Search results

1. T

Sansui Serial Number Database Update

Nice, you can add, G-5070, 829090285, thermocouple
  2. T

Tuner working only upside down

Full of bad music A sure sign that the bmh (bad music hopper) is full. They can be hard to trace, but often look like a adjustable signal transformer. They don't normally fill up, so they are soldered in place. I think you will need a soldering pencil. Good luck
  3. T

Anyone have experience molding/casting parts???

I wonder how long until we start looking at rapid prototyping for these fixes? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_prototyping
  4. T

Did your Parents Music shape your Tastes?

Sigh, not many others growing up to Polka music. Nope I am not listening to it now.
  5. T

Walked into my local Best Buy/Magnolia store today.

When I was growing up Magnolia Hifi always had a good reputation. This was in Puget Sound. I am not seeing much love from other areas of the country. It is to bad they have lost their way.
  6. T

Repairing lifted traces with nail varnish?

Hmm, and I have been using superglue. I am game to try something better.
  7. T

Cleaning dust off the top of filter caps and other odd behavior

Count me in the crowd of "openers". I remember very poor luck getting clocks back together as a kid. :( Later my Mom could almost always depend on me to fix what ever was broken. Now as a researcher I am still trying to understand why the world works the way it does. Some of the tools I get to...
  8. T

Sx 950 Output Problem! (Unusual)

I'd turn it all the way down, and try any good RCA cable I had laying around just to check (and listen to some music). I have heard of people making their own jumpers out of welding wire. (But that's for later.)
  9. T

Cleaning amp that has been 'smoked'?

Don't I remember a Marantz ad where the receiver had been through a fire and worked fine.
  10. T

Marantz 2220B Thermal Compound

I would use a "white" thermal compound for audio applications. The Arctic silver compounds can be conductive, and while the mica insulator should, I wouldn't take the chance. I get mine at R.S. (ButI do use Arctic Silver in my computers.) As far as reuse of the insulators, if you are sure you...
  11. T

Vaiac - the westend way!

Nice! Nice, note the external fuse, medical grade outlet, removable (replaceable) cord, and a nice solid case!:yes:
  12. T

Circuit humor

No, you missed the indication. The kilometer is on the bottom :) kxcd is my favorite online cartoon. Well worth reading.
  13. T

Variac choice

Three Powerstats, which would you use. I have access to three Powerstats (see picture), a 7.5 amp, a 10 amp, and a larger one. It sounds like for most uses the 7.5 amp is fine, but for larger amps I should be using the larger one. Have I got that right? :scratch2: It is kind of a pain to...
  14. T

Help needed: Is this cap fried?

Boy that bowing on the top is a bad sign. The white stuff at the bottom might just be old glue. I would replace the caps, clean the switch and pots with contact cleaner and check again. They are probably the power supply caps, so I wouldn't go to expensive audio-grade, but a good name brand...
  15. T

Needle Doctor

I was in a couple of years ago (so it has moved?) Very helpful.:thmbsp:
  16. T

AudioKarma History

How about number of posts per day It would be interesting to know how the rate of posts is changing. Stay away for a couple days and look at all the new posts.:banana:
  17. T

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO The AU-9500 arrives safe and sound!!!!

Wow reading through this and the purchase threads has left me with a big smile on my face. What a fine amp! The only question is where does he go from here? Sure he can get the matching tuner, but it "sounds" like it will take something amazing to replace the Au-9500 :)
  18. T

Vintage Sylvania SS Receiver- cooler than I figured...

Made in USA The Philips AH 7871 family was made here in the United States. I have a AH 7861 that sound pretty good. (It has a issue with the stereo tuning light and I am too cheap to buy a manual :( )
  19. T

Who loves burgers!

Another good one is The Chuckbox which is in Tempe AZ. Cooked over real wood. http://www.thechuckbox.com/index.html We just got a 5 guys near us and it sure beats the typical McD's.
  20. T

Internet Radio,what do you listen to ?

If you like old rock, here is a vote for KZOK HD2 stream. http://kzok.radio.com/ (I don't care for their normal stream.)
  21. T

5000 Bias Diode and Transistor - need Tech help!!

Nicely done. As far as the corrosion, who knows maybe the assembler put a leg of each transistor in her mouth as she was putting it together. Really had to know with out being there when it was built. Again, nice work getting it going and giving a path for others with the F1040 boards.:music:
  22. T

what type of capacitor is this

Hmm, all my old mica caps have color in the circles. I guess the operative word is old. They just write the value on now.
  23. T

Sansui Forum

Another thanks to Kevin, I have been seeing his name pop up all over the Sansui forum since he got his first 7700, first asking and then lot and lots of suggestion for the rest of us with issues. Congratulations Keven!
  24. T

Anyone here a machinist, or know about steel types?

My turn. I think I would use a annealed D2 tool steel and then harden it. D2 hardens well, the Cr carbides are quite wear resistant, and has enough Cr that it will be fairly corrosion resistant.
  25. T

Electrolytic capacitors : Old vs New quality

A guess on NASA and Ta caps I may have to look deeper at this, but I am going to guess that NASA didn't, doesn't, like a "wet" cap when in a vacuum. At best the electrolyte could evaporate faster in a vacuum, thus changing the value. Worst, catastrophic failure. NASA doesn't like bad press. I...
Back
Top Bottom