Search results

1. vintage 5.0

This passive sounds amazing

I guess for me if it works on my amps I would rather have less than more in the signal path. It lets me hear the amps much better.
  2. vintage 5.0

I agree with the above posters. I have had a few amps that a passive did not work well on. It seems most of my tube amps and class AB amps it works pretty well. It is a lot about synergy sometimes. I know one thing when it works it does sound great.
  3. vintage 5.0

I am once again heading back to passives. I am not sure why they sound better with many of my amps but to me they do. I have had some pretty nice preamps. Some of them I still own. Quicksilver, Conrad Johnson, McCormack, VTL, GAS just to name a few. I have been doing most of my listening lately...
  4. vintage 5.0

Tubes vs solid state observations

There is a reason that most guitar players love the tube amps. To me it just sounds right the way music is supposed to sound. I then find myself liking solid state that sounds like tube gear. That is what got me liking the GAS gear the amps even though they are solid state have a warm sound to them.
  5. vintage 5.0

Passive pre with tube amps

I have been running a rebuilt pair of Golden Tube Audio SE 40 in mono. I am going back and forth between a quicksilver tube line stage and a PS audio Superphon 100 passive preamp. There are things I really like with the passive. The vocals and mids are unreal. I think I might loose a little bit...
  6. vintage 5.0

Rustnrot is the Best!

I purchased a dac from him. It arrived fast and was like new. It was still in original box like it had never been used. It even had the small screen protector tape on it. He is one great guy to buy from. I would never hesitate to do business with him. I just wanted to say thankyou. Ken
  7. vintage 5.0

Any love of the GAS gear out there

llwhtt you really have some nice Gas gear. I have not had any sumo equipment I am sure it is pretty nice.
  8. vintage 5.0

I just checked with my buddy and mine has the better boards you mentioned. He said the F boards were kind of a mess to work with and that the newer board is much better. That is good information to know that I have the good board.
  9. vintage 5.0

Thanks for sharing that is a really nice looking Amplifier. I am not sure which one mine has. My friend did the rebuild I will have to ask him about it. That is great information thanks.
  10. vintage 5.0

You are not kidding that is a lot to read. Thanks
  11. vintage 5.0

My Grandson is the only one I have with rack handles. My Thalia does not have them. The guy I got the Grandson from had a Thalia and it also had handles. I do not have them on my Sons of Ampzilla but I think maybe they also could have rack handles.
  12. vintage 5.0

Blue Shadow thanks for that information. I have not seen that one before. I had know idea he was involved in that many designs. He certainly made some great sounding pieces. sqlsavior you are right about that amplifier. It just sounds like something special that is a good way to describe it.
  13. vintage 5.0

I started out with a son of Ampzilla that was totally rebuilt. I liked the sound of that I got another and bi amp them. I then got a Thaedra rebuilt and that led to a Ampzilla. I then decided to get a Thalia Preamp. That led me to the Thoebe with Goliath. I really enjoyed all of it set up on...
  14. vintage 5.0

Never play your tube equipment first

First off congrats you found a system that sounds that good to you. That is what this hobby is all about. Second there is a reason that musicians like using tube amps for their guitars. It is a sound to me that is just so musical. Now you can find some gear that to me sounds very tube like. I...
  15. vintage 5.0

Tubed audio and the heat

I live in mid west. We get extreme heat and humidity as well as snow and cold. I keep the tubes running all year long. I just got a new to me set of Golden Tube Audio SE-40 completely rebuilt and they sound so nice. I have them in a room that is not super large but my AC does a great job. I do...
  16. vintage 5.0

Question on splitting phono signal

I guess you are right it does not work. I was kind of wondering if there was something I could do to make it work. I may have not worded it correctly. Is there a way to split the signal is what I am wondering.
  17. vintage 5.0

Question on splitting phono signal

I have one area where I basically run two setups. One is a tube preamp and set of mono amps. The other is a Great American Sound Company solid state pre and amp. I use one set of Thiel speakers CS 3.5 for both set ups with a switch box. My question is I have one turntable there and am now using...
  18. vintage 5.0

Superphon SP-100

2FarGone you are right that is what it does that I like. It just kind of gets out of the way and lets the tube amps play. I have always liked the passive sound. I have had some McCormack passives. I liked them but you really had to match them up right with the other gear. I guess this one you do...
  19. vintage 5.0

Superphon SP-100

There is no phono on this. I guess you could run a phono preamp with it. I just use it on the system I stream on. Thanks for the information. I just know this thing really sounds nice.
  20. vintage 5.0

Superphon SP-100

I picked this up on the local market place. I have to say I had not heard of it before. I did a little research and it had some good feedback. It is a passive preamp with power. I was not familiar with Stan Warren but I have to say it sounds really great. I am playing it with a pair of...
  21. vintage 5.0

Step up transformer question

theflattire my preamp phono stage says you can use if it does not require input sensitivities below 1.6 mv) The rated input impedance is 47K OHMS. (100 pF shunt capacitance) Overload capability is 110 V @ 1kHZ
  22. vintage 5.0

Step up transformer question

What would be a good step up transformer for this cart to hook up to the MM phono preamp.I am asking based on the specs of this cartridge. I am not wanting the brand. I want to know the proper amount of step up I would need for it to sound good.
  23. vintage 5.0

Tone arm weight question

Thanks for the info. I actually put the nut on with some of the blue tac like jeff449 mentioned. It worked really well.
  24. vintage 5.0

Tone arm weight question

I am using a GAS sleeping beauty cartridge I found. It sounds Really nice. It is super light 5.5 grams. I am using a VPI Scout II turntable. It has the JMW memorial tone arm. It will not balance out without me adding some weight to the headshell. I was just curious what others have used for...
Back
Top Bottom