Search results

1. C

Thorens turntable question

Thanks for posting the photo and responses - I have a TD 165, and was trying to figure out how to pull the spindle out - there is a plastic disk on the spindle which catches on those two prongs - now I know that I've got to get at them from the bottom.
  2. C

sa-1050 vs sx-1050

the sa-1050 is just an integrated amp, but its style looks a good bit different than the sx-1050. does anyone know if the amp section is common to both? any word :thmbsp: :thumbsdn: on the sa-1050?
  3. C

Basic equipment list?

I'd like to try my hand at replacing the caps in an old tube integrated amp, and troubleshooting a speaker cross-over. Beyond the cheap analog multimeter and soldering iron I have, what other 'starter' equipment makes sense to add? What kind of equipment do you need to check the specs on...
  4. C

CD player Purchase advice

tube dacs Any suggestions on tube DACs? I'd also be interested if you came across a schematic.
  5. C

Help! Wiring new house for Networking, Cable...

Leviton is fine, a cheap plastic punch-down tool will be packed with each jack/terminal, it should suffice. There is no such thing as a 'universal' jack/terminal/faceplate combination, so to be safe, use one brand. regarding cat5e/6 cable, note that 'plenum' spec is usually more expensive &...
  6. C

Needle Inspection Magnifier scope

thanks for the tip no pun intended. I ordered a pair, real cheap for some peace of mind. :thmbsp:
  7. C

Olson S-23 Speakers

I just found a pair of Olson S-175's check out this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38108 Do your drivers have an Olson tradename & Akron address? Are they Teledyne Olsons or just Olsons? The conclusion was that these were manufactured for the Olson Electronics...
  8. C

Ming-Da MC34-B

just curious, who sells these? I saw an ebay listing by jim60815, not sure if it was legit ($528 + $145 shipping).
  9. C

Heathkit tube tester

For those of you who might know what to do with it, I just came across a listing on the Goodwill auction site for one - https://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=1331611 I was tempted, but I wouldn't use it as well as some of you might. However, if one of you guys wins it, I hope...
  10. C

found on the curb, are they worth fixing?

wow, what a blast from the past Trext, thanks so much for that link. I read through the Olson Radio/Electronics posting on www.childhoodradio, what a great way to appreciate what I found. Irving Olson was still corresponding in Feb. - age 90-something. MHardy, I saw a reference to an 8" Utah...
  11. C

Wonder about the A/R - Teledyne connection The Teledyne logo on the grille is the same as that of the defense electronics contractor/manufacturer conglomerate. I imagine that the Olson brand was purchased by them. I don't think that Teledyne would have purchased a retail chain, they probably...
  12. C

I found these a few hours ago, haven't had time to wire them up, but the cones look ok. According to the data plate on the back, they are Teledyne Olson 12" 4-way speakers, Model S175. I've clipped a few pictures. The cabinets are beat, but could be refinished. Two pots on the back for...
  13. C

ANOTHER EPI score!

please put me out of my misery I pulled my pair of Epicure 11's out of the garage two weeks ago, where they had been exiled by my wife for the last 15 years (the usual visual aesthetic complaints) - only to find the foam surrounds rotted out. So, in a fit of pique, I threw them away. Then I...
  14. C

Opinion- Vinyl and CD

Heretic Back in the day, I used to tape my LPs and use the tapes for 'everyday' listening. When I had the time to get in the listening zone, I'd take the album out. So how about ripping LPs to DVD-A, playing the DVDs (or stream from a hard drive) for casual listening and saving the LPs for...
  15. C

Looking to get into tubes.

Mojo, Thatch & Craig, many thanks for the poiinters.
  16. C

mojo, Thanks. Will let you know what happens. How do you tell if caps or tubes need replacing? Better yet, just so I can keep from asking so many stupid questions, do ya'll have any reading suggestions (besides reviewing the archived posts on this site) that would help?
  17. C

need a good tube doctor I have a Sherwood SA 5000 II that has a scratching volume control and one channel that drops out intermittently. I'm not an EE, are there any simple diagnostics & repairs/cleaning that I can do before finding an expert? Any suggestions on who to go to for expert repairs?
  18. C

Making a record cleaning machine?

How about powering the DIY record cleaning machine with a ceiling fan motor? Bet you would have enough torque -
  19. C

What TT's do you folks have

Thorens changer back in '74, one of my Dad's friends (the guy who sold me my Sherwood SA 5000II for $35) offered to sell me his old (probably '65?) Thorens changer for cheap. I can't remember the model number, but it wasn't like the Duals with the center post, it had an arm that reached over...
  20. C

what about wear? Do some cartridges have better reputations for being gentler on the vinyl? Does the AT 440ML claim that its stylus design distributes the load more evenly than an elliptical really bear out in terms of vinyl longevity?
  21. C

need some TT/cart advice I've got my old Thorens TD165 with its original Stanton 681EEE cart (1972) and a garage sale Denon DP51F with a Grado cart. Don't know anything about the Denon, haven't used my Thorens in 15 years. I'm assuming that I will need to replace the cartridges - any ideas as...
Back
Top Bottom