Search results

1. R

Champagne tastes but beer budget? Affordable Phono Preamp Shootout

The Setup Rega Elys 2 on a P3 table. All going through the same preamp, amplifier, and cables, speakers were Klipsch Reference (I believe, but am not 100% sure, these were the RF-7 II model). The setting was a listening room at my local, friendly stereo shop. The phono preamp contestants...
  2. R

Avanti Interconnects

I received a 3ft pair of Mike's unbalanced RCA interconnects. 3' cable length standard 1 meter (39") overall length Canare L4E6S Star Quad Neutrik gold connectors Color Coded Heat Shrink Directional cable design I've been listening to these ICs connected to my NAD 514 CD player going to a...
  3. R

Miles Davis' Prestige Recordings

Today I'm having a Miles Davis music day as I plow through piles of grading. This collection, "Miles Davis Chronicle--The Complete Prestige Recordings (1951-1956)" is fantastic. What I particular enjoy about this is that the tracks are presented more or less in chronological order. These are...
  4. R

my first Sansui receiver

Well, despite being on in years, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never owned a Sansui receiver until now. I recently obtained a 210 and am very impressed by it's tuner and sound quality. I believe the unit was recapped by the previous owner, so that may be part of it, but still, the tuner...
  5. R

hifitommy: an AK kind of guy

Just wanted to give a thumbs up and thanks to hifitommy for being such a kind person. He had posted about a magazine article that I was interested in but was unable to find in print (nothing online either except for subscribers). I dropped him a line inquiring about how I might get the...
  6. R

AT 12s or AT 3500e Cartridge

If you could choose one of these two carts with an ATS11E stylus (not the originals), which would you choose and why?
  7. R

AK's Secret Santa Tradition: Don't miss it!

AudioKarma has a Secret Santa tradition during the Holidays and it's lots of fun. Maybe you've heard about it but don't know if it's right for you ... or perhaps you missed it during a previous year and don't realize that it's going on RIGHT NOW. Don't miss it again ... It's not too late to...
  8. R

AK's Secret Santa Tradition: Don't miss it!

AudioKarma has a Secret Santa tradition during the Holidays and it's lots of fun. Maybe you've heard about it but don't know if it's right for you ... or perhaps you missed it during a previous year and don't realize that it's going on RIGHT NOW. Don't miss it again ... It's not too late to...
  9. R

Technics SL-Q2 vs. SL-D2 -- your thoughts, please

I've recently acquired a 'dream' turntable so I need to thin the herd of TTs here a bit to help offset the expense. I've got a few TTs that I know I can pass along, but I will keep a few of them some other systems, etc. Among ones I want to keep are either (but not both) a Technics SL-D2 or...
  10. R

Volume louder on one channel

Mitsubishi R-11: Volume louder on one channel I've got a Mitsubishi DA-R11 receiver that sometimes powers on correctly and has another problem that I am trying to diagnose and possibly repair. They may even be connected, but I simply don't know enough to determine that on my own. Here are the...
  11. R

Noodle is the real deal

Recently purchased a tuner from Jeremy -- aka "Noodle". Just wanted to thank him for a killer deal as well as good packing and great communication. The tuner was just as he described it and he was kind enough to also send along the Service Manual.
  12. R

Pioneer TX-9500 II

Today my new-to-me 9500 arrived. I have it in one of my systems now and have been listening to WAER. I like the sound very much! I don't know the correct term, but to me it sounds 'open' and balanced in terms of not too much bass or treble. Compared to an unmodded Yamaha T-85, the reception...
  13. R

Help me decide on some Carts/styli please -- P mounts

NOTE: I've edited this to correct an error in my original post -- my apologies and thanks! I've got a few cartridges (P-mount) needing styli and I'd like some suggestions advice for what replacements to get as well as what to keep. Will be keeping one and the others will go (with new styli)...
  14. R

Denon's 100th Anniversary

Folks, I heard about this on the tuner list, don't know if anyone here has posted already, but I hadn't seen it so I thought I'd share here http://www.denon100.com/#/en/products/intro Some nice looking stuff there :music:
  15. R

Sota Sapphire--Pics and Sonics

Ok guys ... sorry for the delay but it's been a busy day and I've been trying to listen to the Sota as much as I could :-)
  16. R

Sota Sapphire--impressions & experiences?

I don't know anything about these TTs, but there's a used one locally available used at a audio dealer and it looks beautiful .... I could tell just by the construction it's a nice TT. (pics below) I don't even know what arm is on this TT (it was black, curved into a gentle S-shape - maybe...
  17. R

Studio Standard Model 332

I've got one of these receivers -- it's a beast, i.e., very heavy -- but I can not find any information on it at all. It's made in Japan, and it's solid state ... any ideas where I can find out more about it? I've searched a bit and haven't found anything. TIA!
  18. R

C-4: Avionic'd and sounding oh so good!

Today I received my C-4 control amp (pre amp) that's been at Dave's (Avionic) getting a transplant. I am not 100% sure of what Dave did (the procedure was a recap), but I can say that this hot rodded C-4 sounds friggin' AWESOME :banana: :banana: :banana: Especially paired with a previously...
  19. R

Yamaha YP-B2 overhang

Hi folks, a buddy just picked up a Yamaha YP-B2 TT, and he's wondering what the correct overhang is. I looked around a bit online and could not find an owner's manual. I'm going to hunt around some more, but I thought I'd try here as well. TIA!
  20. R

anyone hear about the new Merrill-Williams TT?

Yesterday I was told about a new TT built by Merrill-Williams Audio. I don't have any further info, but it does look interesting. I bet I can't afford it either :sigh: . But it does look :smoke: This is the Real Turntable
  21. R

AR Subwoofer ID Please

Hello Folks: I was at the TS the other day and saw this AR subwoofer, but it has no model identifying info on it. What I do know is that when I tried to move it a bit, I realized how heavy it was. The driver itself is ~10'', I think it'd be called a 12'' driver if one measures including the...
  22. R

Pioneer PL-8 Headshell

Hello Folks, I've got a nice PL-8 that runs well (with a little help from my AK friends :thmbsp:). Indeed, it is such a nice TT, that I would like to get a 2nd headshell for it. The problem is that this model TT uses what seems to me an unusual headshell. It sort of looks like an ADC...
  23. R

For Patti Smith Fans

Hey Folks, Today on Democracy Now! Patti Smith spent some time with Amy Goodman discussing how she got her start, her take on the music business and other thoughts from her 'humanist' perspective. I thought I'd share a link here for those of you that may not know about Patti's visit to...
  24. R

saltwater is cool!

I just wanted to say that it is truly a pleasure to do a deal with Justin! He's an easy to deal with, stand up guy :thmbsp: Thanks Justin!
  25. R

TT cables other than Petras

I think I've read most of the threads here regarding DIY phono cables and I wanted to ask for some suggestions please. It seems the Petras are now mostly unobtainable (maybe except for ebay), and I'd like to buy some bulk cable to DIY about 8 TTs I have that need new connectors. I've got the...
Back
Top Bottom