Search results

1. skywavebe

I can't believe there isn't one audio tech in the entire NY northeast

There is also Russ Bachmann in New Jersey but he is mainly tape decks and maybe some Teac like other items. He was manager of the Teac service in that state.
  2. skywavebe

I can't believe there isn't one audio tech in the entire NY northeast

Bob Shuster is in New Youk, RI area. Look up Shuster Sound. I know he is competent but he may not want to work on just anything.
  3. skywavebe

Teac to-122a

The use of this device is well described in an owners manual. The T0-122A can be set for a low level and that is put into the front input and the deck put into Test mode and then when recording at -20dBu the bias and levels can be adjusted. The Test mode allows the meter system to display at 0...
  4. skywavebe

Leaving this forum as too many erased post due to stupid policies.

Leaving this forum as too many erased post due to stupid policies.
  5. skywavebe

I found a source for pushbutton power switches.

If you look around Amazon is always too high priced...
  6. skywavebe

10.5" take up OK for a 7" tape?

Yes there are very expensive machines like MTR that have this but that is not the subject of this question. I use the same size reels when I work on these decks and I just did 4 of them recently. The main issue is that some people go in and adjust the tension on the arms wrong using methods that...
  7. skywavebe

Loose tape lifter arm on restored Teac A3300SX-2T

In all my years on many decks I do not remember the lifters being in contact to the tape when the heads are to be used. In fact the A3300S is the one I was looking to put the ceramic pieces on and I made sure that the lifter would go up and clear the tape surface when retracted. If it did not...
  8. skywavebe

AKAI GX747 bias adjust for EE tape

BASF made it too and it was the only one that was back coated- this is the only reel tape I buy but I have never to date seen one in my place. I have defective TDK SA and Maxell XL II multiple rolls that were purchased new and sat at Teac Factory Service in Arlington Heights but that is tape...
  9. skywavebe

are aiwa decks good? need info

Aiwa was a deck that a lot of people bought but then they are not Technicians and once you get into one then you find out how they are built. Personally I would stay away from such a thing but there were some nice upper models like the XK-S9000 but then I let my associate work on them. A...
  10. skywavebe

JVC KD 55j Dead Motor Cassette

Most older decks can use a EG5302D-2B and this can be found on E bay. The 2B means 12V. There is a 9V model that has max specs of 11.7Vdc input. In a 12 Vdc supply the 11.7 can be reduced using a common 1 amp diode to get to 11.5Vdc. The 1N4001 0r up to 4004 will work fine. The parts of the...
  11. skywavebe

Pioneer CT-7100 - seems very hot

Pioneer was notorious to use a large wattage resistor that releases a lot of heat. This needs to be upgrade to a larger resistor so that it is warm rather than hot- it should not take long to find it. In the cassette well maybe someone put a higher wattage lamp that is not suppose to be the...
  12. skywavebe

AKAI GX747 bias adjust for EE tape

It is silly to go chasing over EE tape as the tapes I have that have very little use have major drops outs and level shifts. Then you can not buy it new anymore and so it is like fixing cylinder recorders. The wow and flutter at slow speed the EE does nothing for that. The minimum speed is 7.5...
  13. skywavebe

0.1uf Suzuki 400WV Capacitors

I am not telling you to keep the Suzuki caps change them all out if you want. I just do not see them blow all that often. The caps on computer boards yes, but then here we are at China again.
  14. skywavebe

0.1uf Suzuki 400WV Capacitors

Yes, Panasonic was known to cheap things out. In Japan they are called National and the Japanese don't buy that stuff I am told. Look what they did to the Technics RS line of decks with all that garbage they put in there. Teac caps last way longer than Technics as long as they are Not Marcon...
  15. skywavebe

To examine the lifter the thing would need to be taken off. Some guys try and turn rods that should not be turned and in that they may have damaged the press fit rod on the part. There is a spring that pulls the lifters up. When the Pinch roller assembly goes up, it causes the lifter to retract...
  16. skywavebe

Question: R2R tape length/ recording capacity

Older decks do not have any trouble bias to a higher level tape. I have done the Tascam 22-2 to 996 without any problem. In fact there has been no tape I could not bias a deck to in the last 47 years- the fact that some decks can not be biased to a tape is fictitious. Of course there is no need...
  17. skywavebe

Hitachi D-500 (not D-W500)

I checked some of the regulars as well as Vintage Cassette and they do not even list that model. Electro Tanya has no D500. Maybe you can use the D550 if it is kind of the same. Must be a very rare or old unit as no one seems to have it.
  18. skywavebe

TEAC A-4010 SL - Play Malfunction

When changing a belt on these the one thing that many do not do is oil the capstan bearing as in pull the capstan shaft out and get good oil into the bearing itself- outside or the top of the bearing will do little good. Recent years I have come upon an oil called AMSoil Signature series...
  19. skywavebe

Teac Z-6000 Lamp bulb??

OK, But I would still opt for the lower current type and less heat as they put in certain type lamps in fro a reason as it matches the power supply.
  20. skywavebe

Vcr audio issue

It is a standard performance issue that even on good deck the slower speed have higher wow and flutter as it is just the nature of the mechanism. The direct drive capstan motors with a lot of wear on then have worn out bearings and I have seen this on Sony decks. There comes a point that you...
  21. skywavebe

AKAI 265D minor service

Most likely a bad transistor or electrolytic. Akai was known for use of parts that did not last all that long such as the 2SC458 transistors. I would put KSC1845 which is a better grade of transistor and recap the whole things if you want it reliable for the future. Head are also of concern as...
  22. skywavebe

I have had complaints that the right tension arm jitters when in fast wind. This is caused by two things. One being the damping oil/grease they used in it has been oiled so many times that it now works too lose and incorrectly. As you point out the flat spot adds to the friction but even so with...
  23. skywavebe

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

April 17th 2009
  24. skywavebe

What tape (any format) are you playing now?

I am using LPR35 on a freshly calibrated X1000RBL. This is 7" reel 1/4" wide reel tape.
  25. skywavebe

10.5" take up OK for a 7" tape?

There is concern for lower grade machines as those with idlers as these usually are 7" reel only machines anyway. The 10.5" and 7" mix on a X1000R when adjusted right will not be a problem and the reel size switch does not change the torque on the motors- that is to tell the processor what size...
Back
Top Bottom