Search results

1. bobbyonions

Heads up! HarmAn Kardon tube mono rig FREE facebook - Barre, VT

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3240678222839391/?hoisted=false&ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks Alas, too far for me to drive.
  2. bobbyonions

syntec s-220 arm cartridge/stylus recommendations please!

I have been hunting for a tonearm for my rek o kut b12gh and have decided to pick up a syntec s-220 new. I own several shure 91ed carts and I also have a low compliance shure m7d cart. Could anyone tell me which cart would be more suitable to this tonearm/rek o kut combo? I have been...
  3. bobbyonions

Rek-O-Kut B-12gh,.. keep or not to keep?

So I have this B-12 table in kind of rough shape with the Pabst motor. I have not tested it yet because I have not research how to wire this thing up. My problem is on one hand, I think it is super cool and would be a fun project, and on the other I have limited time and money to throw at it...
  4. bobbyonions

Concord 6V6 PP mono PA amp - ever seen this?

I found a $10 old mono PA amplifer at a yard sale. They said it's been in their attic forever. It uses 2 6V6, 1-5Y3, and 3 6sl7 tubes (2 preamp and 1 phase inverter I'm guessing?). The only badging on it is "Concord". No model or serial # anywhere. It has a nice gray hammer-tone...
  5. bobbyonions

Bartertown and Panjo explained?

Just paid my $25 to AK to renew my subscription. I know of bartertown but can someone explain the marketplace subforum and panjo? How does that work? It did not exist when I last was really active here. Also, can any moderaters tell me how long it will take before my status is update to...
  6. bobbyonions

someone else's ears

Do you ever wonder what another person hears? We argue about the best sound around here once in a while. It's almost as if we all assume the we each hear the same. That is likely a mistake that creates 99% of the debate-to-the-death matches we get ourselves into. I seem to be...
  7. bobbyonions

Ever had sauerkraut balls?

No it's not a medical condition. It's the best thing to come from NE Ohio (besides DEVO). My wife is from Akron, and she make these every New Year. Pork, sauerkraut, breaded and fried. Sounds gross, tastes great!! I guess the dish has German origins.
  8. bobbyonions

should buying produce be a gamble?

Today I cut into a mango and it was brown inside and had little fragrance. I didn't taste it. I cut into the second one we had and it was the same. I think maybe they were picked way too early and never ripened properly. Mangos are not cheap, so I'd really like to get a refund. I was...
  9. bobbyonions

anyone had bad can caps from CE manufacturing?

I put some new CE can caps in the power supply of my tube amp less than two years ago and one section is starting to hum already. Has anyone heard of problems with CE manufacturing multi-section cans lately? I'd like to know if this is a common problem before using them again. Thanks.
  10. bobbyonions

Help with Voice of Music pilot lamp please

I have 2 Voice of Music integrated amps with burnt pilot lights. They are miniature lamps with wire leads (no sockets). The parts list does not give specs on the lamps. On the schematic, you can see the lamp is powered off the heater string with a 10ohm resister right before it. Can anyone...
  11. bobbyonions

why can't you short speaker wires with your fingers?

I know, this is probably a dumb question, but how come when I touch the positive and negative speaker outputs on an amp for a given channel does it not short out? I'm guessing if my fingers were wet it might? Something to do with voltage or current or...?? This stupid mind wants to...
  12. bobbyonions

AC wall wart power supply question

I have a turntable that I need to get a class 2 wall wart for. It specs: Umax 16V AC output Imin 150 mA I see plenty of used 16V available, but most are rated a lot higher in mA. Is it ok to use one rated higher in mA?? Thanks, BO
  13. bobbyonions

red plating EL34

Was listening to my PP el34 tube amp today and I heard a hum building in one channel the hum turned into a fluttering noise just before I turned it off. I saw one of the el34's plates glowing red as I was turning it off. I let it cool and swapped the tube to the other channel and turned it on...
  14. bobbyonions

Mantispid in Massachusetts?

I was brushing my teeth this morning and saw what at first looked like a wasp on the sink. I took a closer look and this thing looked like a preying mantis with large lace-like wings. It was sitting there cleaning it's front raptor-like legs just like a preying mantis does. I coaxed it...
  15. bobbyonions

anyone into old wrist watches? need help

I found this old Swiss-made Felca watch yesterday. The colorful hands really are what caught my eye. I purchased it, put it on, wound it up and it works. The second hand advances and ticks every 1/4 second. I opened up the back to get a peek and a picture. It reads 17 jewels. I was...
  16. bobbyonions

is this a toothbrush or a french tickler?

Anyone ever notice how complicated toothbrushes are nowadays? It's getting to the point that they look more like some kind of sex toy than something to brush your teeth with. I hadn't really thought it about it for years, just buying the latest trendy brush. A couple weeks ago I bought an...
  17. bobbyonions

tone caps on SX-XXX receiver???

I have a Pioneer SX-525 receiver that has a low rumble or whoosh sound when turning the stepped bass pot. I've found past threads that suggest this symptom may be due to bad caps on the preamp board (I've tried deoxing the pot with no improvement). I located the schematic on digital docs...
  18. bobbyonions

bass pot problem on sx-525--HELP!!!

Someone gave me a Pioneer SX-525 receiver that was acting up. Here is the symptom. Everything works in both channels but when you turn the bass knob, it makes low whoosh noises and it makes my woofers move in and out drastically. Further more, when the bass knob is turned down to it's...
  19. bobbyonions

Powervar power conditioner hum??

I picked this Powervar 4.0 (4A) line conditioner up the other day. When powered up it has an audible hum. Not real loud, but loud enough to make me question whether it's normal or not. Does anyone know if this is normal? It sounds about like a fish tank air pump. If it's not...
  20. bobbyonions

Wacky Philco tube console

Scraped this off the curb a few doors down about an hour ago. It's a Philco console with a couple unusual features. If it wasn't a cosmetic nightmare, it would have been worth restoring just as an oddity or novelty. 1. It has a reverb amp and spring tank. (I have seen Fisher consoles with...
  21. bobbyonions

I HATE re-channeled stereo

Every once in awhile, I bring home an LP that has been "electronically re channeled for stereo". I can't listen to them. It seems like they are taking one channel and mixing it bass heavy and then the other channel heavy on the treble. It sounds like they might be screwing with the...
  22. bobbyonions

anyone switch to solid state in the summer months?

It's hot here. I feel bad listening to my space heater,.......I mean tube amp. Anyone do tubes in winter and solid state in summer? What would be the most efficient (coolest) type amp for hot weather?
  23. bobbyonions

Lafayette SK-98 8" biflex full rangers

I recently picked up a pair of these. I been researching and it seems these are made by Fukuin (very early Pioneer) and are pretty highly regarded. I did find a couple old threads referencing these, but no thread yet where someone is actually trying them out in custom baffles or cabs...
  24. bobbyonions

tube era pioneer lafayette speakers?

Picked these up today. The cabs are shot but they looked like they might contain some tube era goodness, so I coughed up the $6 and brought them home. They contain two Lafayette drivers. One is an 8" woofer (SK-98) and a small horn tweeter (SK-105). I found out that these are early Pioneer...
  25. bobbyonions

Bang and Olufson control panel 5500????

I have a B&O beomaster 5500 receiver/amp and a master control panel 5500. The panel is a wireless control needed to operate the receiver. I figured out how to work the volume, tone controls, etc with the line level inputs, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to tune fm stations. I...
Back
Top Bottom