Search results

1. jblnut

April 13th 2024 FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA - & T-shirts

Thanks Jim and Bill and everyone else who lugged gear and food there (and back). I loved hearing the big KLH 'stats. They were just as impressive as the decades of raves would lead one to believe. Jblnut
  2. jblnut

April 13th 2024 FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA - & T-shirts

Trying to get my schedule cleared out enough so I can get away for a few hours to connect with some old friends. Hoping to be there noon-ish. No Monti's pizza this time, sorry.
  3. jblnut

Yamaha GT-2000 from Japan, or TD-125 locally?

Spend the extra money and wait for one from HIFIDO. Not only will it be packed properly to survive a trip to the moon, it will have been gone through and any issues will have been addressed. And they stand behind it with a warranty. Don't be another receiver of a box of smashed GT2000 parts...
  4. jblnut

RIP Terry DeWick

RIP Terry....you are missed. Jblnut
  5. jblnut

Recommendation's for MC Low output cartridge for Rock and Blues

Sure does...put one of the original ART 9s on my VPI Classic about 5 years ago and it's still on there. Tracks anything and everything superbly and is very revealing. Jblnut
  6. jblnut

FrankenFest T-Shirt Designs - which do you like?

Meter or Dog for me please !
  7. jblnut

Turntable volume way too loud

If it has a built in phono pre you don't connect it to the phono input on your amp. That would account for the crazy loud volume.
  8. jblnut

That's their "Pet Sounds" - Make your case here!

Interesting call OJ on King's X. I always thought Gretchen was their masterpiece and I still do. It's got some killer writing and playing and the vocal harmonies of "the Difference" still have me reaching for the old CD periodically. A few other musings... Steely Dan - Royal Scam for the win...
  9. jblnut

JBL 4648 vs 4645B

Personally I would add a number of dedicated high quality subs (Revel, Velodyne DD, REL, etc) and call it a day. If you're only concerned with that lowest octave a few of these will do what you ask easily. We have a single Velodyne DD10 keeping up with the 4670s crossed at 30hz. It can easily...
  10. jblnut

Just got the 2024 Music Direct Catalog in the mail, and the prices for gear are insane! How much better is this newer stuff compared to vintage?

My thoughts exactly...I buy a few records a year from MD to stay on the catalog list. Will be fun to page through them 10 or 20 yrs from now as today's high end becomes tomorrow's estate sale score. Who am I kidding ...it'll be my estate sale in 20 yrs ! Lol Jblnut
  11. jblnut

What preamp for a McIntosh MC1000?

Or C1000?
  12. jblnut

TMI? What Song Were you Listening To When You Lost Your Virginity?

I was too intent on trying to hear the sound of her mom's footsteps on the stairs to notice the music ;-)
  13. jblnut

local weed growing discussions

Very true...purple appears once we get the first night in the 40s. I always try to have some purple varieties as they look beautiful and some have grape/sweet smelling terpines. lilac Diesel and Purple Sunset were both amazing last year. Those shots above were Purple Hash.
  14. jblnut

local weed growing discussions

Was a very good year here although wet and challenging as we got down to the wire. My 4th season and I learn a lot every year. I grow outside which makes it so much harder but when you get it down, the yields are fantastic. I'm like the guy at work with cucumbers and tomatoes in the...
  15. jblnut

2014 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E 350 Wagon

That's a decent era for Mercedes-Benz and the powertrain should be pretty solid. I'd get her up in the air and check for oil or PS leaks at a bare minimum. This era is however known for broken springs so you may want to budget for eventually doing all 4 struts/shocks and springs. Good luck!
  16. jblnut

Ω Ω Saturday October 21st 2023 FALL FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA Ω Ω

I do...PM me and maybe I can help out as long as it's not huge or heavy.
  17. jblnut

Recommended cartridges for Yamaha GT-2000

Candy - my recommendation of the 33EV was aimed at folks who just want a no fuss no nonsense MC that won't drive you crazy with setup hasles, make you go buy a different phono pre because of ultra low output, or only shine on perfect records. It's just a solid middle of the road performer that...
  18. jblnut

What car do you want for just a week?

I think a week would be about right for an Indy Troy Special ;-) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2019-troy-indy-special/#listing-bid
  19. jblnut

MQ112 - finally!

Been looking at this myself...looks great and would add a lot to less than perfect recordings. But at that price its crowding up pretty close to some lightly used Manley Massive Passive units I have long cherished. Need to make a decision and not sure which way I will roll here .... Jblnut
  20. jblnut

Apparently I Am Collecting Interesting Out Of Production Cartridges

The DL-S1 will be a challenge to get "right" without the matching Denon transformer made specifically for it. I had a Swiss army knife of a phono pre (Pass Xono) and could never get any meaningful bass and impact out of it. What it did well (the transparency of the upper registers) might have...
  21. jblnut

Ω Ω Saturday October 21st 2023 FALL FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA Ω Ω

Bummer...haven't been to a wedding in like 20 years but I am going to one that day. Someone else will have to get the Monti's pizza this time .... Jblnut
  22. jblnut

A-S3200 Noise Phono Section

Normal - hook up a turntable, play a record at those levels and report back... Jblnut
  23. jblnut

Who says accordions aren't cool?

35 years ago I flew out to CA with some buddies for a SF->SD CA road trip. We rolled into LA late one night and cruised by the Music Machine and were excited to see The Tubes up on the sign. But then we realized we had missed them by one night. We went in anyway and were absolutely blown away by...
  24. jblnut

Losing my mind! Help Please - EQ with Pre and Power

FWIW @TaylorPlayer had a very similar MF pre (maybe even this one) and we could never get an external EQ to work properly either. Even a passive Spectrum Analyzer showed no signal from those "Tape Monitor" outputs. Makes me think that perhaps that function might be hard coded to only certain...
  25. jblnut

Sota Pyxi with my Yamaha GT-2000

The GT can handle heavy headshell/cart combos - I have the Yamamoto holding an Ortofon Windfeld (13g) and the counterweight still has some room to move back.
Back
Top Bottom