Search results

1. 1

Sansui 8080 Reviews

If you look at the for sale 8080 and 9090s they are almost all DB. That is because the dolby usually has some problem. Dolby is the Edsel of electronics. It is something that made history on tape but not much now. There are people making and selling replacement wood cabinets. Ebay has them from...
  2. 1

The BEST AR speakers?

I bought the AR 12s new in '77 for$500 at Pacific Stereo in N.Cal. About 1985 the surrounds and foam grills were shot. I ordered new woofers and foam covers from AR put them in and the surrounds lasted until about 2010. I refoamed the 10" and the midrange. They are just fantastic sounding. I...
  3. 1

Opinions On AR-12 Speakers

Back in the 70s I read a lot of Rolling Stone which in those days was a great publication as was Esquire. Stereo equipment was the big deal along with cocaine and drunk driving. I was sick of my Quadraflex system and spent a lot of time researching equipment. I finally walked into Pacific...
  4. 1

Vintage table radios

I'd try and find one of the large floor model Magnavox, Zenith or Philco sets. They have big great sounding speakers and their antennas are larger and really reach out. At night you can switch to SW and pick up radio from all over the world. All with no additional antenna. I used to dial up...
  5. 1

Marantz vs The Rest of Them

"I don’t remember any lunch from Korea. Are you referring to the Korean War?". In the 80-90s consumers of sheet steel could get high quality, clean rolled steel for less than not so good US made stuff. My brother worked for a large ship building company in N.Washington state, They bought a lot...
  6. 1

It is amazing how quality gave us receivers that last for 40+ years while modern consumer electronics are lucky to last 5. I worked for Pacific Telephone and it's reiterations (Pacific Telesis etc) for over 40 years, last decade as an engineer. They offered the best equipment (Western...
  7. 1

Agree. The only argument I'll have is that after WW2 both Japan and Germany had their industrial plant replaced by the Marshall plan to the tune of $15B US. They started out with the latest technology in steel production and industrial systems while the US tried to compete with vintage 1930s...
  8. 1

I didn't mean that Sony was junk, that was the opinion of a lot of stereo buyers. I was crazy for their Trinatron TVs, expensive but miles ahead of the other brands. Other brands would die after a couple of years, the Sony lasted decades. I would say that a lot of stereo gear was well made and...
  9. 1

I became interested in Stereo Systems in the 70s. I was a reader of Rolling Stone magazine and I enjoyed music. My first equipment was a Quadraflex system from Pacific Stereo out here on the West coast. It was a good system from my perspective at the time. After a few years, I had a bit more...
  10. 1

Modern Speakers vs Vintage?

The first ARs looked like they were made in a middle school shop class. They are stunningly crude and unfinished. Almost like they were saying "Take it or Leave it". The later ARs, 10s,11s,12s and beyond were nicely done and very attractive. I think that the large Advents are beautiful in a...
  11. 1

Modern Speakers vs Vintage?

SR 71 was difficult and expensive to make because of the heat it produced within its operating envelope. No other aircraft came close. Amazing discussions. Opinions are verboten? I see the two types of speakers New vs Vintage as two entirely different paths to the same destination. Like a...
  12. 1

Old Farts And Music Hating: I Got To Say I Like This Stuff

"Something/Anything" is a fabulous album and Rundgren is a superior talent. He also ran around with some of the best looking women on the planet, so there must be more to him than just his music. "Hello, It's Me"......
  13. 1

Extinction of larger woofer speakers ?

I actually joined this forum in 2009 and at that time my friend Ray had just been killed. I was trying to think of a good name and Ray's MOS just sounded right at the time. He was in IFFV 50th Inf but was about 6 months after I had left. At the time, it wasn't a "Be All You Can Be" moment...
  14. 1

Off subject but I take it you are/were an 11B? No, but my dead buddy Ray Barrios was. I was drafted but lucked out into a Corp Signal Bn in II Corps. Pleiku, AnKhe, Bong Son etc. 1966/67
  15. 1

Loudness controls.

deleated
  16. 1

I should clarify: I own no Nickleback or Foo Fighters albums, I've heard some songs and I like them. My proudest moments are I own no U2 albums ( I would buy a video of Bonehead being flogged) and zero Grateful Dead albums. I heard a Counting Crow song called "Baby I'm a big star now." it was...
  17. 1

Loudness controls.

Touche......it wasn't bought for better stereo listening, it was cheap and I could afford it and it happened to be on a hill with neighbors 100 ft away.
  18. 1

Look at the post above mine (grillbilly) mine is just that one continued in a different direction. The remarks about the smaller speakers are just for amusement, in fact the whole thing is for amusement. I think that when all is said and done, the survey speaks for itself. If I'm looking at the...
  19. 1

A harsh perspective? Yeah.. Thug life? If I have to explain it to you you'll never get it or agree with the position. "is just your perspective," isn't that what a forum is all about? My favorite artist is Caravaggio and yes, a lot of art was bad. "has nothing to do with the recording itself"...
  20. 1

Loudness controls.

I always wanted to live in a place where I could turn up my music as loud as I liked. I bought this place 10 years ago. it sits on a hill with a 3 acre field behind and the nearest neighbors are 100 feet away and below me. I have had my Sansui 8080 and AR 12s for 45 years. The speakers really...
  21. 1

System only as good as weakest link

I find this stuff fascinating. Old really good quality machines that are so well built that they last decades. At a time when home electronics are designed for about 5 years. Open my 8080 and it is a marvel, a mystery. Open a later Indian Sansui and it looks like a small child built it. Paper...
  22. 1

Bore X Bore X Stroke X .7854 X number of cylinders = Displacement Small speakers appeal to a customer that doesn't want really loud music because they don't like it and the neighbors don't like it. They are probably very accurate or whatever the descriptive adjective is for that, and not...
  23. 1

I'm 76 now. I worked for the Phone Co for about 40 years and watched American's quality standards decline like a rock. The old phones worked flawlessly and service was impeccable. Then they tossed service out the window and went to cell and the phones and service are just shitty. The customers...
  24. 1

If you ever get a chance, read the info flyer that is in the album "Goucho". Becker and Fagan are perfectionists and the 1500 word (or so) rant about making the album is hilarious. I think that it broke their collective backs getting it right. I like their music a lot. Michael McDonald got his...
  25. 1

Question on Sansui 8080

My system is a Sansui 8080 with AR 12s, AR XB. Original owner bought in 70s. I have my receiver in an extremely tight fitting cabinet open at the front and back. The air flow around the Sansui is not good so I mounted a couple of 5" whisper fans on the steel grill on the rear of the unit. They...
Back
Top Bottom