Search results

1. merrylander

Earliest "Boom box"

Yesterday during a Zoom conference, I had muted the big TV but left the picture on. I had been watching PBS and as the sound was off all I saw was this black and white clip of some young people, I am guessing Europe in the early 50s. One young woman was carrying this rectangular radio like...
  2. merrylander

Yamaha repairs

Having achieved the advanced age of 91 I can tell you all that there is no point messaging me for repair work. In fact I gave it up over six years back as my Florencia was still alive and she has been gone six years as of last October. Sorry.
  3. merrylander

Aviation afficionados

I came across this picture of that last aircraft my late wife flew. From things she told me this was the last thing she flew before giving up flying.that would have been sometime in the early 70s I would imagine as she was wearing that same coat in another photo from that period. I am just...
  4. merrylander

Yamaha CD-1

I have his pristine CD-1 that I have concluded was never adjusted properly. Unfortunately it takes a scope and I have sold mine. Sometime when I can afford to ship this beast. all 15kg of her, I will send it to someone who has a scope and likes Yamaha puzzles.
  5. merrylander

CR6620 and 820 idle adjustment

I had a request for this procedure but darned if I know how to attach PDFs to PMs so here it is, identical procedure for both receivers, but for pity's sake be careful with TP3 and TP4 a slipped alligator clip here and goodbye outputs. That is why I never use alligators, too clumsy by half, get...
  6. merrylander

This is it - timeto stop

Well there might be one change if I get the Yamaha CD-1 going,but enough is enough. CR-3020, PX-2. K-1000, CDO-755, Teac X-1000R, Teac 1230, RT-707, NS-650s It helps if I added the pictures, guess I am getting old.:music:
  7. merrylander

Yamaha CR-1040 mode switch

Someone emailed me from here looking for this switch. Unfortunately I deleted the email thinking it would be on here. Please email me again and if the switch looks like the one in the photo and has the part # KA50039 on the side also include your mailing address. I have three or four available.
  8. merrylander

I think there are changes

This is the final Playroom system; Yamaha CR-3020 Receiver Yamaha NS-690 MkI Speakers Home made speaker stands Yamaha PX-2 with Denon DL-160 Yamaha K-1000 Cassette Yamaha CDC-755 CDP Teac X-1000R RTR Teac 1230 RTR (on the floor) Pioneer RT-797 RTR (on record cabinet Home made switch...
  9. merrylander

October 29-1983 to 2013

Rather than interrupt the fest thread this sort of qualifies as an event, at least it was an event in our lives. After offering her my protection the night of the February blizzard of 1983 and a handshake, All that stack of letters across 500 miles resulted in a private wedding ceremony at my...
  10. merrylander

From Merrylander: I no longer do Yamaha repairs.

Folks I am 82 years old and due to failing eyesight for close work and arthritis in my hands I no longer can do restorations, so please don't ask me if I can give you an estimate on restoring your Yamaha whatever.:music:
  11. merrylander

To stain or not to stain

In my recent clearing out of Yamaha case I decided to do this CR600/CR-800 case in Butternut - also known as the White Walnut (it is al least twice as hard as walnut). First I cut away the new growth pale pieces from the veneer sheets and joined the two pieces of heartwood. Veneered the case...
  12. merrylander

CR-3020 heat on leftmost vent

Some folks have noticed heat rising from the front of the leftmost vent. This is directly above the power supply regulator board NA07025 and is due to one TO-220 transistor. Yamaha's love for the humble 2SD234 in this case was not a great choice. Even with the double heatsink they put on it...
  13. merrylander

New project

Trying to make space in my workshop I have three CR-6/820 cases, one with no grills or feet. One CR-1000 case, one CR-800 case and one (maybe two) CR-1040 cases sitting around from organ donors I guess. Have not got the heart to turn them into firewood so I guess I will kill two birds and...
  14. merrylander

Too many RTRs

Small problem, the playroom ssystem has one cassette and three RTRs but the CR-3020 only has two tape input/output spots. Went through my Mouse catalog and parts bin and now I have a thre input Playback/Record switch. I had some white Times Roman Lettraset but it was too old and would not...
  15. merrylander

Restoring CR-640 through CR-1040

When you have one of these CR-n40 receivers it is always a concern as to whether to spend the money on new power amp modules. Simply because if the pre-drivers are sick you just blew a bunch of money. What to do? First off desolder the power amp modules and remoive them completely.* Now lay...
  16. merrylander

The Chalk Man is back

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=the%20chalk%20man%20is%20back&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDAQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6IgOIoFTrDU&ei=vloQT6aQDYLc0QHMi_iEAw&usg=AFQjCNHl3He1cOSk8SXcnlCGNZKfBpe3Rw
  17. merrylander

I'm gonna feel it in the morning

Putting down a floating floor in the new playroom involves too much getting down on my knees, but we are getting there. This side was the fiddly bit, the rest is pretty much a straight shot, except for the three posts.
  18. merrylander

Happy New Year

Off to do some yard work since it is such a nice day so I will take this opportuity to wish everyone here a kinder, gentler 2012. Here is hoping y'all have a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year. Or as my Yorkshire forefathers would have said Here's to all an us, May we never want for...
  19. merrylander

Well so far so good

AYamaha NS-690 MkI woofer that was frozen due to glue failure. First I determined that the failure was between the magnet and the frame. Magnet to pole piece lookks good. I started by getting a tin blade putty knife between the magnet and frame on three sides. Then I hot screwdrivers between...
  20. merrylander

Luvinvynil and Hihgping

Both of these gentlemen came through with the dead Walkmans but unfortunately neither one had the WMS58141 IC I was hoping to find. The Walkman II has an 8-pin SIP that possibly perfoms the same function, but getting help from Sony is impossible..
  21. merrylander

Merry Christmas and Chanukah Blessings to all

No matter what y'all may believe here is hoping that 2012 will be a kinder, gentler year.:thmbsp:
  22. merrylander

Sort of DIY

From this pile to this record cabinet in 30 minutes. Tomorrow I take some records out of storage in my shop, It just was not quite widw enough for both RTRs on top.
  23. merrylander

Yamaha CR-640 to CR-1040

These are the three receivers in the CR-n40 lineup that use the NLA pre-driver chip. I have been advising an AK member about a retro-fit to these units and really should put it here for everyone who owns them. In all of the blown pre-drivers I have opened up there is one transistor that seems...
  24. merrylander

What a difference

. the wall treatment has made. Until the new entertainment center arrives I moved the shop system into the playroom. The new walls absorb more sound than bare concrete did and the drop ceiling and floating floor is not in but the little CR-800 and the Polk 10Bs never sounded so good, me like.:music:
  25. merrylander

Pioneer CS-G403

Any ideas what these might be worth? I put on new grill cloth and new tweeters. One of the ld tweets was bad so I matched specs as well as I could and put in matched new tweeters. A chap that did some work for us said he had a TT and a receiver, all Pioneer and had tried to sell but got no...
Back
Top Bottom