Search results

1. C

Koss PRO/4AAA sadness :(

Does anyone know of good replacement ear pads for the old Pro 4AAAs? I'd like to get mine restored.
  2. C

Rectilinear Highboys vs. The World

How do the Rec 3s stack up against big ARs (9s/90s etc) or big ADS (1290/1230 etc) or other big East Coast speakers?
  3. C

AR-9, AR-90, AR-91, AR-92 speaker adjustment

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Since they aren't in the recommended positioning I'll likely try that first. Since I recapped with the Dayton's I don't intend to redo everything, but perhaps the bypass caps or something else may make future sense. I run an older Carver prologic...
  4. C

AR-9, AR-90, AR-91, AR-92 speaker adjustment

I have a pair of AR-90s that have 0db, -3db and -6db adjustments for the tweeter, upper midrange and lower midrange drivers. The other big Teledyne ARs have similar adjustment controls. How do you like yours set? My speakers are recapped with Dayton poly caps and I run them with an Adcom 555...
  5. C

83' Heresys

Since I am considering whether to go with Crites versus Daytons myself, I am curious whether your observation was a casual one or based on side-by-side critical listening.
  6. C

Any cure for low output ADS tweeters?

Problem fixed. I solved by realigning the drivers by measuring their output against the good driver until they matched. I did this by playing FM hiss and measuring output with a free phone app
  7. C

Misaligned ADS 206-0101 tweeter - Any solutions?

Problem resolved! It wasn't the ferro fluid, it was indeed alignment. Both my tweeter and midrange needed to be adjusted. I did this by loosening the screws on the drivers and repositioning the cone versus magnet by playing FM hiss and measuring the decibel output using a free mobile phone...
  8. C

Misaligned ADS 206-0101 tweeter - Any solutions?

I am having the exact same issue with an L1290 tweeter. Are there any do-it-yourself remedies here, or am I looking at a professional tweeter rebuild or a new tweeter?
  9. C

Are there any instructions for replacing the ferro fluid? Is if difficult or require special tools?
  10. C

I have this exact same problem with a pair of 1290's. The one tweeter is fine. The other tweeter works, but is at a lower output. Any suggestions?
  11. C

Klipsch Chorus 2 or Altec Model 14

Sounds like the Altecs may be worth a try. The magic of the Klipsch is their ability to put an acoustic guitar right in the room with you, and some vocals right on stage in front of you. They do this better at times than the rest of my collection but I haven't yet gotten them to sound as...
  12. C

Thanks for all the comments. I have used the Chorus 2s with borrowed tubes (Eico and Scott), a borrowed HK 930 and my current SS equipment (Denon AVR, Adcom 555, Luxman R-115, Vector Research Vr7000) . The tubes did improve them but I didn't think the improvement was night and day like the...
  13. C

I own Chorus 2s but have always been interested in Altecs. I know they are more rare but sonically how do they compare to the Klipsch? I've read about all the great reviews of the Model 19 including many favorable comparisons to K-Horns, but I'm curious about the 14s. The C2s are pretty...
  14. C

Another new Forte owner....

Can you expand upon the reasons to go with one design vs. the other? Were your Crites crossovers "upgraded" or basically a new version of stock? I'm contemplating changes here and would like to get your thoughts. I have a pair of Chorus 2s and am having trouble thinking that the caps have...
  15. C

Going to a bigger room: Paradigm Studio 20 v3 upgrade to Studio 60 v5?

The Studio 20s are fantastic speakers. I auditioned a pair of v2s extensively years ago but ended up with the Studio 60 v2s. To my ears the 20s were great but the 60s much better with much more authority and room filling sound. Each version has gotten a bit better so the swap up to 60s and...
  16. C

What should I expect from NLAs?

Are your surrounds really stiff? NLAs should have terrific bass but that requires VERY supple foam surrounds. If they seem stiff, replace them with the Advent specialty 10" foams (Rick Cobb, MyAudioAddiction etc.)
  17. C

AR2ax or Dynaco A25 +Marantz 2245?

If you refoam the ARs try to select very soft 10" surrounds. "Standard" 10 inch foams are often a bit stiff for ARs to get maximum bass. There are several threads discussing which foams are best but I believe the JBL foams or Boston foams are recommended. Rick Cobb (loneytunes on ebay) can...
  18. C

Klipsch Chorus II initial impressions

Thanks for the ideas. I'm using a Sony CD-player as the source. It's fine for all my other speakers so I'm not necessarily going to swap it out just for the Klipsch's benefit. The Ti diaphragms have some interest as do the felt and foam mods you mention above. I know there are posts dealing...
  19. C

Klipsch Chorus II initial impressions

An an update on my Chorus 2 listening impressions: I've had them hooked up to an Eico HF-81 tube amp for about a month now. Very Live sounding speakers! Bass is strong. Mids are great. Highs are still somewhat overpowering. I know these speakers are known for being a bit bright but are...
  20. C

EPI vs AR

I'll buck the trend here by saying I generally prefer the 2AX vs. the 100s although both are very nice. Impressions can also change from room to room and based on source material. Yes, the EPIs have sparkling highs and their bass is quite nice, especially for a small speaker. But to my ears...
  21. C

Another Heresy/Cornwall thread

I'm curious what makes them preferable over the Chorus IIs (especially since I have Chorus IIs but not Cornwalls)? I've seen some say the Chorus IIs sound better. I know we all have different likes so I'm wondering what drives your overall favor torwards the Cornwalls. Regarding the Heresy...
  22. C

Any thoughts on the AR38s?

If your AR38s lack bass, it's probably the compliance of the foams. These need ultra compliant 10" foams. The JBL or Boston (I think) foams are best. I originally had the AR-38s professionally refoamed but was unhappy with the bass. I replaced the foams myself with the JBL foams (from...
  23. C

Rate these speakers pls

You've got a nice list of speakers there so I think the rankings you'll get will likely be all over the place. I own ADS 1290s and AR-90s. I'd give the nod to the ARs for bass output, being slightly smoother and having a bigger overall sound. I'd give the nod to the 1290s for a bit better...
  24. C

Holy S*#T is that what music sounds like

I'm sure you've already noticed this but the L50s need the grills removed to sound their best and need to be on stands. The grills cause a considerable loss in top end and detail. You'll also need to back off on the controls down to somewhere between 9 to 11 o'clock since they are a bit hot at...
  25. C

Why Crites for Capacitors?

I've noticed that Klipsch lovers seem to overwhelmingly favor Crites capacitors. For any other speaker discussed on AK recapping seems more generic, but for the Klipsch fans it always focuses on Crites. I've heard great things about Crites from a product/service perspective but what...
Back
Top Bottom