Search results

1. A

"A Project To Measure Groove Friction; Last Record Preservative's Effectiveness.

Efficacy with vinyl is one thing, but, more importantly, what does it smell like?
  2. A

Best Phono Stage Preamp Under $500?

Deleted
  3. A

Deleted
  4. A

Time to compare carts !

I'd be expecting the Shures to have the same take on the sound, with the difference being in detail.
  5. A

Convince me on a MC cart

Strange, isn't it? I have the Denon DL103 on my bog standard SL1200, albeit with an Ortofon headshell, and it sounds like magic, just as the AT95E does on my Thorens. I don't know much about Well Tempered, but I'm guessing the arm is totally wrong for the DL103. It's really good VFM, providing...
  6. A

Deleted
  7. A

comparisons of DL-110 and Stanton 681

Unfortunately the problem is that all assessment depends on the rest of the system, particularly the turntable, arm and speakers. Given the OP's amplifier and speakers, I'd think the Denon may not be a good match, because that Yamaha amp is a touch forward, as is the Klipsch treble. I'd think...
  8. A

Recommend me a cartridge

I run an AT95E on my Thorens/RB300 in preference to cartridges costing a lot more. The AT120E to my ears sounds a lot brighter. I'd go with the upgraded AT95E myself. I'm under the (possibly wrong) impression that your Sansui turntable is roughly Technics SL1300 standard, being a good deck in...
  9. A

I have re-evaluated the M97xE @ 47k

Have to say the lack of ear fatigue has a lot to do with your speakers. SF have always been on the slightly warmer side of neutral - or, rather, they buck the trend of fast, lean, tight, detailed, fatiguing sound currently so popular!
  10. A

Waiting...waiting...waiting.

High output MC? There's the Denon DL110. alternatively try the HE variant of the AT95
  11. A

Vintage AR XA vs new Rega RP1?

You might want to consider the Thorens 150/160 series, too. They're probably a class above the AR turntables and much better than the budget Regas, but note the TD150s may need to be re-armed. There's also the British suspended turntables, if you can find them at decent prices.
  12. A

Judging from the planar 2s and 3s, they'll be one hell of a lot still running in 50 years, and still fetching good prices. Who is comparing them with Bentley's and Rolls Royces? I think you misunderstood the post.
  13. A

Nothing wrong with Rega, don't believe some of the rubbish you read here! That said, I'd go for the RP3 or the P3-24 if you can find it. The RP1 is strictly budget, but around the RP3 level Regas are seriously good. Unlike most other manufacturers, Rega have been around for a long time, so they...
  14. A

I think you mean Pro-ject, not Rega! Neither the Pro-jects nor the Rega require much if anything in the way of maintenance, by the way. Very much set and forget. I lived with the Aussie equivalent of the Mayware for a couple of years. Sound quality good, but they re-define the word...
  15. A

Off topic I know, but that's more or less what I found was the difference between the Linn and the Rega, albeit on a Thorens, with the Rega adding greater depth and space. Both with the humble AT95E.
  16. A

Have you done a side by side comparison, marcmoric. I'm a big fan of Rega arms, if not their turntables, but I'd think you'd have to spend quite a bit of time and effort getting the AR arm to sound as good. Not a fan of AR arms, by the way. The turntable, with another arm such as a Linn or a...
  17. A

Fair enough. I haven't heard either turntable side by side, but I'd think the Rega arm a lot better than the one on the AR.
  18. A

I wonder how many people have actually compared the turntables in question? If they haven't, then their comments are questionable.
  19. A

Special considerations for 180 gram vinyl?

Surely all LPs are by definition audiophile, not just ones that happen to be a bit thicker.
  20. A

Okay - so what should VTF really be

It is. I always set at the heavier end and forget.
  21. A

Somewhere along the line you have to factor in arm characteristics. Not all arms track particularly well, so the heavier end of the range is usually a safe bet. It's amazing what damage too light a tracking force can do over the difficult bits. I'd also add that some records, and I'm thinking...
  22. A

"A Project To Measure Groove Friction; Last Record Preservative's Effectiveness.

So, markD, you are now not using last or similar compounds on your records and stylus? Excellent, good on yer!
  23. A

MC cartridge for Technics 1200

The DL103 is on mine, but, as noted elsewhere, it benefits from a heavier headshell. Works well, by the way. @Daunia 70 is that the MC10 super? I have an old one I duf out with the intention of trying. Didn't like it the the AR - maybe it suits the SL1200 better.
  24. A

Which, Mark, is where the test record come in, QED!
  25. A

Well I'm <expletive deleted>

Deleted
Back
Top Bottom