Search results

1. F

Possible to "A/B" cartridges or styli ?

I agree with Samosui’s solution and have used it also. The digital recording solution would work as well, but the very act of recording will slightly alter the original sound, The problem with switching cartridges on the same TT is that our audio memories quickly get fuzzy, so time and any...
  2. F

Infinity SSW-210 question

Edwards Electronics in Mesa AZ repairs them. I’ve sent them several and been very happy. (You only need to send in the plate amp portion which can easily be removed from the box; nonetheless, shipping is pretty steep due to weight). I like these subs a lot. Though they don’t really go as low...
  3. F

The Infinity FET Preamplifier - A Review of Classic Technology - Pride of Ownership

I could find very little useful info on the headphone section beyond its touted high output (with particular conditions not revealed). Go ahead and try it at low volume. I doubt you’ll blow the cicuit if you start low and increase the volume slowly. I've used mine with a variety of...
  4. F

HH Scott 342-C: Why do Scotts seem to get overlooked?

Overlooked, but solid stuff. My first amp was a Scott 255s. Not fashionable even in the mid 70s, but worked well, sounded good, and lasted until I upgraded and sold it to my roomie. I had such fond memories that I ended up buying an identical one a few years ago. Still going strong, though...
  5. F

Infinity "Blue Face" Preamp Circa 1978-79? Help

I have a red-faced model, which my tech completely restored electronically (and I retored cosmetically) for me a couple of years ago. I have never seen a user manual, and most of what is touted as such is actually an original advertising flyer or copy thereof. The headphone output is stated to...
  6. F

Looking for a Houston area shop that's worthwhile

Try Save-On Sound on Antoine. The owner and tech is a nice guy named Tom or Tham (he's Vietnamese-American). I've had very good repair experiences with him. He charges $30 up front, which is folded into repair costs if he can effect a repair and if you want to go forward. I've found his rates...
  7. F

SSW-212 schematic or service manual?

Edwards Electronics in Mesa, AZ (google search) repairs these for a reasonable price. I've had them redo a SSW-212 and 4 x 210s and been happy with the work. You only send in the amp, not the entire speaker.
  8. F

Possible Cure for Collapsed Stylus Suspension

Update on Astatic MF100. After about a month, the suspension got droopy again. I re-applied the WD-40 and stented the cantilever to overcompensate for the droop. After 24 hours, back to normal operation. Not sure how often it will need the treatment, but it seems to sucking up the WD-40 as I...
  9. F

My moment of digital-to-analog conversion. Remember yours?

Jim said, "A really bad vinyl LP in horrible condition is torturous to listen to. Digital never gets THAT bad." The first part is true, but the music data is largely still present - with a lot of noise. When you mess up your CD or digital copy, it doesn't sound bad. It just doesn't play, or...
  10. F

You'll understand when you get the cartridge and look at it - there is a small "plate" protruding circumferentially from the cantilever in front of where one would expect the rubber damper to be, but it doesn't extend all the way to the edges of the holder (can't, or it would prevent the entire...
  11. F

I haven't listened enough to make a pronouncement about sound quality yet (have only directly compared to a NOS AKG P25s,) but I' m definitely not disappointed. Because of the way the stylus/suspension is made (Google the cartridge, look at the pics, there are several showing the construction)...
  12. F

Another data point: currently a Japanese seller is listing NOS Astatic MF-100 cartridges one at a time, described as "defect" on the 'Bay. The translated description says it will only track at a considerably lighter weight than recommended. Sounded like a bad suspension to me, so I took the...
  13. F

MY FIRST HIGH END preamp Threshold FET 10HL

I've owned a 10HL and 10PC since about 1990 and still love them. I think Threshold (and other Pass gear) represent sonic "end points". There may be better stuff available as time goes by, but unless I had really large amounts of money and time, I don't think I could get that much more...
  14. F

What was your college system?

Started at The University of Texas in 1975 with: Scott 255s integrated amp, Philips GA-212 turntable, Sherwood S-2400 tuner, Akai CS-34 cassette ( which was sold my freshman year) and Dynaco A-40XL speakers. By my Junior year, the amp had been replaced by a LECSON AC1/AP1 combo and the...
  15. F

Y / wye splitting of turntable signal phono level

Sticky situation, as others have noted. When faced with a similar problem (real time cartridge comparisons), I ended up with 2 identical turntables/arms fed separately to identical phono preamps into high level inputs. It's a bit of a bother and may not be easily accomplished without a bit of...
  16. F

Techmoan Explores the early 80's fad of DBX Disk encoding (Youtube)

Yes, the dbx discs were a huge improvement to vinyl, mostly in that the compression/expansion system allowed for a very large dynamic range (near CD - about 95 dB as I recall) and a really quiet background. The downsides were that they were introduced about the same time as CD, which quickly...
  17. F

Opera on FM = Uncanny Imaging

I think the excellent imaging of the singers probably indicates a great recording. If you ever get the urge, go to a real live opera performance. As an audio nerd, I find the analysis of the sound field very interesting. In real time ( if you have decent seats not too far back or to the sides)...
  18. F

Problem with new Emotiva XPS-1 TT pre-amp: it thumps at ~ 1 sec intervals when I lift the needle

Yes, thanks. Re-arrangement seems to have cleared things up. I like the pre, but this is an unfortunate design problem which needs to be addressed by Emotiva.
  19. F

What's your latest audio purchase?

Just bought 2 directions in time: a used Shinon Red Boron MC cartridge from the past and a Sony NW-ZX2 for the future (time to move forward from iPod!) Both should arrive this week.
  20. F

Attempt at bringing back a Sony PS-8750

Fabulous table! Congrats on the restoration.
  21. F

Cartridge Transpareny?

You're really jumping in with both feet, yes? Great questions, but slow down. The bottom line is that in the realm of transducers, EVERYTHING matters. The final sound from a turntable is the combination of the sounds imparted by the table, the tonearm, and the cartridge - each alone and as a...
  22. F

Scored! Luxman PX-101 Linear Turntable!

I have one - as a back-up/secondary turntable. I like it, but don't think it's the equal of my better regular (belt drive) turntables. It does seem a bit flimsy and I keep meaning to add some damping to the plinth to try to control the obvious resonances. Nonetheless, with a new arm belt, it...
  23. F

Problem with new Emotiva XPS-1 TT pre-amp: it thumps at ~ 1 sec intervals when I lift the needle

You're not alone Dadonred. Mine does the same thing, but I can't figure any pattern to it, except that - when it occurs, it invariably is in a "no-signal" condition. If I unplug the RCAs and then plug them back in, the pulsing goes away (only to return at some unknown time in the future.) Like...
  24. F

Vintage Infinity Servo Subwoofer vs modern

I wholeheartedly agree with Tedrick. I'm using a pair of the 210s with my bedroom system with Audiostatic 100s, and a pair of the 212s with the main system (with Apogee Duetta Sigs atop them.) I bought a pair of Kinergetics to try with the Apogees, but haven't had time to compare. 2 of mine...
  25. F

Infinity ssw 10 active subwoofer

I have several sets of these (both ssw-210s and ssw-212s.) They are getting long in the tooth, but still serviceable. I've had several go "bad" - always the amp board. There are a couple of places (Edwards Electronics and Electrotecnix,) which list on eBay and repair these and other subs with...
Back
Top Bottom