Search results

1. soundboy

Looking for new integrated amp - advice/suggestions requested

I got a new A-S701 from Crutchfield less than a month ago for under $680.00. I suppose I go have gone with the A-S801 but its DAC section isn't exactly state of the end either.
  2. soundboy

New CD player? New DVD player? Fix Oppo?

Have you check with Oppo again? They are still servicing their players unless there are no part parts for your player.
  3. soundboy

What has happened to Sony's audio range?

In the US, Sony recently introduced a new line ES-Series home theater receivers. Highly regarded, I have heard. However, as the co-inventor of the CD and SACD formats, it doesn't offer even one single player. Even in Japan.
  4. soundboy

Best budget SACD player?

What that means is the the Oppo players do not have dedicated stereo analog outputs. Just set up the player to prioritize stereo SACD playback even when a multichannel SACD is inserted. The player will locate the separate stereo (or mono) DSD mix and begin play.
  5. soundboy

Sony UBP-X700: Plays SACD

Note that SACD can only be output via the HDMI output. In other words, you will need a receiver/pre-pro with a HDMI input that do DSD conversion to analog.
  6. soundboy

R.I.P. Carl Weathers.

After Carl Weathers' passing, the president of the Directors Guild of America issued a lengthy statement about the contributions of Mr. Weathers.... “Today we mourn the loss of a great hero to the DGA and the entertainment industry. The world may have seen Carl as an iconic actor, but here at...
  7. soundboy

New vs Old......I'm sold

The new Yamaha R-N800A network receiver is very similar to the A-S801 and offers room correction, pre-outs, AM/FM tuner, access to internet radio, etc. It's not that much more than the A-S801.
  8. soundboy

Sony SACD-capable Blu-Ray Players

Nowadays, a $300 HT receiver will be able to decode DSD via HDMI. Optical (Toslink) or coax digital were never an option.
  9. soundboy

SACD vs. XRCD

But I don't think there's a XRCD decoding chip. The CD layer of a hybrid SACD can be HDCD-encoded or be of Enhanced CD, meaning that it can carry live action video that's playable off of a computer. I have read that JVC rejected the idea of having XRCD as the CD compatible layer of a hybrid SACD.
  10. soundboy

CD Manufacturing Technology - Current State of the Art or Dead-end?

CDs still hold sway in streaming era in Japan https://asianews.network/cds-still-hold-sway-in-streaming-era-in-japan/
  11. soundboy

SACD vs. XRCD

I have read that JVC has cancelled its XRCD program and moved on to SACD. In fact, I have a couple of JVC's latest SACD waiting at my mailbox.
  12. soundboy

Need advice on listening to SACDs on a budget

HDMI version 1.2 and above supports the transmission of the DSD bitstream.
  13. soundboy

Air Supply, A Band that I never quite "got"

Attending my second Air Supply concert this coming Thursday.
  14. soundboy

Is SACD dead?

New Norah Jones album, Visions, will be available on SHM-SACD in Japan. Coming in Maech 2024. "In Japan there are THREE editions of this album: a standard SHM-CD, and SHM-SACD and an SHM-CD+DVD edition. It appears as if all three of these have a bonus track called ‘Can You Believe’. There is...
  15. soundboy

Is SACD dead?

Is there a site that posts new SACD releases? Unfortunately, no. If you're in the US, pop/rock titles are typically license for release on SACD via reissue labels such as Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, Intervention Records, etc. If you're on their mailing list, they will email you on...
  16. soundboy

Is SACD dead?

New CD/SACD player from Shanling, the SCD1.3. With virtual VU meters. US$1,300
  17. soundboy

Is SACD dead?

New Billy Joel SACD offering from Japan.... https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10151
  18. soundboy

Marantz DV8400 SACD Multichannel Output only L/R

If both of your SACDs are from Mobile Fidelity, then they are 2 channel, stereo hybrid SACDs. No multichannel DSD mix on them.
  19. soundboy

Radio Shack, Battery of the Month Club~!

Must be in the early 90s....I recorded radio dramas and hour long "Hearts of Space" programs off of the local public radio station using my Sony TC-K670 cassette deck (which I still own). I used a lot of cassette deck cleaning supplies.....the extra long Q-Tip's for cleaning tape heads, the...
  20. soundboy

What is “The Yamaha Sound”?

Yamaha's sound signature being discussed in this review of its $4,000 stereo receiver....
  21. soundboy

Is SACD dead?

I am hoping the Sammy Hagar / Van Halen albums get the SACD treatment as well.
  22. soundboy

It's the end of 2023....and Yamaha introducing new CD changer

I believe changers are more of an American thing....like pickup trucks.
  23. soundboy

It's the end of 2023....and Yamaha introducing new CD changer

Three of the five Yamaha players are also SACD players, although those have been in the line for years. Van Halen's debut album was released on SACD this week. Arcam and Rotel have introduced new CD players in recent months.
Back
Top Bottom