay with various 2385 parts. No balance control but you may want to ask. A good item to have around as a spare is the relay which is up. Shipping is a bit steep.
  17. ajamesb

Marantz 300DC :banana:Thanks CC, I have yet to get into tube gear, but everything I've read suggests you are correct. I just went through the issue of reforming caps with my tech., which is also more applicable (and more achievable) to tube equipment. Certainly, the benefit to recapping is...
  18. ajamesb

Marantz 500 Rebuild :music:Good to know on the mode selector switch. Aside from the cap or not to cap issue, the bigger issue facing the industry right now are the offshore knock-offs of all types of electrical components used to service our pieces of audio history. We did a total...
  19. ajamesb

Yes, the 2385 is all original. Had it serviced two years ago. The only thing it has needed was a rebuild of the mode switch. I've seen one other 2385 on the Bay with the same issue, but not sure if this is common. You mentioned you bi-passed your balance control. These can often be worked on as...
  20. ajamesb

That is a beautiful unit. I personally would advise against going in and just replacing caps to get your comfort level up. Would not consider purchasing it myself once it was done either. As you said it is beautiful sounding. I am fortunate to have found a tech., who has educated me about...
  21. ajamesb

Doby, what can you tell me about your Teacs? Been thinking of r2r's but not sure how hard the tape is to come by.
  22. ajamesb

My retreat. Finished attic space I can call my own. Way too small but comfortable. Just got my Canton CA15's up and running today from a two year refurb on both cabs, drivers and amps. Next in line is to put the acrylic CA10's back together.
  23. ajamesb

Newly made woofers for Dahlquist DQ-10's

I agree with Blue Shadow. I have three pair of 10's and a pair of 20's. Two of the 10 pairs have sat waiting for original woofers. The day you decide to try something different and sell your 10's they will appeal to a wider market to include serious collectors with the iriginal woofers...
  24. ajamesb

It's not me, they followed me home

Dented Tweeter Domes In restoring a pair of JBL L26's I found that spraying the tweeter domes heavily with a rubber & vinyl restorer and letting it soak horizontally for 15 to 30 seconds allows for the vacuum method to pop the domes back to the original shape. Make sure the nozzle on the end of...
  25. ajamesb

ADS Speakers

John, thanks for the reminder on the 1230 placements. I have yet to come across any placement guidance on them so the creative side of me took over. I know the 910's are suggested 10" off the floor, and I have some Dahlquist DQ10's which are well known for being designed for 3 to 4 feet away...
Back
Top Bottom