Search results

1. aussiedan

Had a strangelove visit from the Doc today

Doc Strangelove as some may know has moved to Canberra, Australia. It seems our local culture has effected him and he went on walkabout. I discovered him wondering aimlessly at the train station in my town (Ballarat, Victoria, Australia). Looked like he was hungry so we went and had lunch and...
  2. aussiedan

Re cone for an EV EVX-155 in Mackinac area MI

A friend of mine recently blew the paper cones out of one of his subs. The drivers are Electro Voice EVX-155's. Can anyone recommend a reputable repairer in the area mentioned. I have advised him to get both sub drivers done (2 ch system) as the other is just as old. Unfortunately, being in...
  3. aussiedan

New member of the family, baby SX-1980

I was a happy boy today, scored an SX-1980. After chatting to a friend he informed me of his fathers passing. I was taken back at first, I remeber the pain of loosing my dad. Long story short, due to a bad situation with the will (contest) he was forced to get rid of his fathers old gear. I was...
  4. aussiedan

had a SPEC-tacular day!

I picked up a SPEC 1 and 4 today :banana: The Spec 1 is in fine working condition, no apparent issues, but the Spec 4 has bad output transistors, so I'm told. I got them for what I thought was a reasonable price, the spec 1 was advertised at $750, he then offered me the spec 4 for another $250...
  5. aussiedan

Cart advice for a PL-30L II

Lovin this new (to me) turntable. I cant find much info on this TT, seems they were only released by Pioneer in Japan. Makes info hard to come by. It came with an Ortofon VMS 3 cart that seemed like it had done some work. I checked what I could on Vinal Engine, seems the Ortofon OMB 5 I had...
  6. aussiedan

Servicing a SX-1980

Hi guys, its been a while since I've dropped by. A few things have changed since then. Kids are older, finances have improved, life has settled down, now its time to get back to an old hobby:music:. I've never been great at tech stuff, I've revived a few entry level units but nothing to write...
  7. aussiedan

Opinions on Pioneer PL-30L??

What are these turntables like to own? I know there is a bit of a following for the PL-50's, hoping someone also knows the 30's as well. I'm looking at about the $700 price point, Can a better turntable be had for the money? The PL-30L I'm looking at also has a carbon arm and a shure cart...
  8. aussiedan

CS-955 info, if you have any?

I have an opportunity to possibly purchase some CS-955's. Very rare, or so the salesman would have me believe, but I think he's right. HPM-100's or 200's are rare as hens teeth here. I'm led to believe that these CS-955's would outperform HPM's, they are rated at 200 watts, IIRC. About 50kg...
  9. aussiedan

Speaker refoaming- not so hard

I just finnished my first speaker refoaming exercise. Don't know what I was worried about. Turned out easier than I expected. The worst bit was removing the old foam residue and prepping, anyone that has done it would probably agree. I did a pair of 10" Teak's and a pair of 12" Yamaha...
  10. aussiedan

DeoxIT gold question

Hi guys, been a while. While perusing the local electronics store, I noticed they had DeoxIT twin pack of DN5 (the stuff I wanted) and GN5 (bonus) for $1 more than a tin of DN5 alone. Whats a man to do? Well, I have a $1 can of DeoxIT gold, and I can't remember what its best for...
  11. aussiedan

Non-newtonian fluid on a speaker cone?

Hey guys, this is cool if you want a chuckle. Not something to do with your freshly re-conditioned speakers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zoTKXXNQIU&feature=related
  12. aussiedan

Speaker re-foaming.

I have read a few things on the topic, mostly here. I have watched a few you-tube tutorials. I'm about to dive in. Any tips? I have 2 sets of drivers I want to do. First is a pair of 10" Fostec's, I think, from some Teak boxs. These are the practice ones. Next will be a pair of 12"...
  13. aussiedan

One for the bottleheads- just got my 2nd Pioneer tube reciever

This ones for Pioneer the tube guys, I know your still out there... I just picked up my second SM-G204, this time the "B" (SM-G204B) The guy selling it had already plugged it in, so it had no soft start. I pugged it in, hooked it up, away she went. After a quick clean up and a little de-ox...
  14. aussiedan

I need some good ideas

I have a little Standard Telephones and Cables stereo tube amp. It begun life with me getting pulled from a console. It has been getting a good run and it has found a place in my stack, lacks a little bass, but it compliments my bass heavy Pioneer very well. Now its earnt a place, its time...
  15. aussiedan

Its true. You can cook on a tube amp. At least a mouse.

