Search results

1. belyin

"New" SONY DVP-S7000, What's Next?

I just got it recently, but I have no reason to doubt that it is all original--I got it from the goodwill auction site, not an "audiophile."
  2. belyin

"New" SONY DVP-S7000, What's Next?

Mine works like a charm, and the built in DAC is pretty good. I use mine with an Audio Note Kit 2.1 DAC, but the analog sound is nothing to sneeze at.
  3. belyin

Sony PS-X7. Worthwhile in 2024?

I have a PS-X5. I also have a PS-X70 which is the next generation iteration of the PS-7, and I feel it is a real step up from the earlier model. While the motor system are similar, the latter has a larger platter (and heavier) and a longer, better arm with on-the -fly VTA adjustment.
  4. belyin

What's your latest audio purchase?

I just received an Audio Note Kit Dac 2.1 --as best as I can determine it is the "c" variant which is essentially the old 3.1 kit dac with perhaps lower spec'd output transformers. Uses 5687 tubes like today's 4.1, not 6922 as used in the current 2.1. I have heard no other ANK dacs to compare it...
  5. belyin

Vinyl or Shellac?

I have had 78's break just from looking at them from across the room (or so it seemed.) I have seen white label d.j. copies of 78's pressed on vinyl (early 50's releases.)
  6. belyin

What's your latest audio purchase?

Ortofon CG25D (true monaural cartridge) and matching ST-M25 transformer. Together they sound like music--I"m happy.
  7. belyin

Death of CDs and Small Music Groups

I can't either, but for almost anyone under 40???? There is a huge generation gap in the ways people listen to music (and how they hear and process what they listen to.) I even know many musicians who have issued cd's who only have a player in their car . . . if that. I have never successfully...
  8. belyin

Denon DP80 & DP75 Owner's Thread

Thanks so much for the info. I have a Victor TT-101 that could really use this treatment. Now to see if I can rub out the corrosion . . .
  9. belyin

Denon DP80 & DP75 Owner's Thread

I am not familiar with the ceramic coating process, but I do have several corroded Japanese DD turntables. Is the coating difficult to apply? What it the process?
  10. belyin

Scott 299D For $520

Does anyone know if NOS Valves is still in business? Their website hasn't been updated in six years. I have a 299 that needs to be restored--any other recommendations?
  11. belyin

Old man record label rant

Fair enough, but even if you don't find it useful, someone might. I know many community radio d.j.'s and having the info at hand is useful to (some) of them as they are throwing cd's into the players.
  12. belyin

Old man record label rant

Very annoying--almost as bad as cd's with no identification on the disc. But as someone who has produced 8 cd's, I can say that dealing with graphic designers was the most trying part of the experience. Very hard to find one that understands the value of verbal information, but I insisted that...
  13. belyin

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Having purchased items from the Goodwill auction (but not a turntable and very valuable tonearm!) I have little confidence in their ability/willingness to pack it properly. I hope whoever bought it receives it in good shape.
  14. belyin

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I was just outbid for this Technics SP10MKII (no power supply), Fidelity Research FR-66s tonearm, and Ortofon MC20 Special II. Probably just as well as I have far too many turntables and tonearms, but damn that tonearm alone is worth three times the final price--but only if everything arrives...
  15. belyin

Craigslist Sellers sell junk

It all depends--a friend bought two pairs of Snell speakers in great shape at a very nice price recently. During the pandemic lockdown, I bought a JVC TT-101 in a two arm plinth with a SAEC and a Audiocraft tonearm. on Craigslist--more out of boredom than need or even desire, and perhaps out of...
  16. belyin

Hmm, Jensen didn’t market guitar amps so what would these go to?

Probably portable speakers for a d.j. or square dance rig.
  17. belyin

Philips CD650 analog output issue

Look for a Magnavox cdp-650 service manual—same machine.
  18. belyin

Record stores selling USED records... What should we expect?

I think it is important to recognize that there are several different markets for lp's, and the audiophile market (despite all the hype for remastered stuff at mainstream stores) is not large--and probably too much of a pain-in-the-butt for most to deal with. Back when there was very little...
  19. belyin

How many Turntables do you have active at the same time?

I have far too many turntables, but only one running at the moment. For those using a vertical array, what do you find to be the minimum height between tables?
  20. belyin

EV 12TRXB vs SP-12 + T35. I have questions.

The 12TRXB combines the SP12B with the T35B tweeter. The "b" variants have smaller magnets--the SP!2 weighs more than the twice the SP12B. Don't know how this plays out in the Aristocrat cabinets.
  21. belyin

Marantz 20B scope help

Yes. The problem turned out to be the winding of the power transformer for the high voltage needed by the scope board (apparently a common failure mode.) I purchased a small supplemental toroidal transformer from AK member tonebells that he had made exactly for this purpose. My tech was able to...
  22. belyin

Audio Technics Stylus choice

I am preparing to give a friend a Sony PS-X5 turntable, and the two surplus cartridges I can offer (both missing styli) are the AT-10S (not, as I found out the hard way, from the AT10/11/12 family but rather from the AT70 family) or the AT90 T4P cartridge (with an adapter.) Voice-of-Music offers...
  23. belyin

Looking for guidance regarding choosing miniDSP unit

I used an old MiniDSP unit for about 10 years before it crapped out on my JBL 4648 bins crossed at 160hz (with Iris 150 horns.) You can use it in your signal train just like the Ashley crossover--i.e., between the preamp out and the sub amps. I've thought about getting another (presumably...
  24. belyin

Can anyone help me identity and value.

Plenty of Rohde Schwarz tv equipment on offer on eBay--some of it even sells occasionally!
  25. belyin

What tickets are in your pocket? (What's the next concert you are headed to?)

I plan to hear Tuareg guitarist Bombino this Saturday in New Orleans, with cajun futurist musician Louis Michot opening (and no doubt joining in as they recently recorded together.) And then I head to Chicago for the Instigation and Hyde Park Jazz Festivals next week.
Back
Top Bottom