Search results

1. toxcrusadr

Which Altec/JBLs Had These Metal Grilles?

Well, I missed em. Ad was up on CL for twelve days and he just sold em this afternoon. I hate it when that happens. There's probably a silver lining. For example, if I bring home any more big speakers, I may be sleeping with them, in the garage. :cool:
  2. toxcrusadr

Posted on Lansing Heritage, owner says it's a Barzilay. Spittin' image of the one I posted. He's got JBL drivers in em. He also says the grill is actually plastic. So, I have to find out what's under the hood on these.
  3. toxcrusadr

Oh I think you're right! I found Barzilays that look just like these. The 846A had a slightly curved front grill that was very similar to this but not the same. I hadn't picked out the subtle difference in the grill pattern. Are you a chemist by any chance, Dr. Beaker?
  4. toxcrusadr

Oh wait I found it right here. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/crossover-for-altec-846a-valencia.885654/ This thread has links to Zilch and other AKers working out the design for the GPA crossover. AK still rocks. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, I don't actually have...
  5. toxcrusadr

No I'm not, they just looked like that in the pic, but the Valencia has a stamped wood grill. Great Plains Audio did an article about upgrading these to Model 19 performance including a new crossover at 1.35 KHz. They didn't include a schematic in the article and they don't offer the crossover...
  6. toxcrusadr

They look like Altec Valencias? But most of the Valencias I'm seeing have an overhanging top. Appear to be the B version.
  7. toxcrusadr

29" tall. Just can't place em. Guy says they are 1973-74 range.
  8. toxcrusadr

ID a Philips Console

All I have so far is this one picture, and I'm not finding anything like it on a Google Image search. It's said to be a tuber, with walnut veneer, and looks pretty big. Is there a Philips console guru that anyone knows of? Update: Seems it may be a Philco. Both names are used in the ad! If so...
  9. toxcrusadr

KC area?

Yeah, check for DC on the outputs, but also, the 1250 (obv not the same model) has several fuses INSIDE that require removing the cover. If one is out you can replace it and see what happens. If it blows again then you know which part of the unit is acting up.
  10. toxcrusadr

Annoying Silent Drivers With No Apparent Cause

Excellent, thanks.
  11. toxcrusadr

How Do I Connect 2 Recivers Together

Or see any post by user stereorob. :beatnik:
  12. toxcrusadr

These speakers have two woofers per cabinet. I pulled one out and checked it, and reached in to check the other one. The crossover does come right out with the input panel, it's mounted right to it. They're very tall speakers though and the woofers are waay at the other end. Connections are all...
  13. toxcrusadr

I've run into this a couple of times. A driver not playing - the latest is a woofer - and you can't find anything wrong with the speaker. This one's a Paradigm BP tower. Woofers on one side just went silent. Opened her up, the drivers are both 6 ohms so they're fine. Look at the crossover, and...
  14. toxcrusadr

Console Tube Stereo Receiver, what the heck is it?

That fuse will have a voltage rating too, which is not shown there. But if it's only for the filaments, the required voltage would be no higher than the highest filament voltage of any of the tubes. I would guess 12V but I don't know these Euro tubes by heart. Maybe someone else knows, but if...
  15. toxcrusadr

What might be wrong with my Rotel RC-1070 preamp?

Terribly tardy in checking back on this thread. Thanks for the suggestion Vinny and I'll get to this as soon as humanly possible. Edit: If the signal is going directly from S501 to the rear jacks, why does the schematic of the headphone jack (in my earlier post) show it going through the...
  16. toxcrusadr

St. Louis Repair Shops?

Great, thanks for that. :thumbsup: Next time I'm headed for STL I'll hit him up.
  17. toxcrusadr

St. Louis Repair Shops?

He seemed very enthusiastic when we traded emails and said he had worked on bunches of them. A few months went by as I was waiting for an opportunity to drop it off. One finally came along but alas, he was away. At that point I had figured out (through his guidance) that the problem is likely...
  18. toxcrusadr

I still get confused looking at the schematic, but according to vinnysj's post above, when phones are plugged in, the signal is routed to an opamp to drive the phones. I also notice that two of the pins - 3 and 6 on the schematic - aren't actually connected to anything. Presumably a jack with...
  19. toxcrusadr

St. Louis Repair Shops?

I had emailed Alpha last week asking if they would be there on a certain day and if they'd work on a particular unit with a particular problem (not terribly difficult I don't think). No answer. It would have been a much longer drive for me past where I was going (STL Airport) so I did not take...
  20. toxcrusadr

Electro voice Aristocrat-newbie

That's right. The two walls would touch the two sides adjacent to that back panel with the controls, leaving a triangular space. You'd just have to reach over the top of the cabinet and turn the knobs without looking at them. Which creates its own problems, I admit.
  21. toxcrusadr

I've sent an email to Switchcraft. After looking at their website plus Mouser, Digikey, Parts Express and some others, I'm finding nothing with three conductors and nine lugs. BTW I think I can see how it can work on the headphones but not the back panel. If the contact is bad between the side...
  22. toxcrusadr

Still need to figure out which type of jack this is. I'm assuming '3-conductor' since it is stereo + common return. As for 'open circuit', 'closed circuit', "tip closed, ring open" or "tip open, ring closed": I don't think it's going to be the third or fourth option because L and R should be...
  23. toxcrusadr

I did go through standard troubleshooting when this first happened. Just to make sure it wasn’t the power amp etc. i would have tried the other set of output jacks too. The person I heard this from did Rotel warranty work for a long time and told me to try the headphone test. oh thanks for the...
  24. toxcrusadr

Still looking to fix my sweet sounding preamp and it may be simpler than I thought. I found out that there is a weak point on these units: the headphone jack. It has switches in it that shut off the signal to the rear panel output jacks when you plug in headphones. Apparently it can fail, and...
  25. toxcrusadr

I have had a set of these for awhile. What the heck are they?

5 months late on the response, but how do you judge a cap as good or bad? Capacitance only or are you looking at ESR? What are the limits for the tests you're using? Not trying to start an argument. Genuinely curious.
Back
Top Bottom