Search results

1. akahn

No output from AR-5 tweeter

I pulled up some of the tape covering the tweeter wires. I saw the very fine wire that connects to a not-so-fine wire. Indeed, it looks like they are not attached. I taped it back down how it was. Unfortunately, on the other tweeter, I broke the wire's connection to its terminal when pulling...
  2. akahn

Thanks. How do I get to the pots to clean them? And the wire that I remember him taping down, is that one of the wires on the front of the speaker or is that inside somewhere? Thanks again for the help!
  3. akahn

Hi, I recently brought a set of AR-4 speakers back into rotation after having not listened to them in a while (several months, maybe a year). I connect them to my amp and put on some music. Woofer, check. Mid, check. Tweeter... nope. This was in both speakers. Last I played them, a while...
  4. akahn

Western Mass CL: Tandberg TR2045 Receiver $450

I offered him $150 and he countered with $200. If it's in real nice shape I guess it could be a reasonable price but unfortunately it's not in my budget. :/
  5. akahn

Western Mass CL: Tandberg TR2045 Receiver $450

Another one of these has popped up in WMass (or perhaps the same unit). http://westernmass.craigslist.org/ele/1115392116.html The asking price still seems a bit steep, though it seems to be in nice condition. Anyone know what a reasonable offer would be, without being insulting?
  6. akahn

Table Radio "Shootout" - Old Zenith vs. Tivoli One

tcdriver, what is the antenna you are using with your tivoli? I just got one as a hand-me-down and would like to improve its FM reception. But it lives in the kitchen so it has to be on the compact side!
  7. akahn

Blown Boston Acoustics A70: What to do?

Looks like I made a mistake--these A70s are the 6 ohm series I with paper cone woofers. So it's a no-go on those woofers. Thanks anyways.
  8. akahn

They are Series II. They blew out because we had a computer plugged in to the receiver with a Y cable, with the volume on the computer turned down, and the volume on the receiver turned way up. Then we switched to a different computer that had its volume turned up considerably higher, and it was...
  9. akahn

A few weekends ago, we had some people over to our house and one of my A70s was blown. Sad, it was a stupid mistake. Now I'm weighing my options on whether to/how to fix it. Right now, the woofer doesn't play at all, and the tweeter makes only a very small, tinny sound. I take this to mean that...
  10. akahn

I just got a Pioneer SA-9900 for free

So, it turns out that one channel works! :banana: Perhaps this is just a dirty pot issue... listening to X right now on it. Too bad a friend of mine recently blew out one of my Boston Acoustics A70s, which are the best set of speakers I own. :(
  11. akahn

I just got a Pioneer SA-9900 for free

Pretty beat up, left on a porch for who knows how long, but it turns on (power button is actually stuck in the on position, heh), and it seems like it might be repair-able. I'll be hanging on to this thing until I get some money together to take it to a shop. I'm just shocked I got this thing!!
  12. akahn

Entry level headphones: Grado SR-60 vs. AKG 240 Studio

It's time for some new headphones. Generally, it seems like the Grado SR-60 is the best buy, but I see a pair of AKG 240 Studio 'phones on craigslist for about the same price. I've also heard good things about AKG in general, but don't know anything about this particular model. Does anyone have...
  13. akahn

My dorm-room system

joelll, this is my second year in Webster in the Orchard Hill area. I see you live in Somerville. I grew up in Cambridge.
  14. akahn

My dorm-room system

I had the thing taped to the wall but it fell down. I'll have to put it up again. It's not the biggest deal, though, since the only radio station I listen to broadcasts from about 500 yards from here (UMass college radio).
  15. akahn

My dorm-room system

Coming soon: a big 'ol bottle of gin and a case of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. MRH, I'd have brought a Yamaha, but this guy is in tip-top shape and my Yamaha is only in working shape (and the other one is in not-working shape). When the repair tech saw this he told me that he had completely...
  16. akahn

My dorm-room system

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I read the LEDE article and I think I will give it a shot -- the article mentions that it's a more appropriate strategy for small rooms. I don't know about truly deadening the wall, but I'll at least put up some fabric.
  17. akahn

My dorm-room system

I'm back in college at University of Massachusetts Amherst. Here's a photo of my stereo system. It's a Sansui 9090 receiver, a Philips 312 turntable and Polk Monitor 5 JR+ speakers. And in the bottom left corner you can see one of three boxes of records. I was planning on bringing the Boston...
  18. akahn

A steal for someone in the Bay Area?

"great thumping sound." That reminds me of the speakers being shown off as "boomy." Anyways, they sure look nice.
  19. akahn

Yet Another Passing

Man, I heard this guy on the radio a couple weeks ago and I was blown away. Some of the best blues I've ever heard.
  20. akahn

Entry Level Turntable

I'm looking forward to when I can afford to take the plunge... that sounds really good.
  21. akahn

Empire Scientific, AE

That's exactly what sprang to my mind! I mean, just look at the badge.
  22. akahn

What do you have in your car?

I've got about the worst factory stereo ever. It's the plain old Subaru head unit and TWO speakers. That's right, this car didn't come with rear speakers. (Nor did it come with vanity mirrors, rear headrests, a release for the trunk, etc.)
  23. akahn

Entry Level Turntable

In that entry-level (as you've seen already, entry level can mean a number of things) Sumiko Pro-ject and Music Hall seem to be good choices. http://www.musichallaudio.com/mmf_products.asp?show=false http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/debut.htm If you do a search, there are...
  24. akahn

JozMo

A couple months ago, JozMo sold me a Yamaha CR-620, a Pioneer PL-12D and a pair of Boston Acoustics A70s. Good gear, good price, good guy! He gave some speaker cable and stands, too. :thmbsp: :)
  25. akahn

A thrift pair I just couldn't pass up

I guess I don't really have to worry about the gasket then. I suppose I'll put it on for show, though.
Back
Top Bottom