Search results

1. becketma

vintage speakers for voice and guitar type music

Vinage speakers Thank you for your time and suggestions. Unfortunately sitting still to listen doesn't seem to be a strong point. But who knows? If I can put together a very good sounding mono system maybe it will captivate her through one or two songs? Bob
  2. becketma

vintage speakers for voice and guitar type music

A new friend LOVES what I call pretty music, typically human voice a acoustic guitar. I never seen anyone so moved by music. the set up in any part of her house where she listens only has to be for mono. As long as I can gain access to the speaker internals I can replace caps and resistors...
  3. becketma

New 6L6s

I've purchased matched quads of the Russian mil surplus--love em. Bob
  4. becketma

Difference types of the same tubes?

12AX7 is a long and windy road. If you like to play around the road can be a lot of fun--an experiment every time you get a different 12AX7. Best from tucson Bob
  5. becketma

Name of the tool to bend resisters

BINGO!! That is it. Course, when I bought it, it was $15. Many thanks Bob
  6. becketma

Lead former Many thanks for all of the leads. The one I used to use was made out of black plastic; it had two teeth that were inserted in the PCB holes, two square legs that one formed the resister leads with; all on a handle--it looked like calipers. I think I bought it from a small audio...
  7. becketma

I had a tool that looked like a caliper to bend resisters to fit into the holes on PCBs. I don't remember it's name; I don't remember where I bought it? I tried looking it up on Mouser's site, but there are way too many tools to sort through. Best from Gorham ME Bob
  8. becketma

Canadian company making audio pots

Thanks for the info. The Audio site I'm looking for is A.A.? Audio something. Within that site is a section called "propeller-head". Best from Gorham maine Bob
  9. becketma

Canadian company making audio pots

I forgot their name and if Mouser, Allied, Digikey stock them. I don't have my notes about thermester values for use on 120 volts on old tube power supplies designed for 115. Well. I found that info on this site and the link to DigKey. Still need the name of the company in Canada...
  10. becketma

if you had to pick one tube amp..........

I love my Russian 6P3S-Es! I use them in HeathKit WM3 that I gutted and rebuilt. I used Mullard rectifiers and Sylvania 6SN7WGTs. I know a few people that love the HeathKit WM5s. The HeathKit WM4s are stereo versions of Wm3 monos. Best from Tucson Bob
  11. becketma

Radioshack Lifetime tubes

Yes. RS Lifetime tubes were gold plated. They bought them from the least expensive sources. It would be interesting to see how a local store will verify the tube should be replaced. In the mid 80s I looked at how much it cost to repair the old RS tube tester, the time it took to...
  12. becketma

Type of cable to use with FM antenna

The insertion loss of the balun depends upon how it was made. You should be able to find good ones via the internet. The same for high quality coax. It is easier to route coax from your attic to the basement. Best from tucson Bob
  13. becketma

What's a good way to clean FM1 face plates?

In the past I've run AN FM3 through the dishwasher. Everything cleaned up nicely; the lettering on the face plate wasn't altered. I'm also looking for suggestion on how to remove the spots on the chassis? Best from Tucson Bob
  14. becketma

Aren't antennas wonderful things?

W5DXP has a nice article on eHam, a shortened folded dipole with 450 ohm ladder line stub and a 1:1 current balun yielding 50 ohms. It should work fine as an FM antenna. Best from Tucson Bob, W7ETA
  15. becketma

As if I needed another project...

Run a scan on it.
  16. becketma

Dynaco FM Tuners Project

The first FM3 I played with I used Stokes PCBs for the caps and PEC. The second unit I played with I bought an IC board at radio Shack and made my own PECs and then installed the new power supply caps under the board. It took me a while to get the PECS correct. The first time I layed out...
  17. becketma

PP Trido connected 7581? using Eico ST-40

I have a couple of Scott 222s. One uses 7189 and the other 7581. In both of those units I love the E80CF as the signal splitter. I get the same results using that tube in my FM3 tuners. Best from Tucson Bob
  18. becketma

The ignorance is mine, not yours. Since I do not know what I'm doing, I must rely upon schematics, other people's work. The more I play around, the more tid bits and pieces of information I pick up. Thank you for bringing up the question. There isn't any reason why it has to be 7591...
  19. becketma

I checked out eBay for 12DW7s. There was a pair of RCA labeled ones, made by GE?, that went for $160. At $80 each, I'd rather buy 12AX7s or look for Valvo 6201. Best from Tucson Bob
  20. becketma

It's been a long day. It is 7591, For some reason, I always assume it should be 7581, Probably because of 5881s? The second 12DW7 uses the 12AU7 portion as the signal splitter. Best from Tucson Bob
  21. becketma

Anyone have a link to PP triode connected 7581 type integrated amp using common 9 pin audio tubes? I bought an Eico ST-40 using PP 7581 with 2 12DW7 a channel: http://www.triodeel.com/schindex.htm I don't have any experience with 12DW7 and would prefer using tubes I'm familiar with and have on...
  22. becketma

7189 Power Tube Alternatives...

Try E80CF in place of the 6U8. Only Valvo, Mullard and TFKN made them. I found some in eBay auctions that I paid $9 for. When I listened to the E80CF, I sold all of the ECF80s, and 6U8 types I had. I bought a quad of Siemens E84L. After listening to them for a few days, I began selling all...
  23. becketma

Heathkit AA151 and matching Tuner

With Heat Kits, it's a good idea to compare how they were build against the schematic. I had great FUN modifying one of those, and using modern components. I bypassed the 6AU6s and the phono section. After trying many different 6AN8s I discovered that the RCAs with white lettering sounded...
  24. becketma

7199 recommendations

Look at E80CF. I run them in my Scott 222s and Dynaco FM3s--an immediate improvement over the 6U8 types. Only Mullard, Valvo and TFKN made the gold pin ones. The Buy It Now prices on ebay are silly! Best from Tucson Bob
  25. becketma

Hoffman amps, suggestions for improvements?

I just picked up a pair of these amps and look forward this summer to following the path y'all have carved out on these cute little things. I don't think I have any EF86 hanging around, but I do have some E180F and E280Fs, maybe even some D3a? Best from Tucson Bob
Back
Top Bottom