Search results

1. J

Revox A77 tape guides modification?

It's not my experience really, but you are correct at least that tolerances can interfere and it is important to experiment after changing the shims, before you start playing actual tape. My tape stock and archives are Agfa/BASF through RTM, which strictly conform to the standard 6.25 width...
  2. J

0.15 mm in fact (or one 0.2 and one 0.1 mm) so that the total width is 6.3 mm, barely more than the tape which is 6.25 mm wide. You want to keep the gap as narrow as possible, otherwise the phase fluctuations become measurably higher. One of the big weaknesses of the Revox transports IMO. Of...
  3. J

I did measure the W&F and scrape flutter with and without the mod, and I didn't find any difference - which is what I expected since it is on the wrong side of the capstan for that. However it does bring an improvement, by removing a stationary surface where aging tapes leave loose oxide and...
  4. J

What model Dual turntable is this motor from?

Oh no, please don't! I just had not seen immediately that you were talking about the motor + pulley assembly, and not about the motor itself, so the mistake is much more mine than yours.
  5. J

Sure, but it's definitely feasible and I have restored a couple of these motors myself, both the 10xx and 12xx versions. Here is a primer on how to do it: file:///C:/Users/jean-/Downloads/ve_servicing_dual_motors_revision_2.pdf
  6. J

None of the 1000 and 1200 motors are speed adjustable, the speed is adjusted mechanically by the conical stepped pulley. This pulley is easy to change, so you can use the motor as a spare part for any one of the compatible models, and mount on it the pulley that came with your turntable.
  7. J

The best way to find out is to download the service manuals from Vinylengine or other resources on the web. This motor appears in the manuals of (at least) the 1009, 1009 SK, 1010, 1011, 1015, 1016 and 1019. Its reference is 31 N. The 1008 (at least) does not have it. On the 1009 SK, 1010, 1015...
  8. J

Revox Heads

Not made by Revox, and not cheap, but the Italian company Photovox makes new heads, including wide-track ("butterfly") heads, which seem to be a drop in replacement for the originals. Revox-online sells them, although they don't seem to have many types available right now. It may be a good idea...
  9. J

Revox B791 Tonearm motor having trouble returning

Hi Rastapapa, First off, the guide rails must be dry, you need to wipe off any trace of lubricant with alcohol (not acetone, as it will damage the plastic parts that are in contact with the rails) it you want this arm to work properly. If you still have this problem, it is a common fault on the...
  10. J

Shure Shootout: V15V, V15V-MR vs V15-RS/V15VxMR, M97xE, M97xJMR

That's interesting, and reminiscent of the first version of the SAS stylus (https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=41128). Did you try adjusting the load to 26k // 620pF for a flat response? If so, I'd be interested to know what the outcome was.
  11. J

1997 PC amp op amp swap and refresh.

I rather share Brickbat's opinion: your project is very unlikely to bring any improvement, and I don't agree that just because it is 26 years old means your amplifier needs rebuilding, but then it's inexpensive and fairly simple so you don't take a high risk in changing the op amps and 'lytics...
  12. J

what reel size position is better for the machine?

This advice probably sounds odd without explaining the reason, so I'll elaborate. The reason for doing this is that all the recorded tapes develop print-through, which creates a faint copy of the recorded signal from one turn of the spooled tape to the former one and to the next one. This is...
  13. J

1997 PC amp op amp swap and refresh.

In addition to Rothwell's good advice of not fixing something that is not broken, the only identifiable chips on your photos are not really opamps but KA2233's which are a combination of active filters. You cannot replace them with a newer opamp, this would require a redesign of the circuit for...
  14. J

what reel size position is better for the machine?

It does not make much of a difference, the small setting gives a slightly reduced tape tension and that's it. Both settings will give a good spooling, if this is your only goal I would go for the small reel setting for a (very slightly) reduced head wear. Incidentally, I made extensive w&f and...
  15. J

All about dropouts - what’s their cause?

The known causes of drop-outs are dirt, loose oxide, sometimes bad splices and wrinkles caused by mishandling - all causes that make the tape lose contact with the head, even slightly. As soon as a tape has been used, it starts developing all these problems, and the beginning and end of a tape...
  16. J

Source for Open Reel Tapes

Not sure what decks you are referring to when you say that most consumer decks can't handle 1.5 and 2 mil tapes. 1.5 mil (aka 35 µm) is Long Play tape, a very widespread consumer tape thickness, and I have never seen or heard of a deck model that could not handle it. The LPR35, for instance, is...
  17. J

Cleaning thousands of records, chemical safety

Yes, it is best to wear vinyl gloves and work in a well-ventilated area when you use this kind of substances. OTOH if you stick to the library of congress formula there is no problem, Tergitol 15-S-7 is rather safe (MSDS there).
  18. J

Rainy week, time to take the B77 apart

Not necessarily. Recapping requires skills in electronics, working on motors requires skills in mechanics. These are different things, and experience of teaching to beginners taught me that some people have skills and confidence in one domain but not the other. Of course. It's not so much the...
  19. J

I am not so sure. A commonly found ingredient of such solutions, especially in recipes available on the internet (yes, even on AK) is Triton X-100, which is in the Candidate List of Substances of Very High Concern according to the REACH regulation. One of its degradation product is ecotoxic as...
  20. J

Hoppe's 9 silicone gun and reel cloth for tape lube restoration

I know this has already been repeated time and again, but obviously it is still worth giving this link which gives very valuable information gathered by professional experience re. the various degradation modes, how to recognize them, and links to the suitable (temporary) fixes in each case...
  21. J

One word of caution, since IPA and ethyl alcohol have been mentioned: they are safe on vinyl, but will destroy shellac so they must not be used on 78rpm. The library of congress, which I take as a reference re. the preservation of audiovisual material, once advised a mixture of deionized water...
  22. J

Dual 1219 connection

I confirm, these are RCA connectors. For connection to the receiver, you need a good cable with low capacitance and low microphonic effect. The cables that came with your Dual turntable were thin and looked cheap but did the job perfectly, use them if you still have them and if they look in good...
  23. J

I do understand that you may have done this for a living, but it really depends on one's level of confidence and skills. I fully agree that dismantling the capstan motor for a relube while the recorder is on the bench is a very good idea, but personally I always check the performances before and...
  24. J

Tape tension reduction - Tape squeal, Teac 4010s

This is controversial. The tape heads contain potting resin which is a plastic material, and several manufacturers, either specifically advise to stick with alcohol or warn against strong solvents, including acetone: Nagra (page 11 of the Nagra E user manual) say "Alcohol is good but water is...
  25. J

More specifically, the input/output bearings are SKF 626-2Z and the reel motor bearings are SKF 608 (-2Z if you want watertightness, but those than were originally mounted on the motors I serviced are flangeless, plain 608 with not suffix in the SKF nomenclature). As regards the shims, you need...
Back
Top Bottom