Search results

1. W9TR

Back to the Future - Ohm F's refurbished

No, but is certainly easy to try. Right now I’m running the GBB4 fast blow fuses Ohm was recommending back in the day.
  2. W9TR

The perils of modern air travel.....?

I started flying in the mid '70's. It was nice. Then de-regulation hit in 1978. After that it was a race to the bottom. Deregulation reduced the cost of airfare and democratized the whole process so more people can bitch about the lousy experience.
  3. W9TR

What I know from personal experience with my original set of F’s is that Ohm had a problem with excessive cone excursion causing drivers to bottom out and fail. I’m guessing that by placing a resistive element (dense stuffing) close to the driver they were able to reduce this problem. It will...
  4. W9TR

I thought I’d resurrect this thread as I now have my 2nd pair of ‘Millerized’ Ohm F’s in the house and I think these are even better than the first! My son is interested in a pair and Bill Legall isn’t restoring very many of these drivers anymore due to the amount of time and painstaking care...
  5. W9TR

Mcintosh MC901

Elsie - I recommend Gold Lion reissue tubes for KT-88, 12AT7 and 12AX7A positions. There are more exotic options and I can cover those if you’d like. But the GL reissues are fine sounding tubes and still a good value. I didn’t know much about the 901 and after a bit of research it’s really a...
  6. W9TR

How Many Receivers Do you own?

The 4300V isn’t the best at any one thing but it’s a great ‘all rounder’ . Plus it’s small by comparison and easy to live with.
  7. W9TR

Troubleshooting electrons vs mechanical.

Dishwasher smelled hot then stopped drying the dishes. Element resistance checked out ok. Control board looked fine at first glance. Took it out of its carrier to inspect the back side and found discolored solder joints on the heater relay. Closer inspection revealed a slight shiny spot on the...
  8. W9TR

Landscape Lighting Wiring?

Landscape lighting is nominally 12 VAC. You can star and branch as desired. Landscape LED luminaires have rectifiers so polarity does not matter. Just make sure you run the control transformer within its ratings by adding up all the lighting loads.
  9. W9TR

Opinions on buying a used Oppo

I have a BDP-95 and a UDP-205. Both perform flawlessly. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase another one.
  10. W9TR

Need New Age Reccomendations

11. W9TR

Is dynamic range compression the reason for "warm" sounding LPs?

Vinyl has some physical limitations that mastering engineers must accommodate when cutting lacquer masters. Stereo bass is limited to manage vertical modulation depth and mistracking. The RIAA mastering curve calls for 75 usec pre-emphasis meaning that for equal amplitude in playback signals at...
  12. W9TR

Good Data Recovery Service?

I’ve found data recovery is generally not worth the effort. It’s like recovering a stolen car - sometimes it’s better if you never got it back. If you have all the core info in another format then it’s probably worth your time to backtrack and do the rework. If you’ve truly lost something...
  13. W9TR

BMW and Mercedes, never again.

My Toyotas and Lexi never died. Well except the RAV4 that was killed by a deer. I just got bored to death driving them and sold them.
  14. W9TR

Ohm Model L

John Strohbeen died earlier this year. He was the company, and the company was him. Ohm is looking for a buyer to take over operations.
  15. W9TR

Enter the Giant Slayer - Andrew Jones Pioneer Speakers

I’ve had a pair in a second system and would say they are a great value, very enjoyable to listen to over time. I truly believe these are the ‘good old days’ with great products like these available for not a lot of money, and streaming services bringing the world’s music to your home for less...
  16. W9TR

Audio Conglomerates : a list and how bad ?

McIntosh Group is now owned by Highlander Partners. They also own BIAMP Systems. And DelMonte, among others. :) McIntosh Group in turn owns: McIntosh Sonus Faber Sumiko Phono Cartridge Wadia Digital And these Distributors: Fine Sounds NA, UK, Benelux, sPa Which distribute the owned brands...
  17. W9TR

Multi can capacitor build McIntosh 6100

Hayseed Hamfest has the exact replacement capacitor you need. 80 mfd, 80 mfd, 150 mfd, 50 mfd. Looks like you did a really clean job of taking it apart so don’t need to buy another one. Good luck!
  18. W9TR

MR-78 Are Modiffari upgrades worth the addl prices on auction sites

MR 78 is the prettiest for sure. :)
  19. W9TR

I guess I haven’t either but I was hoping that he might. :) My MR 80 is running just fine, sounds a bit better to me than my MR 77 and does a better job of pulling in weak stations. I’ve borrowed an MR 85 and it is not as good sounding as the MR 80 so I guess I’ve found my personal sweet spot.
  20. W9TR

The Good Morning (Your First Logon for the Day) Thread

View I woke up to this morning.
  21. W9TR

I’ve owned three McIntosh tuners. MR 78 RM modded, MR 77 RM modded, and MR 80 stock. The MR 80 outperforms the 77 and 78 and of those two I preferred the sound of the 77 although its weak signal performance is not as good as the 78. So I sold the 78 for a very tidy sum and still own the MR 77...
  22. W9TR

Speaker Hum power issues - can the solution be as simple as a LiIon from REI? McIntosh MC451 (monoblocks), SonusFaber Amati G5s

With all that done I’d contact McIntosh and your dealer because you’ve probably got some bad 451’s. It’s unusual but it happens.
  23. W9TR

Speaker Hum power issues - can the solution be as simple as a LiIon from REI? McIntosh MC451 (monoblocks), SonusFaber Amati G5s

Before spending a bunch of money on an isolated power solution I’d try to find out where the hum is coming from. If you don’t find the root cause it is very likely it will not go away by using isolated power. Most home power is actually quite clean. Have you had an electrician check your mains...
  24. W9TR

tape recording or digital recording of vintage vinyl

If you enjoy managing tapes and maintaining tape machines then go for it. It’s a great hobby in and of itself. You have to consider the total cost of ownership in terms of blank tapes and deck maintenance. If you want archival performance and portability ripping your vinyl to 24/96 flac files...
Back
Top Bottom