Search results

1. D

Yamaha Preamps

have to say, I love my c-70 control amp (preamp). amazing thing....
  2. D

Protection lamp on M70

I use an m-70 to drive my main studio monitors in my recording studio (home studio, but serious all the same and used for pro session work). they're amazing amps. mine has a couple of leds out as well, not that I care really other than as a nice cosmetic thing. I'm amazed and happy that...
  3. D

What amp drives your Infinities?

rs-6b pair highly modded (completely different after market woofers - my choice, and no I'm not a speaker design fool I actually know what I'm doing and am a recording engineer so no flames please LoL)... anyway powered by a yamaha m-70 power amp (and c-70 preamp)
  4. D

Watkins woofers- what's so special about them?

Hi Ibanez 59er, maybe you should just look into buying a full pair of Watkins speakers. they make some astounding systems. for me the amazing infinity thing has always been the mids and highs, the bass is, well, it's bass, and from my experience is something that is much more about design...
  5. D

Too much bass!

I don't understand this thread. what does "too much bass" mean? I've had plenty of "not enough bass" in my life. too much bass.... go figure... I never even fathomed that it could happen. LoL (just kidding) PS - the "speaker level inputs" are a real thing heh heh. Most powered...
  6. D

Which vintage loudspeakers for classical music?

my favs in a big room used to be Hartsfields with rich/warm sounding pre/power amp combinations driving them. amazing experience in many ways. Horns really do work well for classical, at least Great horns like the hartsfields. also certain transmission line systems are great for...
  7. D

Hartsfield help

my hartsfields always worked great. you're plugging it into the speaker outputs of yoru amp right? not the ac in your wall? LoL - just kidding. they DO have ancient crossover components - if it's just humming then it's likely shorting out or something and killing your amp. disconnect it...
  8. D

Most Obscure Equipment Ever Owned

my dbx stereo dynamic range expander was sort of obscure, certainly not a typical addition to most stereos anyway... ummmm, let's see here.... my telefunken receiver - that was an oddball unit, wierd size (reeeeeally wide, strange controls, din and rca ins/outs, AMAZING sound back in the...
  9. D

Yamaha KX-393 Score

also known as playback azimuth?? If so then I didn't know that deck had that feature!
  10. D

Ripleys believe it or not ... warped record

I used to think I had the same thing happen with zep I. turns out I have two copies, 1 warped, 1 not. strange stuff.... I must have adopted my brother's copy at some point many years back.
  11. D

Just Got Some Very Unusual Motorola Tweeters

check the radio shack catalogs from the early 1980s (83? off the top of my head, maybe not the exact year though, my memory is fading as I get older LoL) they were sold by radio shack (rebadged as optimus or whatever) so they're basic specs are in there.
  12. D

The Best Selling, Good Sounding Vintage Speakers Of All Time?

yea, and I'd qualify the "good sounding" part too. min-7s are good sounding considering they have 4" woofers and 1" tweets with terrible crossovers in a convoluted design (convoluted crossover I mean). they really do sound good, but not so when compared to almost any other quality speaker that...
  13. D

Paradigm Mini Monitor Tweeters

those vifas were used in a ton of canadian speakers (and I'm sure other country's speakers) from the 80s. I've picked up two pairs of paradigm esm speakers for free from craigslist over the past few months with perfect 3/4" vifa tweeters. check pawnshops and other used bargain stores with lots...
  14. D

The Best Selling, Good Sounding Vintage Speakers Of All Time?

gotta be the advents, I'd say followed by AR, then likely followed by a more modern (but still vintage-ish) EPI. In canada I'd say the #1 "vintage" speaker was the small canadian Energy esm-series model with the 6.5" woofer and 3/4" vifa tweeter. it's so common on craigslist that I have two...
  15. D

look what I missed out on...

well said...
  16. D

Best digital audio source?

oh, and +1 for flac. flac, ogg and one or two other file formats are lossless and therefore virtually perfect. I listen to both flacs and oggs on my ipod an on my software players when possible. both sound identical to me.
  17. D

Best digital audio source?

actually, in the recording industry, assuming physical delivery is desired and non in a "I'm sending my hard drive to you" sort of way (which DOES happen, at least in the mixing stage).... I'd say that cd-24 is the standard used most of the time. It's what many MANY albums are burned to in 2...
  18. D

look what I missed out on...

... this was in the local craigslist but about an hour away from me, I couldn't arrange to be there fast enough: "Moving and must get rid of some stuff - FREE - must pick up 1978 Pioneer Stereo Receiver JVC Stereo Cassette Deck 1 old turntable 3 Sony portable CD, tape and radio decks Akai reel...
  19. D

Vibracones...

that's brilliant! I'm going to try that! I mean I'm actually going to try that exact thing. Often when I say stuff like that I never get around to it, but this time I'm 100% dedicated to doing exactly what you did. good idea!
  20. D

Vibracones...

sorry, when I read "vibracones" thought of the infamous ad for panasonic Thrusters (crappy speakers) that had a passive radiator they called a "vibra-cone" in their marketing paraphernalia. Happy to see I was wrong :-) cheers, Don
  21. D

Does your set's outlook matter?

thanks you - I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem ;-) I agree, asthetics are important, just not something I could take into account in my own audio setup unless I was willing to shell out some big bucks that simply didn't exist in my budget. If I could choose though, champaign...
  22. D

Does your set's outlook matter?

I prefer anything over black faced gear with offwhite markings. I have a lot of trouble seeing the markings, I find the look dull in most cases (there are exceptions though), and to me it takes away the individuality of the manufacturer's designs. however, other than my old technics receiver...
  23. D

Surround Bass

oh.......... darn. just that setup eh? life's tough ;-) I have a feeling that your HT setup sounds at least as good as my local cineplex :-)
  24. D

Surround Bass

cool, all of that confirms my suspicions thanks and as for experimenting to get your setup - that's the spice of life eh? :-)
  25. D

Holiday Music!

PS - if you want a (slightly) better sounding file I can setup a wav download for anyone interested. But it'll sound about the same, it's pop rock after all, and the recording quality was good but not pristine since I originally recorded it all without intention of releasing it.
Back
Top Bottom