Search results

1. MoreBeer

Should I Sell My Vintage System Or Not?

I'm torn with the decision of selling my vintage setup as I don't really use it that much, yet when I do, I really enjoy it. I'd likely keep a few of my nicer cassette decks and the better of my reel to reel decks but everything else would go. I find myself using my new system daily yet even...
  2. MoreBeer

Dokorder 1140 Mint Value?

100% working Dokorder 1140 that is perfect and was never used, not a mark on it. Really, it was never used with the exception of trying it when bought as new, Just wondering what this may be worth?
  3. MoreBeer

Technics SL-1300 Startup Issue

Just recently started having a problem with my old Technics SL-1300. When I move the tonearm towards the platter, it doesn't spin and just gently shakes back and forth a fraction of an inch. But if I then give it a light push, the platter spins normally with no other problems and the speed is...
  4. MoreBeer

Not Selling This But Oh How Times Have Changed!

Back in 2010 I almost made the BIG MISTAKE of selling off my vintage system as I was growing tired of it. I listed the below gear as a complete package deal on eBay and CL for $1800 and nobody wanted it! Could you believe that? And everything was and still is working and in pristine condition...
  5. MoreBeer

A Very Different Beer To Try ★★★★

While cruising my local beer isles I stumbled upon Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, which I never tried and decided to snap it up. $11 six pack. To my surprise, this gimmicky brew was quite good! It had a nice roasted malty flavor, quite sweet but not quite overpoweringly so with hints of...
  6. MoreBeer

Excellent Beer Pairing Tonight!

I often like to find two beers that go well together. As in a stronger and contrasting brew following a lighter, yet full-flavored beer. Tonight enjoyed one of my favorite pairings..... Beer #1 Pint bottle of Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier ★★★. A very crisp, tasty and easy to drink Weiss...
  7. MoreBeer

I'm Starting To Really Like Processed Sound

Bought a Yamaha AV receiver in December (TSR-7810) for my TV room and have some nice speakers hooked up to it. Big ass Klipsch towers and SVS subs. And I must say, I'm liking the sound of most music when using the Movie Theater Standard mode as opposed to Straight or Pure Direct. Or for that...
  8. MoreBeer

Sam Adams '76 - Worst Beer Ever!

So, after enduring the onslaught of commercials for Sam Adams '76 beer, I decided to give it a try and picked up a six pack. Okay....I'm going to keep this short: This is possibly the worst beer I have ever tasted! The most accurate description is taking 50% Budweiser and mixing with 50%...
  9. MoreBeer

Bitcoin Explained

Let me review and clarify the Bitcoin process: #1 You decide to buy yourself a Bitcoin. (Notice this requires actual real money to make the purchase) #2 You receive nothing and some guy in Hong Kong now has your $8,000 in real money. #3 The end. Understand now? Okay....good.
  10. MoreBeer

Lately I've Been Into Lo-Fi!

Yep....for some reason I've been enjoying listening to an old Panasonic cheapo plastic boombox type radio. The exact one in the photo below although this isn't my pic, but it's the exact same radio I have from the 80's I would imagine. It started when my bedroom TV broke a week ago and I dug...
  11. MoreBeer

Rory McIlroy

It's kind of ironic that Rory McIlroy is pissing, moaning, tired of heckling and thinks limiting alcohol sales at PGA events is the answer. First off, this clown should look into the mirror and come to the realization that nobody likes him. Or at least the majority of golfers and golf fans...
  12. MoreBeer

The EMIT's In My Quantum 2's Are Weak...Likely Due To Age?

I've noticed the EMIT's in my Quantum 2's are very weak which doesn't bother me that much as I also use a pair of small speakers along with them which are very bright to fill the void. Although I'd like to add some pop back to these. I did replace the mids and mid bass with new, similar...
  13. MoreBeer

Using Low Cost Polk R-15's?

