Search results

1. B

Why not use solid wood?

While resonance is required for character in making a guitar it is not wanted in a speaker because it introduces its own "character" on top of the recording. The object of a speaker is high fidelity or accurate reproduction and that requires a complete lack of resonance as possible to create a...
  2. B

Boston A200 Rescue!

I always thought these were the best Bostons ever made. 1st and best. The woofer is on the bottom to avoid "floor bounce" or a dip in response from cancellation at the half wave of the frequency determined by distance to floor. Those Seas tweeters were great also as long as the crossover was...
  3. B

Celestion Ditton 44..oh no not the tweeter

Maybe it was a THC blackout! Cap/coil failure is rare, is there a resistor? Do you know the cap/coil values? Could be a connection failure, try whapping it a couple times or run leads directly to the tweeter, that will define the issue. There are many replacement possibilities depending on...
  4. B

SMAC August 2012

Unfortunately a family thing has come up and I have to bow out also....so it goes...
  5. B

SMAC August 2012

The last time we had three speaker systems switched two amps and two CD/DVD players plus my turntable.
  6. B

SMAC August 2012

Anyone have speakers to switch in and out with? Do I bring the entire system?
  7. B

B&W DM603 s2 torn tweeters question

I have never seen anything like this....it looks like a cone tweeter with "fake" dome cover. The previous owner may have figured this out and removed it to sound better. You could replace the tweeter with a real dome but you may need to add resistors and make physical alterations to make it...
  8. B

Dungeon RTA

Hey add a sub and get over it.
  9. B

SMAC August 2012

Dale has a room for a system build and I need to have a review of my speakers again. I have lowered the midrange level and by adding a resistor across the speaker for an L pad the impedance rise is lowered and the coil is made more effective to increase the crossover low pass roll off rate a...
  10. B

$140,000 Speakers Use Cone Tweeters

Wizzer cones usually add to the resonant peak at the high end of the response and follow the roll off after that only just a little higher in frequency. In other words barf. Bose uses cone tweeters because it costs more for a good tweeter. Of all the speakers that need to be "fast" it is a...
  11. B

Add another to the DCM fan list

I think Steve would know.....and be careful with that higher power...These speakers were not meant for blasting like a drunk with Cerwin Vegas.
  12. B

SMAC June 2012

Oh yeah I will bring speaker cables also....Monstrous. (they were free)
  13. B

Oh No! Picked up ADS L810s!

Stack them and wire in parallel....just sayin...
  14. B

Triple Speaker Shootout

I have heard Sansui speakers that surprised me but but bottom line is you are dealing with mediocre.
  15. B

SMAC June 2012

I have a sweet PS Audio Model One that will do the job. 90 WPC
  16. B

Acoustic Research AR-4x restoration...

I fixed a pair of these. Unfortunately the woofer has a terrible midrange rise. Any well made replacement woofer will be much better. The cone tweeter is also lackluster and any dome would be better.
  17. B

A big thanks to all

I would very much be interested in next year. I have a new speaker system in the works that looks like a new high for me. Dr Tinear from the Ford audio club gave me the best sound in show award but I believe I can do do even better. This time there are no compromises in cabinet work and I have...
  18. B

Has this ever happened to you?

I appreciate constructive criticism but it is rare to find someone capable of it. One time I invited a Luddite from work to experience real hi fi and after some time I saw him grimace and furrow his brow so I asked what was the problem? He said the balance was way off so I checked and it was...
  19. B

SMAC June 2012

My Sumico is a moving coil so a phono preamp would be needed to go with Nagle amp. I can bring a Apt Holman preamp but it is....dare I say it....solid state.
  20. B

SMAC June 2012

OK not a lot of action going on here....I can bring my Thorens turntable with Sumico Blue Point cartridge and/or Marantz CD recorder/player. How are you doing out there Supreme Leader Jeff .????
  21. B

SMAC June 2012

I can bring my newest speaker system that was supposed to be at AK fest but were not finished. I ended up using a pro audio woofer (Daton series 2) with many heavy coats of "Flex seal" on the cone for added mass and high-mid frequency damping (yes I certainly do not believe in "fast woofers")...
  22. B

Speakerlab 4

One of the few speakers I would say KEEP THE GRILLS ON!
  23. B

A cool environment and woofer foam

Humidity is also an issue....
  24. B

How to determine crossover capacitors.

Tight packed components are not best for good sound. Cap's should be at least 3" away from the coils in fact all components should be spaced that far. Caps in the signal path (in series) are more important than the ones going to ground. Listen to Carl...
  25. B

what are these?

These are not full rangers but maybe only need a supertweeter. Hook them up on the floor and see if you could live with the treble.
Back
Top Bottom