Search results

1. J

New to me Technics SL-D2

Found a dirty but solid SL-D2 for $35.00 and grabbed it quick. Has no cover but otherwise appears good and turns quietly when powered up. I have a couple questions. What are some maintenance items I should do before putting it to use? What AT cartridge is this? Thanks!
  2. J

Old guy vs. New Tech

I have been listening to an iPod classic through an auxiliary cable in my car for many years. Recently, I switched to an old Samsung S3 phone running through some no-name bluetooth device from Best Buy into the same aux input. The question is that the S3 sounds much better on the exact same...
  3. J

AR-XA loses sound in one channel

I have been using an AR-XA for couple years and it has started dropping a channel after being played a bit. First thought cartridge, but ruled that out. Now thinking wiring in arm perhaps. What are some diagnostic procedures I can do to narrow down the problem? Thanks!
  4. J

Unequal volume in Left and Right Channels

I have a JVC VL-5 turntable that is quieter with weaker high frequencies in the left channel. I switched the leads on the amplifier to make sure it wasn't the amp and it passed that test. My next steps are to check the connections on the cartridge and try a different cartridge (the one I am...
  5. J

Problem with refoaming EV woofers

Had my first set back in refoaming speakers. I have done a set of BA A60's with no problems. Worked on a set of EV Interface 1 8 inch woofers today and one went great, but the other had a buzzing sound. So I tried to move the already glued on surround to center things better, but of course, I...
  6. J

EV refoam kit

I just purchased a pair of EV Interface 1 series 2 speakers that need new surrounds on the woofers as well as the foam surround and lenses for the tweeters. They already sound better to me than my Boston A-60s, but distort some due to the surround condition. Where is/are the best places to get...
  7. J

Cartridge and Stylus Decisions

I am seeking some help in what direction to go in cartridges and stylus options. My 2 functioning turntables (AR-XA and Pioneer PL-S40) are both using AT95e cartridges. I also have an AT125LC without a stylus, a Shure M44e, a Pickering XV-15 with a D750 stylus in unknown condition, and a...
  8. J

I am hooked now!

I had that moment yesterday when I really heard the stereo image and depth possibilities of audio equipment. In the past, my listening has usually been as background music on less than quality equipment. While my equipment is not top notch today, it is functioning very well. The AR-XA...
  9. J

Newbie help with A60 speakers

I am on the home stretch of finishing a pair of Boston Acoustics A60 Series II speakers. For those of you that have/had them, what were the sound qualities that you did or didn't like about them? What were the relative strengths and weaknesses? I am just getting into the critical listening...
  10. J

Which amp/receiver to rehabilitate?

I may rehab one of the following components and seeking opinions on which one I should do. Kenwood KA-4002 Fisher RS-2004a Pioneer SX-450 JVC VR-5505 The Pioneer has the most sentimental value, but the Kenwood will be the most versatile if I hook up two turntables. Thanks for your help!
  11. J

Frustrated with Speakers

I'm frustrated with speakers right now and seeking some help. I was listening to the Woody Herman Road Father album and noticed on headphones a triangle part that I hadn't been hearing on my speakers. Granted, I do not have expensive equipment, but I should be able to hear a part like that...
  12. J

Greetings from Kansas

Kind of new here, made a few posts and then found the introductions forum. Just got a music room going and checking gear to see which works and which doesn't. Right now the system is a Pioneer SX-450 that needs some TLC, AR XA turntable with AT95e cartridge, and Boston Acoustic VR950...
  13. J

Comparing Speakers

I was at Best Buy yesterday for a casual speaker listening exercise, mostly to hear the Pioneer BS-22, and came away with questions. After listening to a fair amount of Miles Davis on the various small bookshelf speakers, the Pioneer speakers ended up at the bottom of my list. The high...
  14. J

Old newbie needs tweeter help

Been cruising around this site for several weeks and decided to ask for some help on a problem that I am having. It may not be so much a problem as a learning opportunity. I have just recently set up a listening area and started trying to scrutinize the sounds coming out of the equipment...
  15. J

New room help

New guy here needing a little help. I am setting up a new room, nothing fancy, just basic equipment and ran into something last night that was new to me. I have a turntable on a large computer desk with thick felt between the desk and the floor. I set up two speakers (old ones that I just use...
Back
Top Bottom