This is kind of a combo home theater / speaker question. But since it's really about speakers, I didn't post in the home theater thread. I'm thinking about adding small front Presence speakers to my new HT system. I'm really not into all that surround crap and center channel speakers which...
  14. MoreBeer

Almost Blew Up My Speakers Last Night

Still somewhat in the experimental phase with the new HT system. Last week was trying the wireless network hard drive connections and also streaming music from my Phone and iPod just to see if that all works. And surprisingly, it works very well and super easy. In fact, streaming from the...
  15. MoreBeer

Chinese Knockoff Speakers

Anyone ever see these Mistral speakers on eBay? They appear to be somewhat of a knockoff of B&W's 800 series. The sellers store has other knockoff type products and speakers as well. I have NO affiliation whatsoever. Just happened to stumble onto these the other night after watching a video...
  16. MoreBeer

Merry Christmas To Me!

Just picked up what looks like a great deal at Costco. A new Yamaha TSR-7810 receiver at only $399! This is pretty much similar to Yamaha receivers that cost about twice that price. Could be a Costco only item although I have seen it on Amazon at $550 or so. Might be someone buying them at...
  17. MoreBeer

Replacing The Big Electrolytic Caps In Quantum 2

I rebuilt the crossovers in my Q2's and replaced everything except the two big electrolytic caps and the inductors. I also wound up keeping the old pots and just cleaning them as the new pots I found were a little big as a drop in without some mods. They old pots now work and spec fine. Upon...
  18. MoreBeer

Midbass Driver Replacement - Quantum Series

Currently doing a ton of work on a pair of Quantum 2's and although the original midbass drivers do work, I'm thinking about replacing with new drivers. Been looking around and have a few bookmarked but am curious if anyone else has replaced them and what was used? On another note, I ordered a...
  19. MoreBeer

Infinity Quantum 2 - High Impedance Readings

I haven't used my Q2's in a while as they no longer sound that great and have haven't had the time to look at them internally. Anyhow, the other day I hooked them up again just to see if they still work. All the drivers function although the sound is very poor. Just no life to these things...
  20. MoreBeer

Yamaha CX-1000 - Headphone Jack Replacement?

Was doing some maintenance on my CX-1000 preamp such as cleaning the pots and switches last night and one thing I wanted to look at was the headphone jack which isn't working correctly. Upon inserting the the plug into the jack, the left channel can be heard (slightly) and once the plug is...
  21. MoreBeer

Using Non-Watkins Woofers On Quantum 2?

I have a pair of Q2's I'm the original owner of, bought new in 1977 back when the pyramids were built. They're old and sound like crap. I would imagine the crossovers need to be rebuilt along with new wiring to just about everything and pray it brings some life back to them. Anyhow, I'll get...
  22. MoreBeer

Yamaha cx1000u Headphone Output Issue

The headphone jack on my Yamaha cx1000u preamp just started acting up. If plugged into it all the way, only the right channel can be heard although its not as loud as it should be. Moving the jack out a bit and the left channel can be heard, but not the right channel, and again, not a normal...
  23. MoreBeer

My Quantum 2's Sound Like Crap?

I'm the original owner of these speakers, bought them back in 1978 I believe. Anyhow, although all the drivers work (I did repair the tinsels on a few of the mids), they don't sound as good as they should. Seems to be somewhat muted, lacking crispness and without that chest thumping low-end...
  24. MoreBeer

What Is This System Worth?

I'd like to get some feedback on what the below system as a whole might be worth. That's all. Thank you. Yamaha MX-1000U Amp Yamaha MX-800U Amp Yamaha CX-1000U Preamp Yamaha KX-580 Cassette Yamaha KX-R470 Cassette Yamaha T-60 Tuner Yamaha CDC-665 CD Yamaha EQ-1100U Equalizer Pioneer RT-1011L...
  25. MoreBeer

iPod Dock With Remote?

Any suggestions on a good iPod dock with a remote? A few years ago I bought this DLO brand with a remote that displayed the iPod data. Although it looked cool and seemed to be a good concept, it sucked and cost about $130 back then. Half the time it doesn't charge the iPod or the remote is...
Back
Top Bottom