Search results

1. entex

Need Help Going Digital

I don't know about ripping DVDs through iTunes, but it's technically illegal to rip a blu-ray. There's no way around the DRM without breaking copyright laws. That said, it IS possible, and there is a video server company whose name I forget that is like the SONOS equivalent for video...
  2. entex

So what are ya listening to tonight?

Actress - R.I.P. This sort of music sounds fantastic on my setup.
  3. entex

There are days when I wanna get rid of everything vintage....

I sold off all my vintage stuff on craigslist within the last few months to pay for my modern system. It only covered about half the cost. I don't miss my vintage stuff at all, actually. It took up a ton of room, and most of it went unused. Now, I have one solid system that sounds far better...
  4. entex

Rega Brio-R

Hehe, yup. I live right down the street from Hanson. They also have Dynaudio, Focal, and Martin Logan. The people that work there are really helpful and talkative. Great place.
  5. entex

Rega Brio-R

The NS-1000Ms are definitely nice speakers. I've never heard them myself, but people seem to rate them as one of the classic monitors from the 70s-80s. I've found more synergy with modern bookshelf speakers using the Brio-R after demoing a lot of speakers side by side with my JBL 4312as. For...
  6. entex

Rega Brio-R

On another note, I got my Rega DAC in a few days ago, and I've simply been at a loss for words. I didn't think my setup could sound any better after my GX-100s broke in. With my Sonos Connect, the DAC added some subtle, yet pervasive changes. Firstly, everything is simply way more "musical"...
  7. entex

Rega Brio-R

Yeah, the REL subs look overpriced, but the proprietary "speakon" input makes it almost worth it. I confirmed with their tech support that I could use the LFE with my AVR for movies concurrently with my Brio-R via the speakon input, thereby using one subwoofer for two rigs, my 2 channel and my...
  8. entex

First Pair of Real headphones $100 or less

The Grado SR80i are indeed uncomfortable and not very durable. They also leak so much sound that they're basically unusable anywhere but your own house or private office. I own a pair and they sound amazing for the cost. However, I find myself using my Sony MDR 7506 much more. They are much...
  9. entex

Recommended Modern Speakers

My Monitor Audio GX-100s seem to have finally broken in. MA recommends 50 hours. I must have played them about 200 hours by now and they finally sound like what I expected them too. Previously, the tweeter seemed unnaturally chimey and high pitched. Also, there seemed to be a little hole in...
  10. entex

Rega Brio-R

Has anyone hooked up a subwoofer to the Rega Brio-R? My local audio salesman told me you can connect a subwoofer off the speaker jacks with certain subs. They have an impedance that basically draws a near-line-level signal and resists everything else, so whichever channel you're hooked up to...
  11. entex

Logitech Squeezebox vs. Sonos Connect - A few questions

Yes, I think everything you said is correct. That picture is a tad misleading though. You don't have to have the bridge between the router and a media server computer. I have my bridge hooked up to my router, and my computer with the media server is hooked up elsewhere through wifi.
  12. entex

Art, I have a pretty huge CD and mp3 collection that's mostly been integrated into my Sonos library, but STILL, I find myself more often listening to new stuff on MOG and other services. It breaks the limitation of only listening to stuff you're more familiar with, and just provides such...
  13. entex

For the media library in Sonos, you will simply add your folder that contains your itunes library on any computer hooked up to your network. Sonos then automatically scans the meta data. So, if everything is nice and organized in your iTunes, it should parse it with all the same tags. You can...
  14. entex

I kind of wish the Sonos Connect receivers were a little cheaper. They're simply a wireless receiver with a mediocre onboard DAC. If they were like $150, I'd have bought 3 of them by now.
  15. entex

Anyone ever considered simplifying to just digital?

I can only assume your listening to itunes or youtube on your laptop speakers and then switching to your TT which is hooked up to a proper stereo. If you play 320kbps mp3s through a good DAC into the same amp and speakers you use for a TT, there won't be a huge difference. The TT may have...
  16. entex

The iTunes-Iphone remote control app hasn't been very reliable in my experience. Each time the computer went on standby or a playlist ended or something, it just stops working until I go back to the computer and fiddle with it...disconnect/reconnect to the wifi or something. Also, this route...
  17. entex

Trying to tackle reflection points -- help needed!

That sounds like a good idea, but I'd have to get more creative as I'm not allowed to puncture my walls at all. The delicate plaster will surely crack and my landlord has banned it. Plus, as dumptruck has stated, no normal sound absorbing materials in panel form will absorb bass frequencies...
  18. entex

When I turn on my amp, both of the woofers push outward. They are Monitor Audio GX-100s. I've tried wiring the woofers separately, purposely out of phase, and they definitely sound out of phase when wired oppositely. I'm almost positive they aren't wired wrong internally. I'll try the...
  19. entex

Damn...you're right. I hadn't thought of that. *sighhhhh* I'm going to change out my speakers tonight to confirm it's not just these speakers. If that doesn't help, I'm going to consider rearranging the whole room. It's practically unlistenable currently.
  20. entex

Rega Brio-R

I'm currently trying to conquer some weird room reflection issues causing an aggravating pressure in my left ear. My listening configuration isn't quite ideal, but I have very limited options due to the floorplan of my house and specifically my living room. This issue is getting beaten like a...
  21. entex

dumptruck, thanks a lot for trying to help me out on this. One other observation of note: My AVR is set up with a 3.1 setup (5.1 minus the rear satellites) in basically the same configuration as my 2 channel setup. The R and L speakers are a little closer in to the TV. I never notice any...
  22. entex

I doubt it's my chimney. At low volumes, that wouldn't affect it very much, and this problem is quite apparent even at super low volumes. I just ran another experiment. Using the same speakers, and source, I hooked up my Yamaha AVR instead of my Rega amp. The phasing samples had the same...
  23. entex

I Am Getting Tired Of My Receivers

I recently sold all my vintage receivers and speakers. I bought one modern hi-fi setup for about $5,000, running only a single wireless digital source to run all my CDs, which I ripped as FLACs. I can honestly say I'm enjoying music more than before and respecting the level of detail...
  24. entex

Since the 75Hz tone is a simple sine wave, it's kind of hard to judge the phasing here. If I walk around the room with either in phase or out of phase playing, the sound disappears as I stand in certain locations. These spots seem to be the same for either. Regardless, the out of phase sample...
  25. entex

Okay, this is weirding me out. I'm using this website to see if my phasing is off. (obviously, I've triple checked the wires before going this route) http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php The guitar and low rumble correspond to how they should if phasing is correct, but the...
Back
Top Bottom