Search results

1. watercourse

Any Portland Oregon clubs?

I'm in PDX too, but will be on the road for a side gig on May 7th. Glad there's some folks getting something together, I'll check back again and see if there are other dates.
  2. watercourse

Your Last Concert (or two)

Kamasi Washington at the Roseland Ballroom
  3. watercourse

Black Messiah by D'Angelo -- PRIME vinyl quality!

His vocals were mixed intentionally to be more in the background than his previous albums. ?uestlove talks about this quite a bit, that it was D's choice (despite ?uestlove's thoughts about it). It's different for sure, esp. to those who want to hear his multitracked harmonizing as usual, but so...
  4. watercourse

Black Messiah by D'Angelo -- PRIME vinyl quality!

Mine definitely sounds great, and better than most of my new releases. Even the super fussy ones, i.e. Lazaretto, Beatles stereo German pressings.
  5. watercourse

A DIY Linear Tracking Liquid Bath Tone Arm

I know at least one other person that's made one, and he thinks it's the best arm he has. I interacted with Henk quite a bit when he was designing it, but I never got around to making one up and experimenting. I agree it has promise, and from the video, there are no obvious tracking issues to be...
  6. watercourse

Strange liquid falling from the sky in N. Cali

Keep it coming! The creeks and vegetation are thirsty! We just squeaked by here with the storm system in early Feb to get a last-ditch Coho spawning season, which usually ends around early January. This is very very good for this endangered population, and some evenly distributed rain through...
  7. watercourse

Yo Yo Ma

Agreed, seeing Yo Yo was one of the highlights in my 25-year concert experience! He is clearly one of the enlightened ones, and his spirit does travel through an entire concert hall, and even through electronic media.
  8. watercourse

The Well Tempered Simplex...Pretty Simple

So I take it you didn't hear any difference? Re: tiny piece of metal influencing sound - think about cantilever materials (aluminum vs. boron vs. carbon fiber vs. cactus needles) as an example of how metals affect sound. Either way, as you say, YMMV. Edit: please read the above post as...
  9. watercourse

Experimenting with Simplex and Shelter 501

andyecon: probably have enough adjustability to reach Stephenson, but the "standard" alignments don't have the fullness in sound of either the 19 deg alignment, or my modified alignment. In other words: distortion numbers only tell part of the story. If you look at the Firebaugh blog, which...
  10. watercourse

Removing the finger lift made the table just a touch more coherent. Nothing drastic. If you are asking why as in "what is the process that causes this?", I'm not sure, but guess it is likely mechanical impedance related, because there are two different materials with different physical...
  11. watercourse

brminpin: Yes, I have much more damping than "normal", just under 1/3 of the ball in the fluid, rather than just "kissing" the fluid, like with my other two carts. Well, maybe a bit more than just kissing... french kissing? bacobits: Does the ball kissing the fluid feel better to you too? Who...
  12. watercourse

Further thoughts for discussion Looking at the links to the VE model outputs I provided, One can see the minimal effect that mounting distance has on the overall distortion curve. Meaning, golf ball centering is not critical. Similarly, overhang has minimal impact on distortion...
  13. watercourse

Interesting! How many hours on that cart? The 10x5 was my first DV cart, still have good memories about it.
  14. watercourse

ScaleAutoArt: Are you saying you tried the 20 deg. alignment? If so, can you describe what were the differences from stock? And no compromises so far, like changes in IGD or OGD? Just in case my post wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting that the 19 deg alignment was wrong. Typically my philosophy...
  15. watercourse

$20,000 Marantz at home...

Awesome! I have a 42" Marantz plasma display, a free hand-me-down from my bro-in-law, who got a 60" Kuro to replace it. Thanks bro! The Kuro puts out some serious heat, but it lives up to its name ("black" in Japanese). Nice color saturation in the Marantz displays, my wife, who is an artist...
  16. watercourse

I am posting the outcome of my recent remounting of my Shelter 501 mkII cart, and what I've learned that has gotten me the best sound yet from this cart on my Simplex. WARNING: For those of you that believe that the only way to set up and align a cart on a WTL table is via the "approved"...
  17. watercourse

Same here, there's a spot where my hand can go underneath the arm, near the arm pillar. I use the side of my middle finger (imagine that), at the crook near the first knuckle, with my hand resting lightly on the plinth. If you use chopsticks correctly, it's the same fulcrum point (We all have to...
  18. watercourse

Scaleautoart: if you like the sound now, try it without the finger lift... More revealing IME.
  19. watercourse

I wouldn't bother, frankly. You've got it good here.
  20. watercourse

Good! That's what we're all aiming for. That's what I've got now. I didn't have it with the protractor-aligned Simplex, but the sound was a tad less full than the "approved" alignment. IGD may be due to stylus shape or cantilever skew, but apparently I have accounted for this with my Shelter...
  21. watercourse

I've got the $100 version.
  22. watercourse

Agreed, I think you're the one that convinced me to get one. Then again, it seems like it's consensus among WTL owners...
  23. watercourse

Oh, and I forgot to say that this the best I've heard this little table play, the depth of soundstage has never been as good, and the tone of instruments and voices are just amazing, without loss of the famous WTL liquidity, noise floor, and PRAT.
  24. watercourse

About cat hair and dust: no need to worry about it other than aesthetically - doesn't muck up the sound at all. So, I have to let you all know the outcome of my recent remounting of my Shelter 501 mkII cart, and what I've learned gets me the best sound. I originally used the one-point...
  25. watercourse

Scaleautoart: you're here too! AK's got friendlier people ;-) Nice table, congrats again. I just put a DV20XL on today, but then went back to the Benz as I seemed to be getting more distortion in the middle to inner grooves with both the DV and the Shelter 501. So I rotated thru all 3 of my...
Back
Top Bottom