After noticing a bad smell in the office where my system is, an investigation enshewed. Using nasal locating equipment, the source was soon found to be coming from the area of the tube amp. Oh no! how can this be, I ask myself. The office is in the workshop, so no big surprise to find the...
  16. aussiedan

Garrard model 210 stylus.

Hi guys, I was lucky enough to save an old console from the dumpster a few weeks ago. The old girl bought it new, before her son was born. He's 50 now and helped me load it. Anyhow, its got a real nice Garrard 210 record changer. Surprise, surprise, the stylus is knackerd. Almost no left...
  17. aussiedan

Can anyone tell me about "Silcron" turntables. Possibly Aust. made

Just picked up a Silcron turntable. It's a rim drive. Got a pretty cool looking shape about it. Googled it but I only got more contemporary looking turntables, not like the one I scored, it has an angled front. It has an average Golding stylus, but it came with a nice Sansui lightweight...
  18. aussiedan

Should I buy this SX-1980?

I wouldn't normally ask (being an ad on an auction site), but it is a SX-1980. I havn't seen one of these for sale for about 2 years now (maybe I just dont get out enough). I'm super keen to go and get it. Its the model on the top of my wish list. The price seems about right, but the following...
  19. aussiedan

Legato link v's Pulseflow.

While not stricly vintage, I'm sure theres a few reading that also use Pioneer CD player/s is their systems. While others may love thier stable platters for their quality, some may like 6 disc cartridge's so they can go in the car stacker, I like my "file type" players for their conveinience...
  20. aussiedan

What to do with a stack of unwanted records?

I found 4 records for $10. Trouble was I had to take 2 crates and a heap of box sets. Most of them look quite playable, but I don't like them. All up I guess about 180 of them. I have seen them made into coffee coasters and fruit bowls, but I'm looking for a bit of inspiration. I'll probably...
  21. aussiedan

....Faint distortion near the end....? PL-A45D

I'm not sure what to do:scratch2:. At the later part of most 12" 33 1/3 rpm discs I seem to be hearing a faint distortion. At first, I put it down to dirty LP's, as most of my collection are thrift shop finds, but over time I have noticed it happening on impecable newer records I have found. It...
  22. aussiedan

My new to me CS-77A woofers sound really bad.

I have been looking for a pair of these for about a year now, or some CS-99's, but these showed up. Got the winning bid- yehaa! Drive 1.5 hours, pick up and home again. Somewhere in there I paid for them, just under 100 clams. The only problem was going to be the cabinet stains that were...
  23. aussiedan

My first blown tube. Man, this sucks.

:tears:I am sure I have blown an output tube in my Pioneer SM-G204. It's a 6GW8 or ECL86. 1 of 4. Knowing sweet nothing about tubes, I'm crapping myself. The pops from the right speaker nearly required a change of underwear. I'm guessing that the entire inside's of the tube shouldn't glow red...
  24. aussiedan

A brand new tube amp for under $100? - Nahhh...

Just thought I'd share some pics of a new tube amp (I bought one) that I found for $99.00. I had to look twice at the advert. Sounds pretty good so far. Has 2 x 6N1, 2 x 6P15's. Advertised as stereo valve hybrid amp 2 x 18WRMS. I havn't had it long enough to say much, other than it sounds...
  25. aussiedan

Shortwave for newb

Hi all, I have been reading a bit on shortwave, and it sounds like fun. I will admit to my complete nieavity on the topic. I know nothing other than there is some cool stuff interupted by religious stuff, apparently. I have a 1962 Pioneer SM-G204. I did not buy it for any shortwave...
Back
Top Bottom