Search results

1. shipdriver

Odd and Possibly Crazy Audio/Video Connection Question

I don't have DirecTV and never will. My HDTV broadcasts are free. That sounds more like a messed up TV and/or calibration than anything representative of modern displays. Unlike audio where sound improvements are incremental and expensive and about getting the last 1/10%, massive...
  2. shipdriver

Very Odd Question about my Center Speakers

Your problem may actually be helping you out. Two speakers right next to each other playing identical program material like that rarely give good results. There can be odd nulls created which can affect the sound coming out and create strange listening position requirements in order to get...
  3. shipdriver

Very Odd Question about my Center Speakers

Where do you have these speakers positioned?
  4. shipdriver

Show Off Your Small Listening Space

Is your listening spot right in the middle of the room? That is usually the biggest bass null. For me in my 10x12 room, I use the middle because the bass would be overwhelming anywhere else. Try moving your listening position close to the back wall or play with speaker positions to affect the...
  5. shipdriver

The KD-990 was renamed the KP-7010 in 1988 and the KP-1100 (the model above the 990) became the KP-9010. I love my 9010!
  6. shipdriver

C-130 Fans Here in AudioKarma?

Was a passenger on one in Iraq. My second least favorite plane ride. The worst was the COD off of the CVN which was even more cramped and uncomfortable, but at least it had an exhilarating launch. I'll never forget transiting in-theater with a short hop (as in no cruise phase...at all) in a...
  7. shipdriver

movies and intelligibility

I would wager you were having some serious nulls created by those 2 speakers side by side.
  8. shipdriver

Need Modern Chair for Listening Room

Wow...I have Stressless chairs (from the lower part of the range) and 3-400 for one would be bargain of the century, unless you mean 3-400 Kuwaiti dinars or something. Do you have a site that would have a deal like that?
  9. shipdriver

Need help with listening space setup

Of course, but it is less of a factor than the front wall distance, correct? I agree that there is no optimal solution here, but using the short wall as the front wall and dealing with what (relatively minor compared to other speaker types) reflections there are with treatment would appear to me...
  10. shipdriver

Need help with listening space setup

I always thought Maggies were very directional with a narrow sweet spot meaning side wall distance wouldn't be as big of a deal which to me points to the short wall as the appropriate front wall behind the speakers. Being dipoles, distance to the front wall would be much more important I would...
  11. shipdriver

Hdcd vs vinyl?

It's been a long time since I owned a player that couldn't decode HDCD. Denon CDR-W1500 (circa 2002)- yes Denon DVD-9000 (circa 2002)- yes Oppo BDP-103D (circa 2013)- yes Edit: I take that back, I had a Xindak SCD-2 (circa 2004) for a while that didn't decode HDCD.
  12. shipdriver

Hdcd vs vinyl?

I don't think Microsoft had any bearing other than the fact that they backed a non-winner. The differences with HDCD are very subtle and when hi-res formats came out, it couldn't compete on a sound quality level. Regular consumers didn't want it (look at red book sales now) and audiophiles went...
  13. shipdriver

Dave Brubeck Quartet "At Carnegie Hall"

Does anyone know if the Speaker's Corner re-issue maintains the original LP's channel swap?
  14. shipdriver

Dave Brubeck Quartet "At Carnegie Hall"

I had to check all of my turntable connections after listening to the LP (the original, not the re-issue) because I had listened to the CD a few hours earlier and came to the realization that the left/right channels seem to be flipped between the two versions. Weird. On the CD, Dave is on the...
  15. shipdriver

Odd and Possibly Crazy Audio/Video Connection Question

I can't believe I'm enabling this kind of behavior, but get a Blu-ray player that has HDMI (to bitstream audio to a 7.1 receiver) and S-Video output (to send the low quality picture to the dino TV). I looked at the back of my player and it has no analog video connections at all (ha!), but they...
  16. shipdriver

movies and intelligibility

Those 2 speakers over the display: have you tried disconnecting one of them?
  17. shipdriver

The panels are re-cycled from the ones that were already there. As far the difference goes, I could move my head forward and backward an the room and tell immediately a sudden change in the stereo image for the better when the first reflection point went behind the panel. This room is so narrow...
  18. shipdriver

Some new changes. I took the 'first reflection' panels off the wall and made stands for them so I can tweak speaker and seating positions more....and the SVS SB-12NSD subwoofer came in today! Cheers! SMedia Room 001 by shipdriver, on Flickr SMedia Room 002 by shipdriver, on Flickr...
  19. shipdriver

GM Shuttering Australian Manufacturing by End of 2017

It is sad to see people losing their jobs, but Australia is a very small country to have so many country-specific models. Can you imagine if Canada (which has a larger population than Australia) had a slew of local models? That wouldn't be very profitable, either. Does Holden exist to support...
  20. shipdriver

New ZL1

By all means, have too much fun! :D Best things to me about the ZL1? Acres of tire tread (i.e. huge contact patch) and that ZR1 magnetic suspension.
  21. shipdriver

"First reflection"...what it means, why it's important, how to find it

I can see how that would change the amplitude, but to assuage my own curiosity, the actual reflection point would remain the same, correct? Do you forgo the mirror technique with different dispersion types and have to figure out a different 1st reflection point location in a different way?
  22. shipdriver

Lincoln wants 2015 Mustang components for a new RWD sedan

As a Lincoln Cougar? Or a Ford Cougar? :) BTW, love the '67-70 Cougars. Cue Herb Alpert and the TJB "The Work Song", please.
  23. shipdriver

Room acoustics, which way will it sound best?

I like the mounting spacers using PVC pipe idea. I wish I had a bigger room to implement something like that. It definitely would enhance the effectiveness of the panels. Tuning the room so as not to need a sub (speaker placement plays the big part in this) has definite utility for non-EQ'd...
  24. shipdriver

Room acoustics, which way will it sound best?

I agree on the need for absorption and the proposed locations. However, I think some active sub EQ is much easier to implement, more space conserving and potentially cheaper, depending on the quality of subs purchased, than multiple subs. It makes the upgrade path much easier too. Instead of...
  25. shipdriver

Vinyl Collecting

I generally fell into the #2 category from the moment I re-entered vinyl four years ago. In fact, if I can and it's affordable I will seek out sealed copies. A lot of what I target are records that I had in my youth and then the remaining focus is mainly on specific time periods, artists and...
Back
Top Bottom