Search results

1. marqueemoon

Alvvays

One of my favorite recent discoveries. Probably won't be everyone's cup of tea here, but for folks that love indie pop like I do I highly recommend them.
  2. marqueemoon

my band The Laughing Group's new recording

If you like stripped down indie rock with some harmonies this might be up your alley. https://thelaughinggroup.bandcamp.com/releases
  3. marqueemoon

guitar (or bass, or whatever) effects

Curious what y'all are into. My old standbys for grit are a Barber Direct Drive and the trusty ProCo RAT, but I'm interested to try a Klon-esque circuit at some point. I have a Fulltone Fat Boost I am less happy with. It has too much of its own sonic signature. I think I want more of true...
  4. marqueemoon

a sound that's... "passable"

http://www.audiopill.net/en/ Edit: There are curse words on the site if that kind of thing offends you.
  5. marqueemoon

the new breed of cheap, low watt tube guitar heads

I guess I have been living under a rock for a while. I didn't realize this was a thing now. It's a thing that's very relevant to my interests. I have always loved the sound of a simple preamp, no master volume and a 6V6 or two cranked up, but vintage prices are getting truly ridiculous and I...
  6. marqueemoon

I just finished reading Haruki Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Anybody else here read this? What a strange and moving book. Also, that bit from the overture to "The Thieving Magpie" isn't exactly easy to whistle.
  7. marqueemoon

latest full range folly - JVC SP-UX7000

I picked up a pair of these over the weekend. They were the stock speakers in their FS-7000 "executive" mini system from the late 90's. So far I've tried them with the NAD 3150 in the kitchen and the chip amp and tube amp in my office. Compared to my Kanspeas they are a little less forward...
  8. marqueemoon

Rdio is dead. Now what?

Aside from the lack of high rez I liked it. :( Tidal's user interface kind of gives me a headache. How is Spotify these days? We have a better connection at home now (I already did at my office), but my wife is concerned about poor performance/using tons of data when streaming with our phones...
  9. marqueemoon

My cyclocross season starts on Sunday.

Tires are glued. Bikes are as tuned as they're going to get. The forecast is dry, which means loose sand and inhaling a bunch of dust as I get smoked by a bunch of dudes freshly done with their road season. Anyone else participate in this foolishness?
  10. marqueemoon

iPhone mics what do you like?

I'd like to find something with a pad/adjustable input level since band practices tend to be pretty loud. Fixed X/Y would be fine.
  11. marqueemoon

Kanto Ben

Ok. I am intrigued by these. There is a little bit of BS in the specs like the frequency response being based on +/- 6, but Amazon reviews seem to be pretty positive and a few folks who wrote them at least seem to know their stuff. If the 88dB efficiency rating is accurate, at 4 ohms...
  12. marqueemoon

budget power cables - what to look for?

I've never messed with upgraded power cables and want to experiment. I have a modest tube integrated and Bifrost Uber. I've definitely been looking at the Quail Electronics "jellyfish" option, but I'm wondering if there are other options in the $50-$60 range I should be looking at. I'd like...
  13. marqueemoon

marqueemoon's obscure classic Tuesday

In this thread I'll highlight and quickly review an album I consider a classic every Tuesday. Not necessarily "desert island" material, but an album I personally like and think more people should hear. I could be 6 months old or 30 years old. I will try to stick to material that is still fairly...
  14. marqueemoon

marqueemoon's mostly British living room system

Just picked up the Arcam Alpha 7 CDP this morning. It's matching nicely with the Brio 3. Definitely a little more extended on both ends than the cheaper Sony it replaced. The P1 is running the stock cart. Nothing fancy there. Speakers are made in Canada Yorkville YSM-2s sitting on sand loaded...
  15. marqueemoon

Promo media auction question

Hopefully this is a kosher question. I read over the rules quickly. I'm sure almost all of us have promotional/DJ copy media in our collections, and there are a great many listed as such on ebay (for one example). In this scenario is ebay's only obligation to take down the auction if...
  16. marqueemoon

Tour de France 2015 (expect spoilers)

So who's following this? Been pretty exciting so far I think.
  17. marqueemoon

component isolation/vibration control/coupling

Just curious what people here are are doing and what they consider the most effective things to do first. My work system components sit on a metal cabinet so I have the CD player and tube amp sitting on maple cutting board-esque objects. It does seem to tame the mechanical noise of the CDP a...
  18. marqueemoon

I lost my wedding ring.

This sucks. Got home Thursday and it was not on my hand. I never took it off. Slept with it on. Not super-expensive, but it was custom made for me. It is just a thing, and my wife has been super understanding about it, but I am pretty bummed, mainly in the "I can't have nice things." way. I...
  19. marqueemoon

Gainclones

I have yet to hear one of these designs, but judging from reviews I have read it seems like they could be up my alley sonically. For those who have owned, heard, and especially built them, what do you think? Details about musical preferences, other gear, etc.. would be really helpful...
  20. marqueemoon

new Stone Roses reissues

http://blog.lightintheattic.net/stone-roses-deluxe-vinyl-reissue/ Anybody know the story on these? I have the 20th anniversary edition on vinyl and have mixed feelings about that remaster. It sounds good generally, but is a little "revisionist" as these things often are. I will forever...
  21. marqueemoon

The bass is here! It only took 5 years!

I had to check to make sure I wasn't imagining things, but yep. I bought my BK-16 kits in early 2010 and finished them around this time, at which point I installed the *used* AN drivers I bought on A-gon. I figured they would be semi-broken in when I got them. Frankly I was pretty let down at...
  22. marqueemoon

NAD 2155 to Adcom GFA-535 - is it an upgrade?

I'm definitely on a budget these days and I've realised my dream amp(s) are probably at least a year in the future if not more. The NAD has been very reliable, and I have no real complaints about the sound. What attracts me to the Adcom are individual adjustments for each channel and...
  23. marqueemoon

I don't know how you guys do it.

I'm selling a non-audio related item on craigslist right now (as I do from time to time with other hobby stuff) and I'm always amazed at the kind of responses I get. Out of 6 or 7 e-mails only one person has expressed a direct interest in checking the thing out, which will pretty much...
  24. marqueemoon

questionable bonus tracks

I checked out True Stories by Talking Heads from the library today. It's an album I'm quite familiar with from my younger days but had not listened to in a while. "City Of Dreams" finishes (a perfect album closer), and a new track come on. It's an irritating and pointless remix of "Wild Wild...
  25. marqueemoon

Andrew Bird - Sonic Arboretum

http://www.andrewbird.net/sonic-arboretum/ Stumbled onto this today after seeing a pair of the Specimen speakers online. Pretty neat stuff. I was able to listen to the stereo version of the album on Rdio, but seeing the exhibit is going to be the best way to get the full sonic effect...
Back
Top Bottom