Search results

1. stereofun

Which Model?

2. stereofun

Good old school funk.

Let your Sui rip. Good groove in the basement. Good mid section and decent highs.
  3. stereofun

AU-505 vs AU-555a power ratings

Seems to be some confusion about the power of these two amps. Often the 505 is referred to as 12w/8ohm and the 555a as 25w/8ohm. I'll argue they are identical, but the ratings are misleading because on the 505, various power specs are listed whereas the 555a, only list two: continuous at 4ohm /...
  4. stereofun

Gadget + Tidal + hacked Android - changed everything....

Once every blue moon or so an upgrade comes along.....maybe a newly restored amp, new speakers, source player that changes everything and becomes a new improved chapter of your rig, from where you will never go back. For me it was the ifi blue zen Bluetooth receiver with a build in DAC combined...
  5. stereofun

Shoot-out: 777a, 555a, 505, Eight D

Selling some audio gear for a friend. His speakers are Polk Rti A3's: Excellent sounding budget speakers with an engaging speed and surprising low-end, albeit a bit high-strung, which makes them suitable for cap- coupled amps as they gently push the tweeter "forward" for a bit more crystaline...
  6. stereofun

What's your favorite beer / stereo combo ?

Nothing like a stereoHopic with a stereophonic...says stereofun ;-)
  7. stereofun

Sansui projects 2021 ?

Happy New Year guys ! What are some Sansui projects you are planning this year ? I'll begin: I have a near mint Sansui Eight Deluxe that has collected dust for 4 years that I am very excited about. It sounds good, but you can tell it's running on tired and likely out of spec caps, yet you...
  8. stereofun

Your Sansui away from home...

Been chasing down blue tooth speakers of late to have for camping and at pool side on occation. They mostly sound flimsy, distorts, muddy base or too little, shrill - you name it. It is hard when you are used to good stuff from three Sansui rigs throughout the house. Then this lowly $42...
  9. stereofun

Getting the 999 "Wired"

Is it conceivable that the longer and thinner a power cord is - the more it can impede current draw ? I am sure the theoretical answer is a resounding "of course" - but does it have any bearing on the few amperes we are dealing in - And further, can a 9.5 ft thinly insulated 999 cable pick up -...
  10. stereofun

So what did you do for your birthday...?

With a 5.0 version upgrade I got this reasonable question. But only here I can tell the truth and be understood :D I had a great time cleaning and readjusting my restored and modded AU-505. I drilled out the speaker terminals to accept larger diameter cables - this is a simple mod that makes...
  11. stereofun

My apologies to the 800

I've made amends and promised at least four new film caps and quarterly de-ox baths. So for a while a pesky intermittent left channel weakening was occurring. It was clearly related, to the interconnect "seating" at the terminal as repositioning the rather stiff Blue jeans LC-1 would sort it...
  12. stereofun

Simple AU-505 hack for better top end.

I love the AU-505, especially it's low end and beautiful mid, but have always felt it was a bit lacking at the top, compared some of its cap coupled brethren namely 555/777 and the 800. I've experimented with poly bypases, but if anything, they'll help tame or refine a top end, not bring it...
  13. stereofun

Sansui 800 Resto - she played hard to get, but in the end....

Recently came across a Sansui 800 - I was a bit surprised, she sang pretty darn well for 50 and 22 watts - here is the thread for that. I figured, lets see if we can notch up the sonics a bit and keep her going for another 50 years. So without further due.... First up is to tackle the local...
  14. stereofun

Varistor DS410 - Sansui 800

Making a part list for a Sansui 800 - on the driver board there are two varistors designated DS410 Those are new to me. a) Are those trouble makers and should be replaced ? b) If so, does anybody know how to decode the DS410 designation. I should mention that they measure in circuit between...
  15. stereofun

Sansui 800 - didn't see that one coming...

Still wandering around, stuck in the 60'ties, exploring the very early Sansui solid states. A good place for that are old brochures like this one obtained from Hifi-Engine (accounts are free if you need one) Browsing along I realized that I had somehow missed the Sansui 800 - never really heard...
  16. stereofun

Best bang for your buck, Six ?

I've got a Six coming in - with the instructions to do a budget overhaul. I know this is an oxymoron....but it's a friend, Sansui lover, but no deep pockets at the moment. Unit works, sounds ok, but a bit tired with a bass and mid that's doesn't quite have the punch you'd ecpect from a single...
  17. stereofun

Highest compliment.

My wife is something else. One for putting up with my Sansui obsession, currently sporting 3 systems in the house and one (AU-777a) on permanent display. ( To be hooked up on rare occasions as a jar dropper if someone questions if it this old transistor relic still works) She toletates them but...
  18. stereofun

Three Quick and Dirty tricks.....When you are absolutely bored.

In Denmark we have a saying: "boredom is the root of all evil" - and so it is, one begins to tinker away: Quick and dirty trick no 1: (ONLY to be performed on your "tinker" amp and with the understanding that things might go wrong, also acknowledge that the professional way is to replace the...
  19. stereofun

Whoa...what just happened here

So I updated my media room - kept everything the same including the all critical speaker position. ONLY change was a Furman M-8x2 power conditioner (something I have never used before) and a new set of speaker cables, Knukonceptz Karma SS 10AWG (a slight upgrade over their Kord speaker wire)...
  20. stereofun

It's all relative...

I recently pursued a dream and purchased an absolutely amazing aircraft, a so-called "trike"" which in it's category is the Sansui X1 or Au-111. Cream of the crop / Holy Grail. I love it - amazing way to fly, you can feel the texture of the air in your finger tips, smell the crops you fly over...
  21. stereofun

New power cord for wider soundstage.....grab a chair.

I was lazily browsing some audio sites and this got my attention from Audiocircle.com. What do you think - my AU-999 power cord is long and narrow, I was wondering if I can expect a dramatically wider sound stage once I mount this gleaming python ?:rflmao: His listening impressions...
  22. stereofun

Franken AU-505 resurrected.

Helping out a friend with a recent AU-505 bay purchase. The piece was in bad shape, no light due to a shorted socket holder, broken phone and mic jacks, Wrong fuses and otherwise just dirty and a bit banged up. For a start there was no sound in either channel. Right outputs were shorted and not...
  23. stereofun

Any Oppo BD-105 owners ?

Hopefully this is the right forum ? - curious to know if there are any oppo BD-105 owners around here. I just bought one and was wondering what others think - also have some questions. Cheers!
  24. stereofun

My oldest girl just got her first Sansui...

Here is my 16 year old daughters first system: A rebuild Au-505 with Dynaco speakers from the mid-60'ties. Here history repeats itself - near identical speakers as well as a cap coupled Lenco amp were my first system, handed down from my dad as well. She is Danish / American and are thrilled...
  25. stereofun

2ST5949 - 25mhz outputs....but are they fake ?

Ok - I took a stab and just ordered these through utsource.net - they were priced about the same as onsemi MJ211's - I would not be surprised if they are fakes - on the other hand, these devices were available just few years ago through Mouser, something that cant be said about many of the...
Back
Top Bottom